Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 06-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #1
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Hardest Hitting Heavyweight

Who was the hardest hitting heavyweight?

Here are some names I've heard mentioned:

Bob Fitzsimmons
Max Baer
Joe Louis
Rocky Marciano
Sonny Liston
George Foreman
Earnie Shavers
David Tua
Mike Tyson
Lennox Lewis

My guess is that George Foreman would have struck the hardest single blow, but who knows.

Last edited by BillB; 06-17-2012 at 07:52 PM.
BillB is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Hardest Hitting Heavyweight

Shavers right hand, however an accumulation of both he could very well be near the bottom. I'd take Foreman with the combination of both.
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
Who was the hardest hitting heavyweight?

Here are some names I've heard mentioned:

Bob Fitzsimmons
Max Baer
Joe Louis
Rocky Marciano
Sonny Liston
George Foreman
Earnie Shavers

My guess is that George Foreman would have struck the hardest single blow, but who knows.
Pretty sure I'd go with either Big George or Big Max on one shot power? Although then again did Ali say Shavers hit him harder than anyone? I know Curtis Hatchet Man Sheppard said Louis could really hurt you but Baer could KILL YOU by accident - that's how hard he hit - Jersey Jow Walcott called Marciano a harder puncher with each shot than Louis so bizarrely is Louis last on this list in terms of one shot power - hard to swallow if you've seen the right hand that Uzcudun swallowed from him?? Oh actually no Fitz is on there isn't he so I'd definately have him as overpowering Louis - suppose Fitz was uncanny for his size/frame/weight but I just can't fathom that he could have generated the kind of power those other monsters could bomb you with so if I was forced at gun point I'd probably have it:

Foreman
Baer
Marciano
Shavers
Louis
Liston
Fitz

Only one that rattles me in terms of position is Liston tbh but he's definately more powerful overall than Fitz no doubt whatsoever
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

David Tua.
brnxhands is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

David Tua for the left hook, Lennox or Tyson for the right hand.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
hookfromhell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 427

Out of this list Id have to go with Foreman overall, and
Baer and Shavers for one punch power. I believe
Tyson, Lewis, a few others should be mentioned.
hookfromhell is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookfromhell View Post
Out of this list Id have to go with Foreman overall, and
Baer and Shavers for one punch power. I believe
Tyson, Lewis, a few others should be mentioned.
I'll add some more names to the list.
Thanks
BillB is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
Anubis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
Shavers right hand, however an accumulation of both he could very well be near the bottom. I'd take Foreman with the combination of both.
For whatever it's worth, every single common opponent of both Shavers and Foreman, Ali, Young, Lyle, Norton, Caldwell and Polite, all rated Earnie's punching power as clearly superior to George's. No question that Foreman had vastly superior physical strength, but these six impeccably qualified first hand authorities were unanimous as to who was definitely the harder puncher, and it was not George.

All common opponents of Max Baer and Joe Louis rated Maxie's power far over Joe's for punch for punch concussive impact, and Hatchetman Sheppard was one sparring partner who agreed with this overwhelming consensus. Very significant that Braddock, Uzcudun and Schmeling were among those individuals, because they were on the receiving end of the three hardest single punches the Bomber ever delivered in competition. It was Joe's delivery, timing and placement that made him a superior knockout artist to the Larruper, not brute force.
Anubis is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
For whatever it's worth, every single common opponent of both Shavers and Foreman, Ali, Young, Lyle, Norton, Caldwell and Polite, all rated Earnie's punching power as clearly superior to George's. No question that Foreman had vastly superior physical strength, but these six impeccably qualified first hand authorities were unanimous as to who was definitely the harder puncher, and it was not George.
I know that man, in fact I'm one if the ones who argues Shavers case as the biggest hitter . The only argument against him being the biggest puncher would be his left hand is significantly weaker than his right hand. The right hand was probably the hardest hitting in the history whereas his left wouldn't even be top 20 in my eyes. Combining both hands Foreman is the biggest hitter in my eyes, but it would take a pretty cried and narrow minded person to say that shavers right hand was better than foreman's in terms of power.
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Shavers' left hand was void of any real power. Strange when you consider the thunder in his right hand.

I may actually go for Tyson here. Not in a shot for shot sense, but because he was so explosive and quick, that it increased the chances of the opponent not seeing the shot coming. Any fighter knows that they are the shots which finish you.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Axel Schulz could pulverize. Most of his contracts had incentive clauses to NOT go for the KO, lest he kill anyone.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
Anubis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
David Tua for the left hook, Lennox or Tyson for the right hand.
Tillis and Holmes seem to have made it pretty clear that Earnie's force was superior to Mike's, and they're the two common opponents of both. Shavers nearly destroyed James with a single right hand, obviously infinitely more devastating than anything Tyson unloaded on Tillis. Earnie has indicated that the right he floored Larry with may well have been the hardest single shot he landed in his career, and Holmes has also been quoted as saying that was indeed the hardest blow he was ever on the receiving end of. Certainly, Tyson was the far more effective and accurate puncher, but he seems disqualified as the harder hitter based upon the accounts of Holmes and Tillis.
Anubis is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #13
Anubis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
Shavers' left hand was void of any real power. Strange when you consider the thunder in his right hand.
He decked Lyle with his left (on film), and Ron was in very serious trouble, having great difficulty beating the count. When he got to his feet, the bell saved him before Earnie had a chance to follow up.

It was a Shavers left hook that initially stunned Norton (on a live ABC broadcast), and sent Kenny on the path to ruin. (Cosell made sure before the bell to let viewers know that "his left is good too!")

Jimmy Young was only ever decked by Earnie. Shavers did it in both their bouts, and the left hook was responsible both times.

"He hit me, and the floor came up!"-Ron Lyle, in describing what it was like to be decked by Earnie's left.

Not sure why this myth about Shavers being a one handed puncher keeps persisting. Earnie was no Ingo. What he did to Norton, Lyle and Young does nothing to support the myth that his "left hand was void of any real power."
Anubis is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

By punch

Jab- probably liston or Holmes.
right cross- Joe Louis
Overhand right- Earnie Shavers/ Max Baer/ Lennox Lewis
Roundhouse right (alias right hook)- George Foreman then Mike Tyson
Looping left hook- David Tua then maybe Frazier but he's not a one shot guy
Left hook- liston again although possibly Dempsey
Left uppercut- marciano and Ruddock. I feel weird leaving Suzie Q. off
Right uppercut- mike Tyson, Foreman, shavers. Lewis not far behind, although it was more of a combo thing, hold with the left hit with the right.

A determined W. Klitschko had a great jab/hook/ right cross. Bowe had great uppercuts. maybe Johansson should be there.

Bodypunchers- Bob Fitzsimmons, Jack Dempsey, Rocky Marciano, Joe Frazier, young Mike Tyson
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 06-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #15
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

No idea but I would be scared more of Big George's thunder.
turbotime is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum