Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Marcos Avellan

vCash: 500
Thumbs up *VIDEO* A Beautiful Mind for Boxing? (Sequel To Cuban Boxing Video)

This is the sequel to my piece that was posted a few days ago about [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] - please make sure to watch that video before watching this one...

In the movie, "A Beautiful Mind", the main character, Russell Crowe, is a schizophrenic. As a result, he sees and imagines things that aren't really happening... and I'm recommending you do the same in your boxing training!

What? I must be going crazy too! Check out my video to understand what I mean by this.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izSejBFNUw8[/ame]

DISCLAIMER:
I need to apologize about my foul language! In this video there is a LOT of cursing. Why? Not that it is a good excuse, but this demo was the end of a four day, ten hour a day, instructor training that I was doing for about forty to fifty UFC fighters, black belts, and gym owners from around the world - we even had a team fly in from Australia!

I don't care who you are... after sitting in the same chair for almost 40 hours, you are going to start dozing off... so I dropped some "F" bombs to keep everyone shocked and in attention This particular video was never meant to be shared on the Internet... but I got such great reviews by the fighters and instructors in attendance that I decided to post it up and share it with everyone.

I'll post up Part III in a few days. Enjoy!

Sincerely,
Marcos Avellan
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
1-888-FFA-GYMS

P.S. Please drop some comments!
Marcos Avellan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2012, 05:22 PM   #2
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794
Default Re: *VIDEO* A Beautiful Mind for Boxing? (Sequel To Cuban Boxing Video)

again.. brutal
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Jake_Lamotta

vCash: 1000

Great videos man enjoyed listening.

Most things are very basic but we overlook them definitely going to try what you said for shadowboxing.

Yh I have a habit of doing what you said about saving myself in training will try to work on this.

You present your work very well look forward to more videos in future good stuff.
Jake_Lamotta is offline  Top
Old 07-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
withoutwire
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 568

Better than part I IMO

The part about saving yourself is a very good point

Good stuff
withoutwire is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Common sense stuff that unfortunately isn't very common. However I don't agree with the idea of pacing yourself when competition arrives, it's been shown in many sports that successful competitors have the mindset of going hard and taking an early lead.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Common sense stuff that unfortunately isn't very common. However I don't agree with the idea of pacing yourself when competition arrives, it's been shown in many sports that successful competitors have the mindset of going hard and taking an early lead.
And many successful competitors take time to figure out what the opponent is trying to do, solving the riddle, then coming on strong. This is especially true in boxing; real true pros often give away a couple rounds before making their move. Why not? It is scheduled for 10 or 12 and they book the arena for the whole evening.
greynotsoold is online now  Top
Old 07-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #7
Marcos Avellan

Hey guys, thanks for the posts, I'm glad you guys like it.

I'm pretty sure that I mentioned that in a fight one should "appropriately" pace himself. Depending on your style and your opponent, you may go harder out the gate.

Versus some opponents it may be smarter to pace yourself while with other opponents it may be better to take the fight to them aggressively - and your style also plays into that.

However, THERE SHOULD be some sort of pace... otherwise you are talking about an out of control street fight. If you go all out right away, then you will either win or loss in the first round. That may be a chance you are willing to take though...

Just think of the average street fight, they come out with an aggressive mind and an aggressive body... that is a bad mix, which leads to costly mistakes and gassing.

You can come out with an aggressive and fast body but calm mind... which in itself means there is a sense of control over what is being done, which means there is some sort of pace.

Go and try to hit a running sprint, as fast as you can, for three minutes straight. That is a nightmare and would completely exhaust ANYONE. In a fight, it is about knowing the moments to hit the nitro and let go the hands, not come in all mentally out of control and swinging for the fences.

The average person on the street, when they get into a street fight, that is how it is... their mind is all out of control and their body is moving faster than they can think... they usually have no recollection of what happened, they just got into a crazy scuffle, and the average street fight is less than a round of boxing... both guys completely fatigue themselves quickly.

That is what I meant when I said that the unskilled person goes all out in a fight but paces themselves in training - while it takes experience and discipline to pace themselves in a fight but go out all in training.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:29 AM   #8
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

I take a compromise approach: Go all out, get exhausted, pace myself til I don't think I'm dying, go all out again, pace again, etc.

Otherwise my training sessions would be like 2 rounds long

In a fight/sparring I ALWAYS pace myself, because 1. I would incur brain damage if I didn't and 2. I HATE the feeling of gassing out. When the other guy goes hard, I do the minimum possible to match him. I still feel like I'm going to pass out after 3 rounds

I feel like this video will apply to me a lot more once I'm in some sort of fight condition.

Fight visualization during shadowboxing is the only way to keep sane though. I can't imagine NOT doing it.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Juan Ma Lopez
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

This you Marcos at 50 seconds?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Juan Ma Lopez is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
Marcos Avellan

Sounds good Killsomething!

Thanks guys for the posts! And yes Juan, that is me, in the red shorts. We have our trip to Cuba on youtube in a series of videos, if you do a search for "FFA in Cuba" you can see all the videos. If you understand Spanish, you can hear Coach Miranda directly, but if not, no worries, the subtitles are well translated.

And although this is a boxing forum, if you're into muay thai kickboxing, I have my trip to Thailand also well documented, you just have to search, "FFA Thailand".

Both trips were absolutely amazing. Besides the actual training being incredible, both countries are absolutely beautiful and the people in both countries are very nice.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #11
eather

Great Video mate. Good stuff that you presented
eather is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #12
Jappa
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Epic vids.

Go hard in training and when it comes down to when it matters you'll be on top.

Post more please!
Jappa is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing