Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #16
tommy the hat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Do you find the single or double mouthguard to be more comfortable?

I use a double mouthguard called the brain pad which IMO is the best mouthguard out there. You can get them for 20-25 dollars in a sporting goods store. They are formed fitted by using boiling water, and they have a very large air hole in the middle for breathing. But another good feature it has is the actual "brain pad". Between the upper and lower rows of the mouthguard is a built in shock absorbsion chamber that absorbs some of the shock if you are to get hit with a good shot. Best mouthguard I ever had.
tommy the hat is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #17
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I had to buy and use the above brainpad mouthguard you speak of, top and bottom, this weekend for a fight as I forgot my dentist made one on a long trip and bought one in a hurry. I never really got hit, so can't speak of it's protection, but in comparison to my custom made gumshield, it felt like I was wearing someones boot in my mouth. Thing is freakin huge, and despite it's air passage I found it oxygen restricting.

Never again.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #18
FM3O
Journeyman

I have always used mouthgaurds that are boiled nad not any that have been molded by a dentist. I started out using a double, but it would always make my bottom lips bleed, and I felt as though it did restrict oxygen, so I went back to a single.
FM3O is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2008, 07:28 PM   #19
tommy the hat
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngblood
I had to buy and use the above brainpad mouthguard you speak of, top and bottom, this weekend for a fight as I forgot my dentist made one on a long trip and bought one in a hurry. I never really got hit, so can't speak of it's protection, but in comparison to my custom made gumshield, it felt like I was wearing someones boot in my mouth. Thing is freakin huge, and despite it's air passage I found it oxygen restricting.

Never again.
Well to each their own. Personally I have had success with it, but I guess when it comes to mouthguards it comes down to personal preference and whatever one feels comfortable wearing. I never actually got a custom made one from a dentist though I have trained with guys who have. How much do they run price wise? Are they single or doubled or both?
tommy the hat is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #20
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy the hat
Well to each their own. Personally I have had success with it, but I guess when it comes to mouthguards it comes down to personal preference and whatever one feels comfortable wearing. I never actually got a custom made one from a dentist though I have trained with guys who have. How much do they run price wise? Are they single or doubled or both?
Mine is single, and I've only ever seen a single. It almost seems paper thin after wearing a single shock doctor. So much it concerns you if it is even giving you the protection you need. But it does, and you quickly get used to it and it really makes it hard to go back to anything else. I suppose the double seemed especially awkward because of it...but I had like an hour to find one...and Walmart was the only store around and they had one, the dbl brainpad left. I had to mold it in my hotel room using my coffee machine lol.

My dentist made one cost $80. More expensive, yes, but well worth it I suggest, so long as you can remember to bring it.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #21
DON1
ICEMAN
ESB Addict

Top and Bottom, Brainpad.
DON1 is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #22
donalnaughton

you will get used to whatever one you use regular, the double feels a bit funny at first, but they are good if you have problems breathing through your nose, wear it while training even while skipping, pads etc and you will get used to it no problem
donalnaughton is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #23
Bazooka
Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I dont care for the double, the single is better IMO you can breathe better especially when your nose is bleeding you are better off with the single so you can breathe through your mouth
Bazooka is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2008, 10:01 PM   #24
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 107

shock dr double
elchivito is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 03:14 AM   #25
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

I have a single, and I have trouble exhaling through my mouth on my punches. I end up holding my breath a lot of the times if I don't think about it. For some reason my nose feels clogged whenever I spar, so exhaling through my nose hasn't worked well for me either. Tried buying a double mouthpiece over the weekend, but the guy said they don't keep them in stock at the store because no one really asks for double mouthpieces anymore and that I'd have to order it online. He said that it's a lot harder to breath with the double mouthpieces too since you can't open your mouth. I thought opening your mouth is a bad thing to do?
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing