Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 06-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
joe297

vCash: 611
Default Heavy bag for ams

When training up to fight in the amateurs how many rounds and how long do you do on the heavy bag? I was told 10x2 is a good target to aim for??? how long rest in between as well?
joe297 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Heavy bag for ams

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe297 View Post
When training up to fight in the amateurs how many rounds and how long do you do on the heavy bag? I was told 10x2 is a good target to aim for??? how long rest in between as well?

I'm going back ages to when I trained and we'd do 5x3 minute rounds with a minute rest between them on the heavy bag. Truth is, the heavy bag work is just a small part of the work you need to put into becoming an amateur boxer.

First we'd have to run 3-5 miles before beginning the gym work. Gym work consisted of heavy bag 5x3 min., shadow boxing 3x3 min., rope skipping 3x3 min., sparring 3x3 min., speed bag 3x3 min. and things like sit-ups, push ups, medicine ball work and the occasional pad work a couple times a week.

It takes a lot of dedication and hard work to get into good enough shape to step into the ring for a 3 round fight. That is why I believe fighters that can go 10-12 rounds are some of the finest conditioned athletes in the world. But it don't come cheap.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
joe297

vCash: 611

Ye I do all the road work, skipping and the rest as well, just we don't really do much heavy bag work at the gym so I was hoping to make up for that at home but didn't really know how to go about it.
joe297 is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I'm with gumbo - 5x3 sounds like a good start.
We do it with 30 sec rest in between. I'm no expert, but I think you'd get more anaerobic conditioning out of this than 10x2.
Speechless is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing