Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-17-2012, 12:02 AM   #1
Phill-Mitchell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default James "chunky" Degale

What is your opinion of him?

I used to think he was really going places, I feel he is naturally very talented, he does show flashes of an elite skillset, but he seems lazy and very arrogant.

I thought his fight with groves was very close, and that degale really underestimated and had no respect for George.

I hoped he would learn from that and be better for it, because if he really worked hard and kept focused he would be a really good fighter. Sadly I just don't think he has the focus
Phill-Mitchell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2012, 12:57 AM   #2
|A|C|S|
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 412
Default Re: James "chunky" Degale

i like his style its unusual for a Brit to have a style like that, yeah he does need to be focused i think after he got wobbled in that fight with that big guy think reality kicked in a bit for him he knows he aint superman now
|A|C|S| is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #3
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

Sometimes he looks like he has actual power and then other times he throws these slappy shots.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
MickyBlueEyes
Journeyman

The opinion he has of himself is far higher than anyone elses opinion of him - and that's the problem!!

This hasn't just been since he turned pro, as he was like this when he was at Dale Youth as an am. He behaves like a spoilt brat when he doesn't get his own way. One example was in the ABA's when he got beat by George Groves and he refused to train or spar with him after, deciding he would go to the gym on different nights to train with the juniors!!!!

He obviously has ability, that's clear, but for me he will never fullfil that potential because of his arrogance. Technically he is decent and has the skillset, doesn't get hit often but for me he does not hit hard enough to move any higher than he is now. I feel that even Steiglitz, possibly the weakest of the world champions in the division, would beat James at this point in time imo.

Get rid of Ronald Mcdonald as his trainer, get rid of ***** as there's obvious issues there, and see if he can kick-on, lose the attitude, lose the pre-fight cuntishness, and concentrate on his boxing.
MickyBlueEyes is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 02:38 AM   #5
Phill-Mitchell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I don't think his power is a problem, andre ward has proven that technique is what really mattefo

I'm not comparing degale to ward by the way
Phill-Mitchell is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 02:42 AM   #6
Clint Eastwood
Do You Feel Lucky, Punk?!
ESB Full Member

He is having promotion problems at the minute i think. But yeah he thinks he is better than anyone else does. What do you think should be next for him?
Clint Eastwood is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
somebody
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

After getting humbled and beaten and also rocked and following his interviews , mocked, he has probably realised his shit doesn't smell that fantastic. If he doubts it, it's all on youtube to watch anytime he likes.
somebody is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
Bronxbull666
The Beast From The East
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

I don't like the way he talks, got what he deserved against Groves. But I like that he's going about business quietly now. The sky's the limit for him, heavy-handed, technically sound, and I think he'll always find a way to win on those off nights.
Bronxbull666 is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 06:40 AM   #9
Decy
Barely Coherent
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxbull666 View Post
I don't like the way he talks, got what he deserved against Groves. But I like that he's going about business quietly now. The sky's the limit for him, heavy-handed, technically sound, and I think he'll always find a way to win on those off nights.
He's not going about his business quietly his career is in limbo due to his fall out with Frankie.As soon as he is fighting again expect the cuntishness to resume it's a pity as he's a great talent but the mentality seems to be awry.
Decy is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #10
Don't Damn Me
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

The inactivity of the likes of DeGale, Groves, Bellew and Price is criminal.

If/when he ever gets it together, I think he'll go far. Would seriously benefit from getting his head down and moving to the USA I think.
Don't Damn Me is offline  Top
Old 07-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #11
Olu G. Rotimi
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill-Mitchell View Post

I used to think he was really going places, I feel he is naturally very talented, he does show flashes of an elite skillset, but he seems lazy and very arrogant.

I thought his fight with groves was very close, and that degale really underestimated and had no respect for George.

I hoped he would learn from that and be better for it, because if he really worked hard and kept focused he would be a really good fighter. Sadly I just don't think he has the focus
Big Phil Degale has some good skills but no where near as good as he thinks. Flashiness and substance are not the same thing. He looked a million dollars against Paul Smith but people did not grasp that Paul Smith was ready made to order. I know Groves would beat Degale because not only are Groves fundamentals better he has superior fighting IQ which is a quality Degale lacks. Groves has several ways of beating Degale. By boxing on the backfoot DeGale did not have an answer. Even if you don't like your opponent you don't go in there not respecting him. Degale prepared with his cheerleaders whilst Groves went to Florida sparring with seasoned better world class fighters like the Dirrell brothers, hungry youngsters like Chris EubanK Jnr etc. The early years in developing a young fighter are critical. Ward learned, Groves is learning unfortunately Degale is not.
Olu G. Rotimi is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #12
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Hes a ****ing Gobshite and deserves to be treated by contempt by FWP... He has ideas above his station and thinks hes a big shot ... in fairness he done well in his last fight in denmark ,but hes still a gobshite
alba is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #13
jonnytightlips
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
Hes a ****ing Gobshite and deserves to be treated by contempt by FWP... He has ideas above his station and thinks hes a big shot ... in fairness he done well in his last fight in denmark ,but hes still a gobshite
jonnytightlips is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #14
adam249390
a249390
ESB Senior Member

degale is quality IMO
everyob banging on about groves beating him but it could have went either way
id fancy degale when they fight again
adam249390 is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 08:24 AM   #15
rampant
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill-Mitchell View Post

So what has he failed to do in your opinion after losing to Groves?

He hasnt been beaten by anyone else and is the European Champ?
rampant is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum