Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #122
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: Would like some advice with a Weight-Lifting Routine for Boxing

Quote:
haha they have the most medals of anyone in boxing at the olympics. they cleaned up in 2004, then in 2008 blew it because of defections and an inexperienced team and suddenly theyre no more? thats like claiming canada wasnt dominating the hockey world after getting smoked in the 2006 winter olympics, yet still came back to win gold in 2010. of course canadas still going to be recognized as the best. amateur boxing and cuba are no different. not looking to start the typical e-fight that seems to frequent these forums, was just pondering...
Yeah 2004 was 8 years ago. How did Cuba do in the worlds? im not looking to start an e-fight either its a matter of opinion and mine is that Cuba was miles ahead of the rest 10 or so years ago and lately that has changed and they no longer are the force they were
pichuchu is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #123
Spooner21
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichuchu View Post
Yeah 2004 was 8 years ago. How did Cuba do in the worlds? im not looking to start an e-fight either its a matter of opinion and mine is that Cuba was miles ahead of the rest 10 or so years ago and lately that has changed and they no longer are the force they were
lol 8 years isnt very long. we'll wait to see what happens this summer, and ill gladly put my foot in my mouth if they dont come away with at least a handful of medals
Spooner21 is offline  Top
Old 02-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #124
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner21 View Post
lol 8 years isnt very long. we'll wait to see what happens this summer, and ill gladly put my foot in my mouth if they dont come away with at least a handful of medals
The amateur game has changed mate, I'll be surprised if they get one gold medal. The Cuban 81kg fighter is good but had a bit of luck at the Worlds and the only other decent Cuban prospect is in the 60kg division. Unfortunately for him that's also the division Lomachenko is fighting in and I can't picture him reversing the whooping Lomachenko gave him at the Worlds.
The Cubans haven't adapted to the times, the experienced 75kg Cuban and silver medallist from 2008 got dropped and beaten early on at the recent Worlds.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #125
japtech
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas!! View Post
**** off you sarky bastard. You know exactly what I meant, and that is that excess muscle material is inefficient for boxing which is a fact and why boxers looks like this

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

And not this:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

****ing clown

101% True
japtech is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2012, 02:18 PM   #126
japtech
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I usually train for boxing doin max out every 4 weeks
1st week 3 x 12
2nd week 3 x 10 (+1 weight)
3rd week 3 x 8 (+2 weight)

4th week max out again and start over but usually try to use the 3rd week as reference

Take it easy, not alot of weights, slow reps
japtech is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #127
boxingtactics07
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Keep it as simple as possible. Follow a basic 3 set / 3-5 reps workout regime focused on the squat, deadlift, military press, and bench. Pullups and rows will be added to round off the program. This is to establish a base, teach form, and work up to a true 5RM as the beginning will be a lot of trial and error. Pullups will be an exception to the low rep rule. You will be focusing on just doing the exercise for reps until you can do 50 quality ones (grease the groove or a 5 set reverse ladder workout with the lowest 2 reps increasing each new workout day). After that then you can move onto a weighted chinup routine or a progressive one-arm chinup routine (via convict conditioning is what worked for me). If you choose to do bodyweight Rows instead of weights, same rule applies (work towards 50 quality ones). 5/3/1 by Jim Wendler would be a good idea after you get a general idea of what your maxes are. Then you can customize and design your own program - with the variety that he offers to fit your wants and needs. The above is what works, but I'll also give an opinion on this.

Prioritize which one is more important (boxing or weight-lifting). Is the boxing there to supplement as the conditioning portion of a general fitness program or is the weight-lifting there to supplement the boxing as the strength portion of the training. The reason I say this is that a boxer would be more beneficial (if he chooses to do standard weight-lifting for his strength training instead of bodyweight/gymnastic exercises, olympic lifts, resistance band training, strongman training, etc) in hitting a few basics like the military press, squat, deadlift, and pullups; and then just doing some rehab/injury prevention/posture correction work to supplement it. The bench press is probably one of the more controversial exercises. Use it if your a powerlifter or a bodybuilder, as it allows for the greatest load that the upper body can handle, strongly consider scraping it as an athlete. I know I'll upset the bench press crowd with this and to a lesser degree - the bicep curl crowd for not even mentioning them, but it is what it is.
boxingtactics07 is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 09:16 PM   #128
DrBanzai
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAL_DIESEL View Post
Day 1-
Standing Military Press 3 sets of 20 reps
Upright Barbell Row (close-grip) 3 sets of 20 reps
Side Lateral Raise 3 sets of 20 reps
Barbell Shrug 3 sets of 20 reps
Standing Calf Raises 4 sets of 10-20 reps
Calf Press 4 sets of 12-15 reps
Hanging Leg Raise 4 sets of 10-20 reps
Ab Crunch Machine 3 sets of 8-12 reps

Day 2-
Bent Over Row- 3 of 20
Wide Grip pull down- 3 of 20
Regular grip pull down - 3 of 20
Deadlift 3 of 20
Tricep push down- 3 of 20
skull crushers- 3 of 20
tri extensions- 3 of 20

Day 3-
Flat Bench 3 of 20
Incline Bench 3 of 20
Cable Crossover 3 of 20
Alt. DB curl 3 of 20
barbell curl 3 of 20
hammer curl 3 of 20

Day 4-
Leg Press 3 sets of 20 reps
Smith Machine Squat 3 sets of 20 reps
Leg Extensions 3 sets of 20 reps
Smith Machine Stiff-Legged Deadlift 3 sets of 20 reps
Lying Leg Curls 3 sets of 20 reps

Limit rest time between sets. Also you could try to do these workouts as a circuit.

***Add some cardio in the morning: I typically run 4-5 miles 5 times a week***
Honestly that is a horrible workout, please don't give advice about weight training because you have no idea what you are doing. Talk about non functional illogical training.
DrBanzai is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #129
El Puma
between rage and serenity
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBanzai View Post
Honestly that is a horrible workout, please don't give advice about weight training because you have no idea what you are doing. Talk about non functional illogical training.
He's a ****ing idiot.

My advice would be to do a combo of Clean and Jerks to Thrusters with 95-155lbs depending on your strength level.

It would be the only weightlifting I would do for boxing. Fantastic results.
El Puma is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2012, 02:50 AM   #130
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

I appreciate the follow-up posts, and feel free to keep at it if you find it useful, but just so peeps know, I'm now done with the class and back in the gym training with my coach, so it's all good. Thanks again for the replies.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2012, 03:18 AM   #131
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675

What a mess you created, tazo.. lol
Kinda hard to pick up the good, real advice from all the hate posts in this thread.
Might as well be reading Saxons "advice" material
JDK is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #132
Hut*Hut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
Hows it crap? What reason?

Day 1-
Standing Military Press 3 sets of 20 reps (Better ways to exercise those muscles)
Upright Barbell Row (close-grip) 3 sets of 20 reps (bad exercise for boxers anyway due to the movement required but hardly a great exercise)
Side Lateral Raise 3 sets of 20 reps (why train your delts on their own?)
Barbell Shrug 3 sets of 20 reps (why train your trapezius on its own moving this way)
Standing Calf Raises 4 sets of 10-20 reps (calf raise? Seriously)
Calf Press 4 sets of 12-15 reps (is this where you lift a cow? Don't know what this is but sounds great)
Hanging Leg Raise 4 sets of 10-20 reps (hip flexors- about the first exercise with any point being in a boxers programme)
Ab Crunch Machine 3 sets of 8-12 reps (Use a stability ball instead of a machine)

Day 2-
Bent Over Row- 3 of 20
Wide Grip pull down- 3 of 20
Regular grip pull down - 3 of 20
Deadlift 3 of 20 (these are better)
Tricep push down- 3 of 20 (these are stupid)
skull crushers- 3 of 20(...)
tri extensions- 3 of 20 (this is beyond stupid)

Day 3-
Flat Bench 3 of 20 (these are good)
Incline Bench 3 of 20
Cable Crossover 3 of 20
Alt. DB curl 3 of 20 (shite)
barbell curl 3 of 20 (shite)
hammer curl 3 of 20 (shite)

Day 4-
Leg Press 3 sets of 20 reps (ok)
Smith Machine Squat 3 sets of 20 reps (why use a smith machine?)
Leg Extensions 3 sets of 20 reps (good exercise- what types?)
Smith Machine Stiff-Legged Deadlift 3 sets of 20 reps (why use a smith machine?)
Lying Leg Curls 3 sets of 20 reps (just no)

Limit rest time between sets. Also you could try to do these workouts as a circuit.

(why limit rest- why do them as a circuit? What kind of circuit- what training effect will that inccur- what effect will that have on the weight you are capable of lifting?)

I typically run 4-5 miles 5 times a week (which is stupid as you legs will be overly fatigued reducing performanace and movement during boxing workouts- prob explains partly why you don't turn into your shots properly)

You see Charles, and again not trying to be personal with you here- but that is a nonsense program. You shouldn't dole out advice until you know what the reaction of an exercise is and you know that it is the most suitable method.

Isolation exercises are pointless in boxing. consecutive 4-5 mile runs are pretty pointless. 1 or 2 a week max. Your suggesting a muscle endurance programme- full body but surely if muscle endurance is been trained it will be detrimental to strength gains in the long run... What about big lifts? What about maintaining strength?

To the OP there have been countless articles on weight lifting in here and countless arguments and counter arguments. You need to read through and select what information is relevant to your goals.
Just thought I'd break my posting duck here to point out thats just about the worst training routine for a fighter imaginable. The stickied routine is much more sensible.
Hut*Hut is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #133
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

While I obviously am not much of a boxer at the moment, I am an avid weightlifter. Not trying to push my routine on anyone, I'm just saying that this is usually the routine I do and it works FOR ME:

Monday:

BB Squats 8-6-5-4-3-2-1
Front Squats 1-1-1-1-1
Leg Extensions 15-15-15
Leg Curls 15-15-15
Core
Cardio

Wednesday:

BB Flat Bench 10-8-6-5-4-3
BB Incline 10-8-6-5
Tricep Pushdowns/Dips superset 3 sets of 15 pushdowns and 10 dips
Chest Flys 15-15-15
Core
Cardio

Friday:

Deadlift 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1-1-1
Bent-Over Row 8-8-8-8
Good Mornings 10-10-10
Lat Pulldowns 10-10-10

Saturday:

Overhead Press 8-6-5-4-3-2-1
Hang Cleans 5-4-3-2-1
Shrugs 15-15-15
DB Curls 10(each)-10-10
Core
Cardio
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #134
Scorpion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2039

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty View Post
Cuba aren't the force they were anymore because of the change in boxing style from missed slappy punches scoring to the current system of only clear, hard punches scoring. There's more inside fighting and body punching. Contrary to what old timers would have you believe the sport is progressing, better athletes on olympic teams and better facilities and knowledge making the playing field more even. Look at the England and Irish teams, world class and on the level of the Cubans.
Even the Russians aren't quite as dominant as they were, the only real standout nation over the last few years has been the Ukrainians.
The Cubans really aren't recognised as the best amateur boxers and haven't been for around 6 years now. Throughout history they've always been on par with the Russians anyway and they actually got their training methods from the soviets back in the day so combined with the current success of Ukraine then I'd say the soviets are historically the best in the amateur game.
KAZAKHSTAN!!!
Scorpion is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #135
Scorpion
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2039

To be honest though, what is it that makes Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan and Cuba so dominant at amateur boxing?

I remember reading Vassily Jirov's training methods, and although brutal as hell, I don't see how it is so effective.
Scorpion is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing