Norton TKO/KO 26 74.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #16
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: Spinks Vs Norton 1978

intrestingly both Spinks and Norton drew with scott ledoux.

Was there ever a heavyweight who could beat even that version of Ali in so few fights?

Spinks was crazy but he could have been good.
choklab is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #17
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

The real question is how Michael Spinks would have done.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Looking back on it, it's easy to say Ken would win, but Leon would have his crew backing him up, and if everything is right, it would be an all-Marine shootout.And Ken would realize he's in the fight of his life.It would go down to the cards, a draw likely, but it could go either way in 1978, as long Spinks is in shape, and motivated.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #19
Vince Voltage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Spinks was unfocused for the Ali rematch...why are we assuming he'd be ready for Norton? Ken would have steamrolled him. Leon didn't have the punch to bother Norton and was way too defensively porous to not get caught with a booming overhand right.

I agree that Ken was severely jerked around in those days and it still ****es me off, too.

Leon had a lot of natural ability, but what he lacked was size and discipline. On his best nights he was a force to be reckoned with, but there were very few "best nights" with Leon.
Vince Voltage is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ken Norton by a knockout (KO 3).

Kenny wanted Leon bad, to show how much better he was than Muhammad Ali who
had lost to Leon.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #21
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
The real question is how Michael Spinks would have done.

I'd make Norton a big favourite to beat him as well.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #22
Curtis Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I think a slipping Norton would have slaughtered Spinks within 3 rounds.
Curtis Lowe is online now  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 03:08 PM   #23
Bummy Davis
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I am assuming we are taking about Leon. Spinks brought the pressure that Norton could not take when he was on but he was a bit reckless and did not have real one punch heavyweight power, so I am leaning with Norton over Leon. Ken had more power at heavyweight than Leon and Leon never really developed to his full potential, so the Leon that won the title from Ali would get banged around after coming on strong and forcing Ken to use the jab and push Leon back. I like Norton by a mid-round stoppage.

Micheal Had the savvy and power to beat Ken
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 10-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #24
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
I am assuming we are taking about Leon. Spinks brought the pressure that Norton could not take when he was on but he was a bit reckless and did not have real one punch heavyweight power, so I am leaning with Norton over Leon. Ken had more power at heavyweight than Leon and Leon never really developed to his full potential, so the Leon that won the title from Ali would get banged around after coming on strong and forcing Ken to use the jab and push Leon back. I like Norton by a mid-round stoppage.

Micheal Had the savvy and power to beat Ken
I'm not sure about Michael, but it'd have been close. Granted Michael was a huge puncher at lightheavy, at heavy he wasn't a big puncher and wasn't very strong.

I think Norton would give him a lot of problems with his style and strength. Holmes rocked Spinks several times with his right hand and was also clearly much stronger. Norton, being stronger and a harder puncher than Holmes, would pose big problems for Spinks, especially with his style that is so difficult for the more boxer types such as Spinks, Ali, Holmes, etc.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2012, 05:31 AM   #25
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
I'm not sure about Michael, but it'd have been close. Granted Michael was a huge puncher at lightheavy, at heavy he wasn't a big puncher and wasn't very strong.

I think Norton would give him a lot of problems with his style and strength. Holmes rocked Spinks several times with his right hand and was also clearly much stronger. Norton, being stronger and a harder puncher than Holmes, would pose big problems for Spinks, especially with his style that is so difficult for the more boxer types such as Spinks, Ali, Holmes, etc.

There's no way that Leon was in Ken's class. Ali made Spinks look better than he really was in their first fight. This was proved in the rematch. A near 37 year old Ali,adopting the right tactics,made Spinks look ordinary. Imagine what a 1974 'Zaire' Ali would have done to Leon.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #26
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Spinks is one of the worst paper champs in history.

The worst thing is he genuinely had talent as well. If he'd have kept focused he could have beaten Ali in the rematch and then unified with Norton in a super fight but instead he got lazy and addicted to coke.

He could have been something but instead he's just a shameful paper champ in my eyes.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #27
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Spinks is one of the worst paper champs in history.

The worst thing is he genuinely had talent as well. If he'd have kept focused he could have beaten Ali in the rematch and then unified with Norton in a super fight but instead he got lazy and addicted to coke.

He could have been something but instead he's just a shameful paper champ in my eyes.

I disagree that,even focused,he could have beaten Ali in their rematch. It would have made their second fight a bit closer though. Maybe 9 - 6 in rounds to the ageing Muhammad.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #28
DrBanzai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Spinks was a nothing.
DrBanzai is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #29
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBanzai View Post
Spinks was a nothing.

If he'd stayed on the 'right path' he may have developed a bit more skill.

The first Ali-Spinks match was a bit of a paradox,really. While he was better than we all thought,he was still made to look better than he actually was.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 10-13-2012, 11:22 AM   #30
Bummy Davis
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post

I agree with you on this. While Micheal did not have the kind of power of pressure that Ideally would trouble Ken, I do feel he had good angles and enough power to keep you honest...while I do not think Leon had it to survive Ken Norton, I do think Michael had a much better chance but just like Norton had the style to give Ali and Holmes hell he would have a better chance against Michael. So while I think Michael could do it and Leon could not I would not bet on Michael Spinks either but his angles and sporadic flurries would deter Norton's momentum IMO but not so sure who would win this.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum