Old 07-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #31
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Mir vs Werdum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primate View Post
You saw what you saw, I saw what I saw. IMO, Werdum won significant portions of the fight on the feet. The striking stats back that up, and the gifs provide a nice little snap shot of some of those moments.
Stats are numbers , numbers do not reflect a fight

Werdum wasn't capable of effectively out striking Overeem because he would of been caught with something eventually , hence the backwards dives to the mat

To outstrike somebody you have to stand there and beat them to the punch , or the strike effectively , example Shogun Machida 1 , Shogun out striking Machida
thewinfella is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2012, 07:31 PM   #32
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Wait, so to effectively out strike someone you have to stand in front of them and knock them out?
The dropping to the mat constantly was a stupid, bizarre gameplan on Werdums part, and it absolute cost him the fight, but there's no denying that Werdums striking was, at times, more effective than Overeems during that fight.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #33
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Wait, so to effectively out strike someone you have to stand in front of them and knock them out?
The dropping to the mat constantly was a stupid, bizarre gameplan on Werdums part, and it absolute cost him the fight, but there's no denying that Werdums striking was, at times, more effective than Overeems during that fight.
Did somebody get knocked out when Machida fought Shogun the first time round ???

Werdum attempted to pull guard after every exchange because he felt he had too , a humans strongest instinct is self preservation , you know instantly if you are stood opposite a better striker , which is precisely what Werdum was

Based on your theory do you think Werdum beat Overeem ???
Old 07-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #34
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

No, as I said, the ridiculous attempts at pulling guard cost him the fight. You can attribute those attempts to whatever you want, but Werdum was outstriking Overeem during a lot of the exchanges, guard pull or otherwise.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 07:49 PM   #35
afterglow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Werdum would pull Mir into deep waters and make him quit.

TKO in the 2nd.

That's deep waters for Mir.
afterglow is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #36
TerryESB
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 135

Quote:
That is how Werdum beat Fedor. He got hit by a decent punch and flopped, when he wasnt really hurt that bad to lure him to the ground. And it worked.

He tried to ruse Overroid like that.Any time a half decent shot glanced him, he was going down like he was shot.
TerryESB is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #37
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post

Based on your theory do you think Werdum beat Overeem ???
I had Werdum winning. I haven't watched the fight since it happened, but I believe had Werdum winning rounds 1 and 3. I was annoyed by all the flops to the ground, but that isn't against the rules. Werdum landed the more significant shots throughout the fight.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 07-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #38
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
I had Werdum winning. I haven't watched the fight since it happened, but I believe had Werdum winning rounds 1 and 3. I was annoyed by all the flops to the ground, but that isn't against the rules. Werdum landed the more significant shots throughout the fight.
Octagon control and aggression ?? , effective striking ??

I seen none of this from Werdum , effective grappling ?? , nope none of that either

Damage scored ??

But what probably lost the fight for Werdum was the unwillingness to engage , making it impossible for him to achieve any of the above , the rare moments of success for Overeem cancelled out Werdums work because he wasn't willing to exchange , he didn't even shoot a double leg !!! , Overeem didn't win the fight Werdum threw it away , it would of been very difficult for any judge to score that fight to Werdum
Old 07-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #39
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Octagon control and aggression ?? , effective striking ??

I seen none of this from Werdum , effective grappling ?? , nope none of that either

Damage scored ??

But what probably lost the fight for Werdum was the unwillingness to engage , making it impossible for him to achieve any of the above , the rare moments of success for Overeem cancelled out Werdums work because he wasn't willing to exchange , he didn't even shoot a double leg !!! , Overeem didn't win the fight Werdum threw it away , it would of been very difficult for any judge to score that fight to Werdum
The term isn't just aggression. It's effective aggression. Werdum landed more total strikes, and landed more significant strikes. How could the current K1 champion be demonstrating any kind of control and effective aggression when was out struck by a jiu jitsu guy?

Neither fighter was willing to engage. Werdum was desperately trying to get the fight to the ground, which is where his greatest strength is. Overeem wanted to keep it standing, where his strength is, and refused to engage Werdum on the ground. While all of this is going on, Werdum lands more strikes. It is all there was to go on.

Ocatgon Control- Stalemate

Effective Aggression- Werdum threw more strikes, but flopped to the canvas every chance he could. Stalemate.

What's left to score? There was hardly any grappling. Oh, yeah... the number of strikes. Werdum threw and landed more strikes.

I don't see anyway Overeem won this encounter. The fans surely didn't win watching this fight. The only person that I see that won in any kind of fashion was Werdum, and it was ugly at that.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum