Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
bronx
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1124
Default We can all agree Canelo has the tools to be a GREAT fighter right....

Then why the **** is Golden Boy ****ing up his progress?

He wants to fight Cotto and Mayweather and all the big names, although I think both beat him at this point. Mayweather more so than Cotto. I can see him knocking Cotto the **** out and giving Maytheather a tough, tough fight due to his size, solid body work, exceptional power and veteran like poise.

The guy looks like a ****ing movie star. He can clearly box, very very well. He hits very, very hard and has an exciting fighting style. He is Mexican which means he has a huge fan base from the get. it just seems like he is to good to be true.

He seems like a nice guy, but Golden boy is undermining him. Is it a chin issue with him? I saw the Jose Cotto shot and he was not really hurt at all. Why are they not letting this beast loose to show the world what he can do?

What do you guys think the problem is? Is he just too young because that is a stupid reason look at Tyson, Patterson and Benitez.
bronx is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Lance_Uppercut
ESKIMO
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: We can all agree Canelo has the tools to be a GREAT fighter right....

Agreed. GBP is doing him no favors giving him the Berto treatment.
Lance_Uppercut is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: We can all agree Canelo has the tools to be a GREAT fighter right....

I think Mayweather UD's him, and Cotto knocks him out in a war.

Golden Boy are doing alright. They signed a teenage phenom and have built him into a potential superstar, he's a star right now. People lose sight of the fact that he's 21. He's a boy.

154 is the perfect division for that unique sort of Champion/prospect right now IMO. Excluding Mayweather and Cotto, there are no real threats, but solid fighters left, right and centre. Canelo is learning his trade, and fights against Kirkland, Dzinzurick, Angulo, and Trout (I assume they'll duck Lara forever.) will help him mature into a very complete fighter. Keep him fighting solid opponents, and he can take over when Mayweather and Pacquaio retire. Keeping him undefeated and confident is key, Boxing is a business, and Golden Boy have one hell of a chip to bank.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

Mayweather is in jail, Cotto has no interest in fighting him. They went after Kirkalnd, his shoulder won't be ready by September. They went after Paul Williams, he got paralyzed. They even went after Ortiz and he got beat. It seems to me that GBP's hands are tied a bit in regards to his upcoming bout.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
bronx
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
I think Mayweather UD's him, and Cotto knocks him out in a war.

Golden Boy are doing alright. They signed a teenage phenom and have built him into a potential superstar, he's a star right now. People lose sight of the fact that he's 21. He's a boy.

154 is the perfect division for that unique sort of Champion/prospect right now IMO. Excluding Mayweather and Cotto, there are no real threats, but solid fighters left, right and centre. Canelo is learning his trade, and fights against Kirkland, Dzinzurick, Angulo, and Trout (I assume they'll duck Lara forever.) will help him mature into a very complete fighter. Keep him fighting solid opponents, and he can take over when Mayweather and Pacquaio retire. Keeping him undefeated and confident is key, Boxing is a business, and Golden Boy have one hell of a chip to bank.

I just think that having him fight a Junior WW is a huge step back very low reward and what happens if Lopez manages to win or cut him up and rough him up his stock drops dramatically
bronx is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
bronx
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigReg View Post
Mayweather is in jail, Cotto has no interest in fighting him. They went after Kirkalnd, his shoulder won't be ready by September. They went after Paul Williams, he got paralyzed. They even went after Ortiz and he got beat. It seems to me that GBP's hands are tied a bit in regards to his upcoming bout.

damn they could have fought K9, Rosado, Quintana.....IDK man
bronx is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx View Post
I just think that having him fight a Junior WW is a huge step back very low reward and what happens if Lopez manages to win or cut him up and rough him up his stock drops dramatically
I agree, this fight shouldn't be happening.

I'd of rathered he fight Trout, or Quintana, who would present a different challenge.

I'd of actually prefered Mayorga to this guy, purely because he's not outsized, and we'd get a very entertaining 6 rounds.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
bronx
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
I agree, this fight shouldn't be happening.

I'd of rathered he fight Trout, or Quintana, who would present a different challenge.

I'd of actually prefered Mayorga to this guy, purely because he's not outsized, and we'd get a very entertaining 6 rounds.
hopefully it does not back fire on them he is basically the future of the sport frankly speaking and they need to let him be
bronx is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675

I'm not at all sold on the guy yet. I think he'll do well for th next couple of years, but he will slow down a lot. His body is already heavy as of now. I see him going the route of Vargas. Also, his skills are at a very predictable level. He needs lots more experience to bring in something unique to the ring. His current weight/build compliments his power so we still don't know how he will carry it later on.
Good shows though while he lasts.
JDK is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
GlassJawsExist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 496

Canelo would give anyone a tough fight.
GlassJawsExist is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
daprofessor
da legendary professor
East Side Guru

no, we can't all agree that canelo is a special fighter.

he's been benefitting from favorable match making much the same way pac was on his "rise." canelo is good....but he is outgrowing the division and won't be anything at middleweight because he's too small. right now he has a size/strength advantage...but he doesn't fight for 3 minutes. anyone who can push the pace on him and utilize some good defense can beat him.
daprofessor is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
BigReg
Broad Street Bully
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronx View Post
damn they could have fought K9, Rosado, Quintana.....IDK man
I like Rosado, but he's an ESPN level fighter right now. That bout makes zero sense. Why put Canelo in there with a potentially dangerous fighter when it won't advance his career if he wins? Quintana was considered shot not too long ago, and was brutalized by Berto. That fight does nothing for Canelo either. The Bundradge fight would've been good, but I guess they figured they'd go with a latino fighter if they couldn't get a big name.

Let's be real, Lopez is a handpicked opponent with little chance of winning. However, the structure of the sport dictated this matchup. They need to make money off of Canelo. They are not going to put him in there with any real threats at this point unless it wil advance his career.
BigReg is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #13
Atritionist
Champion
East Side Guru

The problem is they made him a Champ to soon, because they are still trying to treat him like a prospect.

People realy need to wake up and look at the opponents he's been facing. That's not the type of opposition a Champ should be fighting.

Suger Shane came off of two losses at 147 then got a shot at the 154 title!

Kermit Cintron was coming off a loss to Carlos Molina and got a shot at the title why not Molina?

and now Josecito Lopez who didn't even make 147 against Ortiz! Lopez even said in his interview after the fight that 154 was too big for him. Ortiz is smaller than Alvarez but he is bigger than Lopez.

This is crap match-making Lopez gets a shot at the 154 title when so many solid 154 contenders have done enough at that weight and are more deserving.
Atritionist is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #14
Doc
Champion
East Side Guru

I think its Disrespectful to JLO to undermine him so much, dude broke Ortiz's jaw, showed much better heart, boxing ability, and guts then ORTIZ who was supposed to steamroll him... JLO did earn his shot and Money payday if he so decides to sign, no one is forcing him. Dude is on a career high.... that Mindset creates upsets.

Still, GBP is ****ing up we KNOW Canelo is El DINERO of the future, but don't baby him to much or he won't grow and when they put him up with a challenge he might not perform...

GBP is taking care of their cash cow to much, CANELO wants MAYWEATHER/MARTINEZ/COTTO, and GBP rejects it for later....

SMH....
Doc is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
Atritionist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigReg View Post
I like Rosado, but he's an ESPN level fighter right now. That bout makes zero sense. Why put Canelo in there with a potentially dangerous fighter when it won't advance his career if he wins? Quintana was considered shot not too long ago, and was brutalized by Berto. That fight does nothing for Canelo either. The Bundradge fight would've been good, but I guess they figured they'd go with a latino fighter if they couldn't get a big name.

Let's be real, Lopez is a handpicked opponent with little chance of winning. However, the structure of the sport dictated this matchup. They need to make money off of Canelo. They are not going to put him in there with any real threats at this point unless it wil advance his career.
That's the problem right there, all those 154 contenders you mentioned up top are more deserving of a shot. Being that they are solid 154 contenders I think the public would of gave Canelo more respect as a Champ is he would of fought one of them like a true Champ should.
Atritionist is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum