Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #16
king khan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 185
Default Re: Did anybody justify Lewis/Holyfield, and Whitaker/Chavez?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post
If i remember correctly, after DLH-Tito, didn't DLH get a lot of shit from people for basically running for the last few rounds?

yeah. . i wasn't a huge boxing fan back then, as i only watched the big fights, and i couldn't really break down what was actually going on, I just "knew" who won, and who didn't win like most mainstream fans. . . me and my dad both thought DLH won, but were in awe of how he completely gave up the last few rounds. . . i need to go back and watch that fight sometime. . . cause i have heard a good amonut of people say that the fight really was a draw.

Recently, in an artcile discussing DLH, and how he came out and apologized for all his antics outside the ring, the writer said: "forget the crossdressing pictures, forget the cocaine, but did Oscar ever apologize for the last rounds against Trinidad"?
king khan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
Joe.Boxer
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

vCash: 240

stfu noobs.

Barry McGuigan scored Holyfield-Lewis again during a replay on Sky Sports and had it for Lewis by only 1 round, so he didn't think the draw was outrageous. Boxing Monthly didn't kick up much of a stink either.
Joe.Boxer is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2012, 07:58 AM   #18
Young Terror
O.G
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post
If i remember correctly, after DLH-Tito, didn't DLH get a lot of shit from people for basically running for the last few rounds?
Yes he did.

He was called Chicken De La hoya.

For quite some time.
Young Terror is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #19
Zopilote
Dinamita
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Terror View Post
Well theres always biased fans who think the decisions were fair.

I bet theres a lot of mexican fans who think that decision was fair.

But most thought that both decisions were awful.
Actually, MOST Mexicans thought Pernell was robbed...and rightfully so.

Puerto Ricans on the other hand...try their very hardest to justify the Tito/Oscar robbery.
Zopilote is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #20
king khan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zopilote View Post
Actually, MOST Mexicans thought Pernell was robbed...and rightfully so.

Puerto Ricans on the other hand...try their very hardest to justify the Tito/Oscar robbery.
Damnit I LOVE the Mex/PR rivalry!

From a neutral white boy perspective, I tend to favor the Mexicanos, though. . . I like the classical mexican boxer/puncher school (best professor is Nacho) attended by Marquez, Sanchez, DLH, and my personal favorite mexican, and one of my all-time favorites, FINITO! And to an extent, Abner Mares is also part of this school - as he is one of the last true combination punchers in boxing. . .
king khan is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #21
Boom_Boom
R.I.P Boxing 6/9/12
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Holyfield and Chavez won rounds by beating Whitaker and Lewis through "Compubox time." Ignore the fact that they were hurt or took too many shots in a 30 second span aslong as they were winning most of the round with effective aggression like blocked punches then they win the round .... Deal with it.
Boom_Boom is offline  Top
Old 06-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #22
zulander
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom_Boom View Post
Holyfield and Chavez won rounds by beating Whitaker and Lewis through "Compubox time." Ignore the fact that they were hurt or took too many shots in a 30 second span aslong as they were winning most of the round with effective aggression like blocked punches then they win the round .... Deal with it.
eh???

Lewis beat Holyfield easy. Holy basically didn't start trying till the 4th 'cause thats when he had predicted he would stop lewis. The rematch was actually closer than the draw although i had Lewis winning both.

Lewis was in control for 90% of the 1st fight and did everything better than holy, landed the big cleaner punches didn't take to many in return. I remember watching the BBC news before the fight and the US fans were all convinced Holyfield would win easily. When they interviewed people afterwards they were all shocked at the result and agreed Lewis should have won.

from BBC
..'many of the pundits had the British fighter clearly outpointing his veteran American opponent'.

'Close to tears, Lewis's trainer Emanuel Steward said his fighter would be forced to accept the decision, but added: "This is what is killing boxing."

Holyfield's body language at the final bell suggested he felt beaten, as his opponent threw his arms in the air and jumped up and down'

'Even the raw statistics of the fight strongly suggested the bout belonged to the British boxer. Lewis threw 348 punches that connected to Holyfield's 130, and he landed 137 jabs to the American's 52'
zulander is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum