Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
saturday_kid
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 905
Default Re: Sky are full of shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichDam View Post
So you would prefer Rob Norton against Leon Williams to a packed card, topped by a great fight....thought not.
No but I'd prefer small shows every week than a big show every month or so
saturday_kid is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2012, 10:58 AM   #17
RichDam
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Small hall shows are exactly what boxing on TV should be trying to get away from. If the main event is only going to sell 1000 tickets, how good of fight is it? And if it's only going to bring in money for 1000 seats, how feasible is it that you'll see a good undercard? More often than not, these 'small hall shows' have a shit main event between two fighters nobody cares about and an undercard consisting entirely of a good young fighter against a punching bag. It's boring. I'm tired of all these awful cards that you see on TV.

The only way for boxing to regain popularity is to be entertaining. Pit two fighters against each other who both have something to win and lose and that is enough. Sadly, however, this doesn't happen anywhere near enough in British boxing as it should do.
U
If it was W*rren in charge last night, Brook would have fought a name like Alfonso Gomez at best or some unknown fighter who doesn't have a chance. We wouldn't have had a great undercard fight in Rees/Matthews because that would have headlined it's own card. We wouldn't have seen Proksa/Hope II because that would also be a main event on a much smaller show. On the undercard of those two shows, we'd have seen Fielding, Yafai, Aston, Cardle and Purdy on TV against no hopers. BoxNation is something I object to because it's sole purpose is to have this sort of business plan and it's not fair on the fans. The people who buy tickets should be given a top to bottom good show and the fans at home should be given 3 interesting fights. Can you imagine Frank doing another Magnificent Seven card right now? They could have stacked Haye/Chisora but look at the dire undercard for that show, which is the perfect example of everything I'm talking about.

Hearn is delivering something for the fans, rather than himself, and that is commendable.
Excellent post, total sense from top to bottom.
RichDam is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #18
saturday_kid
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'll see you in two years when your all moaning about Hearn's monopoly on Sky.

Guarantee it
Old 07-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #19
RichDam
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday_kid View Post
No but I'd prefer small shows every week than a big show every month or so
How about a mixture of big shows and American cards?
RichDam is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #20
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Craig McEwan would box rings round the prodska imo
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #21
Clint Eastwood
Do You Feel Lucky, Punk?!
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Saw on twitter earlier than Brook should be the chief support for Froch fight in Nov.
Clint Eastwood is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
saturday_kid
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichDam View Post
How about a mixture of big shows and American cards?
but then British grass roots level suffers
Old 07-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #23
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturday_kid View Post
but then British grass roots level suffers
Jesus Christ, let it go.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #24
RichDam
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

British grassroots will be fine if there are packed cards that attract new fans. Boxing will continue to scrape by if they keep serving up average entertainment.
RichDam is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #25
shenmue
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazrichards View Post
bollocks
barker would beat him comfortably on points as would murray.macklin would knock him out as would andy lee now hes coming back to fight in britain
OK fair enough, all would be good fight though. I just think Barker, macklin and Lee can be hurt at times so i wouldn't be that shocked if Proska got a stoppage win. because of his wildness all the British guys could UD him though.

The way Sky talked about Proska last night you would think he was a journeyman style fighter with no chance of winning which i think was a bit unfair. But I'm a bit biased as a Proska fan Ha.
shenmue is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #26
TonyD407
Belt holder
ESB Addict

he had his first tough fight and got thru it .....

give him credit
TonyD407 is offline  Top
Old 07-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #27
harry the haddo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Small hall shows are exactly what boxing on TV should be trying to get away from. If the main event is only going to sell 1000 tickets, how good of fight is it? And if it's only going to bring in money for 1000 seats, how feasible is it that you'll see a good undercard? More often than not, these 'small hall shows' have a shit main event between two fighters nobody cares about and an undercard consisting entirely of a good young fighter against a punching bag. It's boring. I'm tired of all these awful cards that you see on TV.

The only way for boxing to regain popularity is to be entertaining. Pit two fighters against each other who both have something to win and lose and that is enough. Sadly, however, this doesn't happen anywhere near enough in British boxing as it should do.

If it was W*rren in charge last night, Brook would have fought a name like Alfonso Gomez at best or some unknown fighter who doesn't have a chance. We wouldn't have had a great undercard fight in Rees/Matthews because that would have headlined it's own card. We wouldn't have seen Proksa/Hope II because that would also be a main event on a much smaller show. On the undercard of those two shows, we'd have seen Fielding, Yafai, Aston, Cardle and Purdy on TV against no hopers. BoxNation is something I object to because it's sole purpose is to have this sort of business plan and it's not fair on the fans. The people who buy tickets should be given a top to bottom good show and the fans at home should be given 3 interesting fights. Can you imagine Frank doing another Magnificent Seven card right now? They could have stacked Haye/Chisora but look at the dire undercard for that show, which is the perfect example of everything I'm talking about.

Hearn is delivering something for the fans, rather than himself, and that is commendable.
Lot of sense in there, although i do think there is a place for small time shows - to a certain extent 5 are doing this with fury/eubank who are slowly building up to bigger and better things. surely there should also be space for the spencer fearon's of this world who always puts on competitive fights and is slowly getting better quality fighters on his bills. one other thing that i'd add is that there aren't many better nights than a competitive british title fight in a packed small hall
harry the haddo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum