Yes 58 54.72%
No 48 45.28%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #46
hussleman
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Could Ali Get Away With This Against Wlad?

Ali would have box Wlad head off. Ali THREW PUNCHES and was never scared in there. Ali, is way to skilled for Wlad slow plotting azz.
hussleman is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #47
Luigi
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

13 votes for Ali, 11 for Wlad. Nothing more than nuthugging. Ali did not destroy Foreman, Foreman wasted himself. Excellent strategy by Ali, he understood Foreman would knock him out if he fought close.
Luigi is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #48
CubanHeel
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Wlad would dominate in the 70's when guys like Bugner, Shavers, Ellis, Lyle, and Norton were considered world class. Foreman fought like a mechanical ape and Frazier's poor defence would not hold up against bigger punchers.
Ali was the best of that bunch for what it's worth. Though people give him too much credit for dodgy victories over the Sam Peter of the sixties, Sonny Liston.
CubanHeel is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #49
piscator
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
Wlad and Ali should not be in the same sentence together. Ali is leagues better than Wlad.
Yeah? That's exactly what my Dad used to say, except it was: "Louis and Ali should not be in the same sentence together. Louis is leagues better than Ali."

We really should try to keep up to date on here.
piscator is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #50
borsuk
~:~:~:~:~:~

Thumbs up Re: Could Ali Get Away With This Against Wlad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanHeel View Post
Wlad would dominate in the 70's when guys like Bugner, Shavers, Ellis, Lyle, and Norton were considered world class. Foreman fought like a mechanical ape and Frazier's poor defence would not hold up against bigger punchers.
Ali was the best of that bunch for what it's worth. Though people give him too much credit for dodgy victories over the Sam Peter of the sixties, Sonny Liston.
at least you're amusing
borsuk is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #51
VivaNazVegas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 585

Quote:
I think you're well aware of the fact that Sonny Liston was a lot better than Sam Peter
VivaNazVegas is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #52
piscator
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
While I agree that fighters today are more skilled than in Ali's day, I take exception to the "mechanical ape" comment about Foreman. Foreman was a great fighter. He'd be a top contender today IMO. It's possible he could even take Wlad.

Last edited by piscator; 07-08-2012 at 11:16 AM.
piscator is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #53
Blake Rayne
Fat Cuban Aficianado
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Gif 1.

Wlad throws a harder, faster, more accurate jab which is followed by a monsterous right much of the time so if Ali tried to follow a jab in like that he'd eat some of the biggest shots of his career.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Gif 2.

The mother****ing Hayemaker did plenty of this to Wlad in their fight. Ali and Haye are both very fast body movers so absolutely could happen and probably would be very likey as Ali would know that if he tries to evade even a few inches in Wlad's range that it's likely Wlad will lean on him and tie him up.

Gif 3.

See Gif 1.

Plus Wlad wont leave a jab that far out unless he is pawing with it. When he does he changes his posture and stance a bit and threatens with his right more.

Gif 4.

Seems fair to say that a fatigued and beaten Wlad would spend his time trying to grapple his opponent, not wandering backwards with his hands down and in range.

Maybe if you stretch it you could say a pre Stewart Wlad could end up like that but even when Wlad got beat back then, he kept throwing, trying to come forward.

Plus Wlads movement is no joke. People seem to be starting to take note of this so even a man who moved as incredibly as Ali wouldn't have things as easily as he'd like.

Cool Thread
Blake Rayne is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #54
Jаck
P4P King
ESB Full Member

The only past ATG I'd slightly favour against Wlad is Lennox Lewis.

Lewis > Wlad > Ali
Jаck is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #55
PowerHoock
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jаck View Post
The only past ATG I'd slightly favour against Wlad is Lennox Lewis.

Lewis > Wlad > Ali
PowerHoock is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #56
greigorypeck
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8te View Post
ali is absolutely toying with that euro bum.
Bugner was from Australia
greigorypeck is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #57
Alcaldemb
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think it is funny that someone would use Bugner as a stand in for Wlad. If you think Wlad and Bugner are on the same level your bias is clearly showing.
Alcaldemb is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #58
HwSaviour
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Brits think Bugner's defence and jab are similar to Wlad's? FFS
HwSaviour is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #59
greigorypeck
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcaldemb View Post
I think it is funny that someone would use Bugner as a stand in for Wlad. If you think Wlad and Bugner are on the same level your bias is clearly showing.
Exactly. Bugner should have been beaten from an ancient Henry Cooper but Cooper was robbed.
greigorypeck is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #60
Alcaldemb
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezel8764 View Post
I chose to make Gif's of Bugner due to the Height/Weight/Reach similarities to Wlad, the only other of Ali's opponents that are around the 6'4-6'7 range are Ernie Terrell. I think Ali is one of few Heavyweights I feel comfortable in suggesting he can outbox/outwork Wlad over 12 rounds, Wlad's chin is suspect?, Ali's is proven over many fights (even post-exile '75) against powerful punchers (Foreman, Lyle, Shavers,). But that does'nt mean he will completely KO Wlad in the first round. I think he can pull off some of these moves, he will take a lot of punches from Wladimir, but he has proven over time he can.
I'll give you Foreman as a puncher, but remember he was only 6'3" 220 in his prime, and not as fast or fluid as Wlad. Lyle? He had a 60% KO ratio. Shavers had a 76% KO ratio. Wladimir has an 83% KO ratio.

Keep in mind that Shavers was all of 6' and 205-210lbs in his prime, Lyle 6'3" and 215. Even Bugner was only 6'4" and 220. That simply isn't the same a 6'6" and 240-250, especially when Wladimir is more physically talented and more skilled then any of the above mentioned three fighters. Furthermore, as to Wlad's chin versus Ali's chin, keep in mind that Ali was often the bigger man in the ring but only managed a 57% KO ratio, so I just do not see his punching power being the deciding factor in a fighter versus an elite super heavy. Also remember that the average heavy today is in the 225-235 range, much bigger than Ali's time.
Alcaldemb is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum