Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
roller
I am the one who knocks!

vCash: 300
Default Sore hands?

Started boxing training two weeks ago, three times per week, and for the last couple of sessions I've noticed pain in both of my hands (particularly the index and middle fingers) when hitting the heavy bag and the pads.

Is this simply an issue everyone experiences when they first start? I've been using wraps from the start as I had previously broken my hand, but even with the wraps they're both quite sore and causes me to wince when punching. I obviously can't use as much power as I would like, either.

So yeah, something everyone experiences or could something else be wrong? Could it just be bad technique? Anything I can do to strengthen the hands and prevent this kind of thing? Any help appreciated.

Cheers.

Last edited by roller; 06-19-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: *Meant the middle finger, not ring finger.
roller is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Sore hands?

Try using 16oz gloves these will cushion the blow ,,yes you will feel a little slower at first ,but you will soon get used to them
123ko is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
roller
I am the one who knocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
I for one had horrendous, atrocious technique while starting off and never encountered it. I suggest not boxing for a little while to let it heal and if it continues go see a doctor or something. Any swelling? Any pain at all outside of boxing?

No swelling at all, and no pain when I'm not boxing. They only have that kind of uncomortable feeling you get when you need to crack your hands, if you know what I mean.

I iced them whenever I got home this evening to see if it would help. Will probably do the same tomorrow and then on Wednesday afternoon. Don't want to stop going to training, but I suppose I could focus on my technique and footwork instead of hitting the bag with any sort of force.
roller is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller View Post
No swelling at all, and no pain when I'm not boxing. They only have that kind of uncomortable feeling you get when you need to crack your hands, if you know what I mean.

I iced them whenever I got home this evening to see if it would help. Will probably do the same tomorrow and then on Wednesday afternoon. Don't want to stop going to training, but I suppose I could focus on my technique and footwork instead of hitting the bag with any sort of force.
Do you find it hard making a complete Fist
scrap is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
roller
I am the one who knocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Do you find it hard making a complete Fist
No, but I do feel a bit of tightness and discomfort in each of my index and middle fingers.

Could it be that my wrist is at the wrong angle, causing my fingers to hit the bag/pads before my knuckles?
roller is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #6
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller View Post
No, but I do feel a bit of tightness and discomfort in each of my index and middle fingers.

Could it be that my wrist is at the wrong angle, causing my fingers to hit the bag/pads before my knuckles?
It could be the Tendons in the Elbow , have Tighten through impact, causing Stress with movement of the wrist and Hand. They are what causes the wrist to turn, and helps with Finger movement. When this happens it restricts mobility and movement of making a Fist.
scrap is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing