Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 07-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Shit I wrote in 2009...

Just went back onto Sherdog for some unknown reason, and opened one of my old threads...

Quote:
Are we seeing a distinct evolution in styles needed to be top of the tree in Light Heavyweight Division
Seems to me that in the early days of MMA (I dont included the NHB era of UFC) to be top Champ at LHW wrestling/ju jitsu seemed to be the dominant style (Randleman, Tito, to a degree Frank Shamrock, Couture)
Then brawlers seemed to dominate the division for a few years (Chuck, Wandy, Rampage, Shogun, even Forrest, although he's tightened up his style)
I know that most of these guys were capable in other areas, but Im concentrating on base styles.

The reason Im asking is because reading the hype towards Machida v Evans and they both seem to have similar styles, fast, powerful, good ground game, and dare I say, elusive counter punchers. The elusive style seems to be dominant in LHW at the moment similar to how the above styles were dominant at the time.

Is it that certain styles seem to be successful at certain periods in time, but will more LHW adopt an elusive style to be successful, and will the reduce the division to win by judges decision style fighters?

Wrestling is a very good, strong base for fighters to start with. I guess its easier, relatively speaking too add stand up to a strong wrestling base than vice versa.

But that just seems to be the case mainly with Americans fighters, and obviously most Americans fight in the UFC. Will Asian/Brazilian/European fighters now adopt that approach?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] is another prospect with a very good wrestling base, his clinch work and throws against Bonner were very impressive. But his striking style seemed too me to be more elusive ala Machida/Rashad than brawler like Chuck/Wandy

Perhaps thats the reason this elusive style of stand up is becoming more dominant. Wandy & Chuck are getting their lights turned out more than an Mexican Power station lately, mainly due to their styles imo. Apart from the elite fighters with awesome ko power (Page, Machida, Evans) will this lead to less [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] stand up?
Apart from my shocking over use of the word ''elusive'' any thoughs
Stoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Re: Shit I wrote in 2009...

Yeah here's a thought. Why were you a 10x better poster on Sherdog two years ago than you are now? Go back to writing thoughtful mini-articles instead of infantile trolling.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Go **** yourself wiki boy, put me on ignore
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

Quote:
But that just seems to be the case mainly with Americans fighters, and obviously most Americans fight in the UFC. Will Asian/Brazilian/European fighters now adopt that approach?
In 2009 I would say to you that brazilians wouldn´t adapt easily.....brazilians had major problems with wrestlers......but now, watching Aldo and JDS with their TDD, I think we are adapting well.
IMO Aldo has one of the best TDD of MMA nowadays......
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #5
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

Was wondering what happened to you after the lotto

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
LHL is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
In 2009 I would say to you that brazilians wouldn´t adapt easily.....brazilians had major problems with wrestlers......but now, watching Aldo and JDS with their TDD, I think we are adapting well.
Yeah they did orite didnt they

I think a few of the Brits are adapting aswell, Bisping being the prime example
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHL View Post
Was wondering what happened to you after the lotto
Im sure some would say Ive spent too much time rubbing my balls...
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic-JofreBRASIL View Post
It seems that most of the Nova Uniao guys have very solid TDD.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #9
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Pederneiras list of black belts in MMA is impressive
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
MattMattMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I think it is reasonable to expect that MMA will go in phases since it's relatively early in it's development. I have always felt that there is more of a "paper, scissors, stone" thing going on with MMA than most other combat sports. With this (admittedly quite shakey) analogy there are more than three objects (read: prevailing MMA styles), and we have yet to see them all.

It may be that the most versatile fighters will be able to effectively adapt and stay ahead of the game during their career, but most will be 'superseded' by the next generation of fighters that take the game to another level. The end result of this may be a better all-round skill set in the average fighter. There will always be a few don't follow the trend, but with a sport such as MMA they can't be sucessful against everyone with an outdated style, and will be too vulnerable to certain types of fighters.

I would like to think that there will always be some aspect of a style that makes you more effective than your peers, resulting in a cyclical change in style over time. But I think it may be more likely that, there may be many more cycles of change, each change being more subtle than the last, until a something of an equilibrium is found.

Last edited by MattMattMatt; 07-10-2012 at 08:33 PM.
MattMattMatt is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMattMatt View Post
I think it is reasonable to expect that MMA will go in phases since it's relatively early in it's development. I have always felt that there is more of a "paper, scissors, stone" thing going on with MMA than most other combat sports. With this (admittedly quite shakey) analogy there are more than three objects (read: prevailing MMA styles), and we have yet to see them all.

It may be that the most versatile fighters will be able to effectively adapt and stay ahead of the game during their career, but most will be 'superseded' by the next generation of fighters that take the game to another level. The end result of this may be a better all-round skill set in the average fighter. There will always be a few don't follow the trend, but with a sport such as MMA the can't be sucessful against everyone with an outdated style, and will be too vulnerable to certain types of fighters.

I would like to think that there will always be some aspect of a style that makes you more effective than your peers, resulting in a cyclical change in style over time. But I think it may be more likely that, while there may be many more cycles of change, each change being more subtle than the last, until a something of an equilibrium is found.
That is a good post sir.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #12
KERRIGAN
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Just went back onto Sherdog for some unknown reason, and opened one of my old threads...

Apart from my shocking over use of the word ''elusive'' any thoughs
That you were just as ****ing clueless about Glass Jaws existing in MMA back then, as you are now.
KERRIGAN is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #13
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Go **** yourself wiki boy, put me on ignore
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 02:36 AM   #14