Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
FloydPatterson
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 976
Default Lactic Acid in my legs. Pray for me.

Day 2 in the gym. Praying they have a different circuit than my lower body.
FloydPatterson is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: Lactic Acid in my legs. Pray for me.

No pain no gain
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
Oh, wait until the going gets real tough my friend.
Yeah, I remember my first couple weeks in the gym I boxed for. I thought I was in shape going in because I was a very active person in sports. Little did I know just how out of "boxing shape" I was in. I hurt from head to toe until I got use to it, then they added more-----------bastards!!!
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

All Pain No Gain
scrap is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ha ha, I still go through that. 1 day a week, i'll do squats and deadlifts, and lunges. (relax people, i'm not a bodybuilder, I do high reps - moderate weight)

Anyways, I often pray that the following day, we're not doing more lunges and squats at the gym. Although, lately I notice day 2 is quite tolerable. Day 3 is when it actually is the worst.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
Ha ha, I still go through that. 1 day a week, i'll do squats and deadlifts, and lunges. (relax people, i'm not a bodybuilder, I do high reps - moderate weight)

Anyways, I often pray that the following day, we're not doing more lunges and squats at the gym. Although, lately I notice day 2 is quite tolerable. Day 3 is when it actually is the worst.
High reps moderate weight is body builder training. If you're getting that much lactic acid and DOMS then you're training exactly how a body builder does.
Put the weight up and drop the reps, have long breaks between sets and get out of there within an hour.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
High reps moderate weight is body builder training. If you're getting that much lactic acid and DOMS then you're training exactly how a body builder does.
Put the weight up and drop the reps, have long breaks between sets and get out of there within an hour.
Wat?
Smudger is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
AdamB
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
Wat?
What's strange about what he said? Higher reps with lower weight are for hypertrophy (muscle growth), lower reps with higher weight for strength - broadly speaking, of course.
AdamB is offline  Top
Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamB View Post
What's strange about what he said? Higher reps with lower weight are for hypertrophy (muscle growth), lower reps with higher weight for strength - broadly speaking, of course.
Well, maybe I stand to learn something new today.

For legs & back I do:
2 sets of 20 x squats @ 90 lbs (don't laugh)
2 sets of 40 x dead lifts @ 90 lbs
2 sets of 30 X lunges @ 60 lbs

I strength train upper body & lower body once a week each.

I'm 5"8 140 lbs, not heavily muscled by any means, I have a typical boxer physique, probably more lean/muscular than the average amateur 139lb LW.
If I train like a bodybuilder, this suggests I am putting on unnecessary mass. If you were my size, what kind of weight/reps would you be doing?
Old 06-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #10
Fredd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Hypertrophy will depend mainly on diet. Even lifting with 5 reps which is what a lot of strength training programs use will cause hypertrophy depending on diet. If you are in a caloric surplus with adequate protein for muscle growth,etc hypertrophy will occur. If not, do not worry about it.
Fredd is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2012, 04:10 AM   #11
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
Well, maybe I stand to learn something new today.

For legs & back I do:
2 sets of 20 x squats @ 90 lbs (don't laugh)
2 sets of 40 x dead lifts @ 90 lbs
2 sets of 30 X lunges @ 60 lbs

I strength train upper body & lower body once a week each.

I'm 5"8 140 lbs, not heavily muscled by any means, I have a typical boxer physique, probably more lean/muscular than the average amateur 139lb LW.
If I train like a bodybuilder, this suggests I am putting on unnecessary mass. If you were my size, what kind of weight/reps would you be doing?
You're not doing any sort of strength training with that, you may as well stay at home and do bodyweight exercises.
You are training purely endurance, very light weight for a ridiculous amount of reps. You get endurance from your boxing, you're wasting your time doing those exercises.
If you lift heavy for not many reps you recruit your muscle fibres more efficiently, combined with plyometrics and you get power increases.
You need long breaks between exercises so you can give 100%, it's about recruiting every muscle fibre you can. You need to be fresh centrally (mentally) and peripherally (your muscles) to get the most out of it.
You're not training like a bodybuilder, you're training like somebody who has no idea what they're doing tbh. 40 reps of a deadlift for each set?
Improve your strength by lifting heavy for 1-6 reps with 3 minute breaks between sets, build muscle by lifting moderately heavy for 10-15 reps with 1 minute breaks between sets and everything above that is just endurance training that is appropriate only for children and senior citizens.
Putting on muscle is down to what you eat mostly, increasing strength is about sensitising the connection between your brain and your muscles. You don't need to put on weight to get stronger.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #12
Fredd
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I skimmed through the thread when I previously posted, and I didn't have time to read the routine. But, what are you trying to achieve by doing 20, 30, and 40 reps? Your wasting your time in the gym if you are trying to train for strength. If you do not want to change the routine you are currently in excercises, etc, then just change the rep range to 5 and lift as heavy as you can for them 5 reps. Each strength training session, you should try to progressively load by adding weight to the bar. If you are not bothered about that shitty routine, and are open to changing routines I definatly would. I find a beginners strength training program and get onto that immediatly. Find one that fits around your schedule, etc with boxing training as this must take priority. However, I would reccomend a program like starting strength by Mark Rippetoe, and if you can afford it I would STRONGLY reccomend the book.
Fredd is offline  Top
Old 06-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Well, like I said, I stand to learn something new - and I'm open to better ways of doing something.
Thanks for the advice.

I've been wanting to increase the weight and do less reps - but to be honest, I don't feel safe lifting more than 100 lbs over my head without a squat rack (I do all my weights at home in a tiny apartment).
Perhaps I need to start working out....at the GYM!!! lol....imagine that...
Old 06-24-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydPatterson View Post
Day 2 in the gym. Praying they have a different circuit than my lower body.
Man up and suck it up. With time you'll get accustomed to the regime.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing