JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marlon Starling vs Terry Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster
Birth of an idiot: John Thomas
Remember i used that one on you? Ahhhhh they were the days.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 06:30 PM   #48
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1
Remember i used that one on you? Ahhhhh they were the days.
Those were the days? If this is true you should have no problem finding it and displaying it. Dates never lie unlike you.

John I own you. We're talking 100%, Terry Norris-Ray Leonard owned.
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #49
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
it must really hurt to lose in this manner when a man coming off a 3 year layoff, never having fought at middleweight upsets the 3-1 odds only to lose the way he did to another 3-1 underdog when Leonard had all the advantages.

If they can brag about the win over Hagler how much more do we have a right to claim the superiority of Norris?
There is only one small difference.

Leonard didn't fight Norris until 4 years after the Hagler fight, and in the meantime, only fought 3 times in that period. If age and inactivity are totally irrelevant then I can't wait to see Norris's next comeback. Hell, he was only around 31 when he lost to Rosenblatt and 2 other mediocrities.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 02-25-2008, 10:37 PM   #50
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo
There is only one small difference.

Leonard didn't fight Norris until 4 years after the Hagler fight, and in the meantime, only fought 3 times in that period. If age and inactivity are totally irrelevant then I can't wait to see Norris's next comeback. Hell, he was only around 31 when he lost to Rosenblatt and 2 other mediocrities.
So what? He didnt have the 3 years inactivity like he had going into the Hagler fight so that should have made him that much better.

He also didnt have the disadvantage of never having fought at a weight two divisions too high as he had going into the Hagler fight.

He won his last fight by a landslide.

His legs and combinations were working as well as I'd seen for some time.

He was active roughly once a year and had previously fought twice in 89 and counting the Hagler fight, makes four times since the Hagler fight. That makes 45 rounds, more than enough to shake off the rust and we must never forget who had the better competition-Ray Leonard by a mile which all lead to Leonard being installed a 3-1 favorite and rightfully so.

Let's stop denying the greatness that was Norris. You're fabricating this problem of ring rust, a tactic borne of desperation.

We know in our hearts Norris won fair and square because he was the much better fighter and that leonard didnt really deserve to be in the same ring with him. That was proven that night in the ring where fights are always won.

It looked really bad for Norris going into the fight because Leonard had wins over the cream of the crop and had the crowd on his side 100% as always.

Can you tell me why Leonard was installed a 3-1 favorite, Magoo?

It seems pretty silly to say that Norris should have been held as the favorite when Leonard had everything in his favor or to say that Leonard SUDDENLY went into decline just because Norris wasn't expected to win.

This wasn't just a narrow, questionable win mind you. Norris didnt have to rely on the judges for a gift decision or a gift stoppage or have to come from behind. This was total domination!

The kind not seen since Buster Douglas destroyed Mike Tyson in Tokyo. Norris became the teacher and leonard became the student in the most unexpected role reversal. Leonard tried and tried but the young boxing wizard was too much for him.

leonard had never seen the like-couldnt cope with him on the outside and he couldnt cope with him on the inside. That's why he was forced to endure a painful and embarassing beating for 12 rounds.

When you win fights as easy as Terry won his, you get ALL the bragging rights.

Norris gave Leonard a complete boxing lesson with his superior skills. He intimidated him, hurt him, floored him, knocked his tooth out, and sent him into retirement, this time for 6 years. He was leonard's worst nightmare and when it came to showtime, he didnt know what the **** he was doing. He was so used to fighting club fighters and washed up relics.

In a way it's his own fault. Taking fights with club fighters and worn out pugs made him delusional enough to think that it could prepare him enough to deal with the speed and tenacity of young upcoming lions like Terry Norris.

Fighting the Kevin Howards and Don Lalonds, don't prepare you for this kind of fighter and they never will. In the years he was wasting time on those relics and tomato cans he could have been testing his skills with Curry, Honeyghan, a young Hagler, Nunn, Kalambay, Julian Jackson, McCallum.

Marlon Starling? That would be a waste of time - a one sided beating of some helpless, moron. Leonard KO 14 Starling.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:23 AM   #51
Sister Sledge
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
So what? He didnt have the 3 years inactivity like he had going into the Hagler fight so that should have made him that much better.

He also didnt have the disadvantage of never having fought at a weight two divisions too high as he had going into the Hagler fight.

He won his last fight by a landslide.

His legs and combinations were working as well as I'd seen for some time.

He was active roughly once a year and had previously fought twice in 89 and counting the Hagler fight, makes four times since the Hagler fight. That makes 45 rounds, more than enough to shake off the rust and we must never forget who had the better competition-Ray Leonard by a mile which all lead to Leonard being installed a 3-1 favorite and rightfully so.

Let's stop denying the greatness that was Norris. You're fabricating this problem of ring rust, a tactic borne of desperation.

We know in our hearts Norris won fair and square because he was the much better fighter and that leonard didnt really deserve to be in the same ring with him. That was proven that night in the ring where fights are always won.

It looked really bad for Norris going into the fight because Leonard had wins over the cream of the crop and had the crowd on his side 100% as always.

Can you tell me why Leonard was installed a 3-1 favorite, Magoo?

It seems pretty silly to say that Norris should have been held as the favorite when Leonard had everything in his favor or to say that Leonard SUDDENLY went into decline just because Norris wasn't expected to win.

This wasn't just a narrow, questionable win mind you. Norris didnt have to rely on the judges for a gift decision or a gift stoppage or have to come from behind. This was total domination!

The kind not seen since Buster Douglas destroyed Mike Tyson in Tokyo. Norris became the teacher and leonard became the student in the most unexpected role reversal. Leonard tried and tried but the young boxing wizard was too much for him.

leonard had never seen the like-couldnt cope with him on the outside and he couldnt cope with him on the inside. That's why he was forced to endure a painful and embarassing beating for 12 rounds.

When you win fights as easy as Terry won his, you get ALL the bragging rights.

Norris gave Leonard a complete boxing lesson with his superior skills. He intimidated him, hurt him, floored him, knocked his tooth out, and sent him into retirement, this time for 6 years. He was leonard's worst nightmare and when it came to showtime, he didnt know what the **** he was doing. He was so used to fighting club fighters and washed up relics.

In a way it's his own fault. Taking fights with club fighters and worn out pugs made him delusional enough to think that it could prepare him enough to deal with the speed and tenacity of young upcoming lions like Terry Norris.

Fighting the Kevin Howards and Don Lalonds, don't prepare you for this kind of fighter and they never will. In the years he was wasting time on those relics and tomato cans he could have been testing his skills with Curry, Honeyghan, a young Hagler, Nunn, Kalambay, Julian Jackson, McCallum.

Marlon Starling? That would be a waste of time - a one sided beating of some helpless, moron. Leonard KO 14 Starling.
I like the fact that you like Norris so much. He was a great fighter, and I admit a better fighter than Starling, but he was not a better fighter than a prime Leonard. Sugar Ray had a lot of wars in his short time. By the time he fought Norris, Ray was past his prime while Norris was at his peak. Norris was ferocious in his prime.
On the down side, his chin let him down too many times, and his dq's against Luis Maysonet tainted his legacy and took a good year out of his career. He's a top 5 SW ATG.
Sister Sledge is offline  Top
Old 02-27-2008, 10:22 AM   #52
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Sledge
I like the fact that you like Norris so much. He was a great fighter, and I admit a better fighter than Starling, but he was not a better fighter than a prime Leonard. Sugar Ray had a lot of wars in his short time. By the time he fought Norris, Ray was past his prime while Norris was at his peak. Norris was ferocious in his prime.
On the down side, his chin let him down too many times, and his dq's against Luis Maysonet tainted his legacy and took a good year out of his career. He's a top 5 SW ATG.
A lot of wars? Greb and Benny Leonard had a lot of notable fights. Ray leonard had Duran, Hearns, washed up Hagler but i wouldnt call that alot of wars.

And please stop with the "Leonard was past his prime" bit. Bernard Hopkins was 36,37 when he was starting to hit his stride.

show me EVIDENCE Leonard was past his prime. From what I saw off his last fight, just the opposite was true. I can believe it when it came to the Camacho fight. That was incredibly stupid coming out at age 40 but there was no such problem for the Norris fight and he was active in the ring.

I dare you to find fault with his performance in Uno mas, a performance that had all the experts raving about - William Nack, Steve Farhood, and countless others which led to making Leonard a 3-1 favorite over Norris even though Terry was the defending champion. Leonard made the challenge to this young lion and paid for it when the lion named Norris fatally bit him in the head.

Even in his prime Leonard wouldnt be a match for Norris because I watched him in the Kalule fight and he looks like just an average fighter against a painfully slow European fighter with no punch. And it took him nine rounds just to take him out!!

No way would he even catch Terry Norris. Terry would have slapped him around at will just as he did when they fought. Terry's feet were not stuck in cement like Kalule's.

And then there was the kevin Howard fight where it took him another nine rounds to polish off a hopelessly smaller and outclassed opponent. Then he retired based on the fact that the Howard fight was so tough for him.

You going to tell me leonard was past his prime at 27 years old? He should have polished off Howard in three despite the two year layoff. And besides that I saw Duran, a lightweight moving up two divisions hand leonard a convincing loss. A lightweight moving up two divisions to whip a prime welterweight-that's leonard in his prime.

So I knew already that Ray Leonard is beatable in his prime. Another problem is the way he was completely baffled and kept off balance by hearns using a simple jab and move strategy for most of the fight. Think what Norris would have done to him. He would have ended Leonard's career that night and sent him out of the sport with more than enough money to pay for janitorial school.

Don't get me wrong. Sugar was good, we all know that. he would have ****ed up that moron Starling and possibly Curry in a tough match and we know he can box. But he can't box the way Norris did. Norris was perfection in the ring.

The only problem with Terry was that he wasn't as carefully managed with his career and he occasionally lost his head and got himself disqualified. It happens. It happened with Roy Jones too in his fight with Griffin. I always said Norris was trigger fisted like Jones. People like this are so fast they sometimes have problems holding back with their fists.

But I find this appealing in a fighter where their offense is so overwhelming that the other guy has problems getting in their own shots and has to wait for him (Norris) to slow down just to hope for an even round. This is exactly what happend to Leonard-he just couldnt get through the blizzard of lightning fast one-twos. Terry was brilliant dominating the legend the way he did as he was brilliant in dominating Mugabi.

since no one really counts disqualifications, people shouldnt hold some of those losses against him.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum