Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #16
bck620
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: *VIDEO* Smuggled Cuban Boxing Secrets!

I agree with everyone else- very cool video! Excellent points made.
bck620 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I have to be totally honest here - I've been doing this stuff for years. All that jab variation, that has been my whole ethos for a very long time. I don't think this stuff is exclusive to Cuba, more like it's exclusive for people who think deeply about boxing.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #18
Juan Ma Lopez
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

This you Marcos? AT 50 seconds

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Juan Ma Lopez is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #19
Marcos Avellan

Thanks guys for the posts! And yes Juan, that is me, in the red shorts. We have our trip to Cuba on youtube in a series of videos, if you do a search for "FFA in Cuba" you can see all the videos. You can see by the lessons being taught and the subtitles that the lesson I showed in this video is straight from Coach Miranda. If you understand Spanish, you can hear it directly, but if not, no worries, the subtitles are well translated.

And although this is a boxing forum, if you're into muay thai kickboxing, I have my trip to Thailand also well documented, you just have to search, "FFA Thailand".

Both trips were absolutely amazing. Besides the actual training being incredible, both countries are absolutely beautiful and the people in both countries are very nice.
Marcos Avellan is offline  Top
Old 07-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #20
Jayd

vCash: 1000

this is actually amazing opened my mind damn i need to show my trainer this. this video is a game changer
Jayd is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #21
Jappa
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Damn.

You watch this and you think, why the **** didn't I think of it? It's so simple yet it makes you think so much about your own game.
Jappa is offline  Top
Old 07-11-2012, 02:22 PM   #22
BoxinScienceUSA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

that's some really good stuff. thanks for sharing it.

my question for you is, when do you introduce these philosophies of innovative randomness (from day one, before intro to "sparring", after sparring but before comp, when they're ready, etc)?

and if you don't do it from day one, how important are everyday fundamentals for a beginner? do you teach your entry level athletes traditional fundamentals for a period of time, then add this variety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
I have to be totally honest here - I've been doing this stuff for years. All that jab variation, that has been my whole ethos for a very long time. I don't think this stuff is exclusive to Cuba, more like it's exclusive for people who think deeply about boxing.
Manassa, you're right, many fighters do this already, but i'm going to guess that YOU learn a lot by mimicking, using high repetitions and then build it into practical experience. i'm sure you also know plenty of guys who "plateau" and look the same after months, even years. maybe because they're not looking for new info. maybe no one is handing it to them. this attribute process is a great way for a coach to spark innovation from an experienced fighter. everyone who has even basic ring experience will understand range, defense, footwork, angles and tempo. telling a fighter to spend 10min with a focus on an individual element, then a last 10min (3x3rds) on mixing it up could be a huge game changer. AND, as a coach, inbetween each of those last three rounds i'll ask, "which attribute are you favoring and which are you neglecting? now take that information and adjust the next round".

again, really good stuff. thanks!
BoxinScienceUSA is offline  Top
Old 07-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #23
bballchump11
2011 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 233

great stuff
bballchump11 is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #24
Stevenson#1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2415

Great video , Miranda is a hell of a coach ! Keep it up !. Peace .
Stevenson#1 is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2012, 07:21 AM   #25
SlicedAlone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
I agree. Sometimes I wonder about a certain over-technicality in modern training. Like when Hatton was being trained by Floyd Sr and all Floyd would talk about was an up-jab like it was this crazy secret technique. Alot of guys have been throwing jabs and every other punch from many angles, any angle
they see to be the most effective at the time. I see a lot of it happening in MMA too. It's why I really like fighters like Diaz. He seems to have the James Toney approach to MMA which is view it like a craft and work the shit out of it by sparring and you'll instinctively find those skills and nuances that make you better. Also, I have a bit of an issue with unconditional devotion to a certain trainer and not thinking for yourself. It's like Roach said about Toney "I don't really teach him, he already knows what to do" or something along those lines.
Don't get me wrong, use those trainers you pay 'em for it, so soak up what you can but remember they're human too. If you have the resources and options mix it up and go train everywhere you can.
SlicedAlone is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #26
SlicedAlone

BTW, I do like this video. Very insightful and provides new perspective.
SlicedAlone is offline  Top
Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #27
Hammer Muldoon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAKoujtyPP4[/ame]

Just posted this in the documentary thread in the lounge and thought i'd post it here as well. Shows how dedicated and disciplined the training is in Cuba, even for very young fighters.
Hammer Muldoon is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing