Old 06-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #46
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Naseem hammed should have been great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzer85 View Post
Hamed never ducked anyone, i keep posting a video from Youtube about how JMM and others turned Hamed down, but people seem to keep ignoring that.
Hamed wanted nothing to do with Marquez for almost the 2 years that he was Hamed's no 1 contender,and then offered him a contract to get him in to the ring at a moments notice.Marquez is still angry about it and said so in a Ring Mag interview from a few years ago.As far as the Hamed nuthuggery on this thread,he had probably the lowest boxing IQ from any champ in recent memory,and at best,had a good resume,beating a bunch of solid but nothing special,alphabet beltholders.Truth be told,he was more interested in being the "prince" than being great,which he never could have been due to his empty head.
Clinton is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #47
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Like Morales and Marquez who turned down fight offers? He probably should have fought Espinosa and Norwood, Espinosa lost to Soto who he beat though and Norwood was part of the 'who needs him club'

His division was weak, aside from Marquez who was badly managed, but he fought most of the top fighters from his division and the top fighters from the divisions below MAB, Bungu and McColough
Morales turned down the fight right after his war with MAB and needed a rest.Funny how when Hamed was embarrassed by MAB,he fought Calvo and never requested an elite(or fought anyone again) and retired.As far as Marquez is concerned,Hamed avoided him for almost 2 years then tried to rush him into the ring at a moments notice.He was never serious about fight JMM.
Clinton is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2012, 04:31 PM   #48
Clinton
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Only about 50% of his challengers were rated by the Ring when he defended against them.
The best fighter he fought absolutely schooled him. He is an objectionable little twat.
Yes.
Clinton is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #49
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyweightCP View Post
He did in the fights before Marco.

But manny said Naz was already on the decline before that fight.
Naz never displayed a formidable jab in any of his pre-Barrera fights. His jab was pawing and easy to counter, due to his pathetic defence and tendency to overreach. You're glorifying him unjustifiably.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #50
Popkins
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think what we can all take from this thread is that PowerPuncher loves Naz irrationally, much like he does Floyd Mayweather. Such a lack of objectivity in that guy, he has his favourites and would argue black is white for them.
Popkins is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #51
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The MAB-Hamed fight was one of the most aesthetically satisfying fights of all time. I only wish, in a sadistic sort of way that the fight was for 15 rounds. I think Barrera would have maybe even scored a kd along the way of further humiliating the "prince".
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #52
HeavyweightCP
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Its sad he never reached his full full potential.

Talent wise and at his best he was on the best featherweights ever.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5BRy-c-9Tg[/ame]
HeavyweightCP is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #53
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
The MAB-Hamed fight was one of the most aesthetically satisfying fights of all time. I only wish, in a sadistic sort of way that the fight was for 15 rounds. I think Barrera would have maybe even scored a kd along the way of further humiliating the "prince".
I reckon when Barrera rammed Naz's face into the turn buckle it was as good as a knockdown.

I didn't mind Hamed at the time but all these people who reckon he was one of the best ever have turned me right off him. He had enormous power but his balance and basics were shit and always were. He looked amazing beating up Euro level types but struggled more and more as his quality of opposition rose and I don't think it was because his dedication was lacking. It's just that the best guys weren't fooled by his weird style, could see and exploit his mistakes which made him seem less and less impressive as he went on. Luckily for him his power,which was elite, was always there to bail him out, until Barrera trounced him anyway.
young griffo is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #54
FJay
Journeyman

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
I think what we can all take from this thread is that PowerPuncher loves Naz irrationally, much like he does Floyd Mayweather. Such a lack of objectivity in that guy, he has his favourites and would argue black is white for them.
Irony overload
FJay is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #55
HeavyweightCP
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by young griffo View Post
I reckon when Barrera rammed Naz's face into the turn buckle it was as good as a knockdown.

I didn't mind Hamed at the time but all these people who reckon he was one of the best ever have turned me right off him. He had enormous power but his balance and basics were shit and always were. He looked amazing beating up Euro level types but struggled more and more as his quality of opposition rose and I don't think it was because his dedication was lacking. It's just that the best guys weren't fooled by his weird style, could see and exploit his mistakes which made him seem less and less impressive as he went on. Luckily for him his power,which was elite, was always there to bail him out, until Barrera trounced him anyway.
He beat top fighters top 10 fighters.

alot of them tried to rn so they would not be koed.
HeavyweightCP is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #56
FJay
Journeyman

vCash: 75

Quote:

So what you're saying is that you've allowed other peoples opinions of him affect how you feel about Hamed?
FJay is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 04:17 AM   #57
kingfisher3
Contender
ESB Senior Member

1. hamed was nowhere near the best or most talented fw ever. willie pep is
2. he clearly lost his motivation and dedication long before barrera, to say otherwise is the average personallity motivated bullshit that should not be listend too.
3. the barera was far from the beating some people here are saying, it was tactical and boring, barera was naturally bigger and fought a dull, defensive fight
4. i am a big fan, but of hamed the entertainer, hamed the fighter was far from the best, although most of the hate he gets is because of his personality and from some purists who want every boxer to be the same. just enjoy his fights, or don't watch them.
kingfisher3 is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 05:40 AM   #58
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJay View Post
So what you're saying is that you've allowed other peoples opinions of him affect how you feel about Hamed?
Not exactly.

I've always thought he wasn't as good as people (and certainly Hamed himself) thought he was. His flaws were obvious and it was only a matter of time before they bit him on the arse. But I always liked watching him fight and I greatly admired his amazing power. So my opinion on him hasn't changed in that regard.

The massive overrating of him since he quit and that continues to this day grew tiresome a long time ago. I've often seen the Hamed-Steve Robinson fight used as some example of his brilliance when it was a typical Hamed display against a slow plodder who was too scared to let his hands go. Yet I've heard ridiculous claims that this version of Naz could beat anyone from Barrera to Floyd Mayweather. Utter bullshit of course but it's an example of how carried away with him some people get.

This sort of stuff and arguing with people who believe it has turned me from a sort of fan, who didn't mind him, into a critic who enjoys watching Barrera spank him.

So in a way some peoples opinions have certainly influenced my own so I suppose that's a fair question.
young griffo is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 06:24 AM   #59
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
McKinney got destroyed by Luisito Espinosa from memory shortly thereafter which is maybe why Naz didn't fight him.

Jones was finished after the McKinney fight even though it wasn't that bad of a KO, wear and tear-wise.

Jones was a hard fighter to get a read on. He had all the tools and looked like being a good champ at 118 but then he loses to the average John Michael Jackson and not long after gets KO'd by a plodder in Daryl Pickney. Yet this same guy who looks like he's done rises in weight and manages to turn it around and KO one of boxings brightest stars in Marco Antonio Barrera.

This unpredictability is what makes me think he could've maybe upset Hamed.
I think they were putting a fight together before the Espinosa fight and it fell through, Mkkinney was pretty bitter about it, seemed to be a drug addict too

I understand your reasoning for picking Jones, if he had a chin I'd pick him too, but I think Hamed gets to him and puts him to sleep, still if he fought super disciplined and conservatively, he could box to a decision, his exciting nature was perhaps his folly. This would have been more exciting than Hamed-Kelly in my opinion, which is saying something, the type of fight that makes Rocky movies seem realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
Hamed wanted nothing to do with Marquez for almost the 2 years that he was Hamed's no 1 contender,and then offered him a contract to get him in to the ring at a moments notice.Marquez is still angry about it and said so in a Ring Mag interview from a few years ago.As far as the Hamed nuthuggery on this thread,he had probably the lowest boxing IQ from any champ in recent memory,and at best,had a good resume,beating a bunch of solid but nothing special,alphabet beltholders.Truth be told,he was more interested in being the "prince" than being great,which he never could have been due to his empty head.
Your hatred of Hamed is legendary. Marquez was a nobody and should have jumped at the career high payday but had shit management that also turned down an immediate Pacquaio rematch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinton View Post
Morales turned down the fight right after his war with MAB and needed a rest.Funny how when Hamed was embarrassed by MAB,he fought Calvo and never requested an elite(or fought anyone again) and retired.As far as Marquez is concerned,Hamed avoided him for almost 2 years then tried to rush him into the ring at a moments notice.He was never serious about fight JMM.
Funny how his HBO contract was up, they wouldn't renew, Rebok weren't renewing their contract and he was receiving death threats post Sep11th and how suprising it is with 100million in the bank and 40lbs over his fighting weight he called it a day

Quote:
Naz never displayed a formidable jab in any of his pre-Barrera fights. His jab was pawing and easy to counter, due to his pathetic defence and tendency to overreach. You're glorifying him unjustifiably.
He did have a sharp heavy jab with plenty of recoil, he also used a lazy jab he left out to be countered to slip and counter the opponents counter, it's called drawing a counter

Quote:
The self confessed 'Pactard' (your words) arguing about objectivity 99% of your boxing posts are Pacquaio spin or Calzaghe hatred. And this post is a pretty obvious attempt to deflect your lack of knowledge about the subject matter

Quote:
The massive overrating of him since he quit and that continues to this day grew tiresome a long time ago. I've often seen the Hamed-Steve Robinson fight used as some example of his brilliance when it was a typical Hamed display against a slow plodder who was too scared to let his hands go. Yet I've heard ridiculous claims that this version of Naz could beat anyone from Barrera to Floyd Mayweather.
I think this version knocks out the aggressive reckless Barrera that fought Mkkinney or Junior Jones. Barrera fought conservatively for good reason in this fight. Mayweather would obviously beat him

Last edited by PowerPuncher; 06-29-2012 at 06:50 AM.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 06:56 AM   #60
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

The head rammed into the turnbuckle was as beautiful as a kd..a final expression of contempt directed at the "prince"..as humiliating a gesture as a slap in the face, or a drink tossed in his face at a dinner party gone bad. For all the bad taste Hamed displayed in humiliating beaten opponents in the past...all those obscenely tasteless ring entrances, all that arrogant crap and bad sportsmanship and lack of class..Barrera made him pay dearly as he exposed him for what he really was...and it really worked, didn't it. MAB essentially retired him.
red cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum