Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 AM   #19
I heart Amir
23|1|26|1|1
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Enzo Calzaghe offers to coach dethroned Amir Khan

No way.

Amir shouldn't go with Enzo.

Amir should go with Virgil Hunter, if not Manny Steward.
I heart Amir is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #20
Bub
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 528

bad idea
Bub is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #21
RNS
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
Amir should be looking North not south ha ha

true, I think you should train him Mr Nelson
RNS is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2012, 12:01 PM   #22
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
Amir should be looking North not south ha ha

i dont think sparring ricky burns is gonna be helpful to that mandible he possesses
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

I think enzos pretty good.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2012, 01:30 PM   #24
Redondo5
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 4380

khan might look at garcia and say it worked for him....?

but really this would be great just to hear calzaghe during the breaks, can you imagine it
Redondo5 is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #25
Big N Bad
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Rainbows View Post
Enzo Calzaghe offers to coach dethroned Amir Khan

World champion boxing coach Enzo Calzaghe has offered former WBA light-welterweight champion Amir Khan the chance to rebuild his career with him.

Khan, 25, insists he will not retire after being stopped in the fourth round by unbeaten WBC champion Danny Garcia in Las Vegas on Sunday.

But he may look to work with another trainer because current coach Freddie Roach cannot commit totally to him.

"My next goal is to talk to Amir Khan and his team," said Calzaghe.

"We spoke before, about three years ago. I have always believed Amir is a great fighter, despite what people think.

"People say he should quit but I don't think he should be quitting. I believe with the right trainer - and my CV speaks for itself - he will be unbeatable.

"I would love to train the kid."

The 63-year-old, one-time coach of former super-middleweight champion Joe Calzaghe, had his training licence reinstated in June after his old one lapsed following son Joe's retirement in 2009.

Calzaghe, who took a break from boxing when Calzaghe Jr retired, has been in the corner for 33 world title fights for Calzaghe, former WBO cruiserweight champion Enzo Maccarinelli and former WBA light-welterweight titleholder Gavin Rees.

He currently has no top fighter in his south Wales stable but Calzaghe is keen to talk with 2004 Olympic silver medallist Khan, who has been trained by Roach in the United States since 2008.

The Bolton boxer, who thinks he will be back in action with another light-welterweight fight in December, has stated things must change in his preparation for bouts following successive defeats to Lamont Peterson and now Garcia.

Los Angeles-based Roach has led Khan to two world titles but the world famous coach also looks after welterweight superstar Manny Pacquiao.

While Khan is keen to remain with his current mentor, he feels he needs guarantees.

"I need a trainer with me 100%," said Khan.

"Freddie is a very busy guy and he is busy because he is a great trainer and is one of the best and biggest names out there.

"I don't really want to be sharing.

"When I'm not there I don't mind what Freddie does, but [in camp] I just need someone who is going to be with me constantly and working hard with me."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
imho, enzo calzaghe has produced some great technical fighters like joe calzaghe, nathan cleverly and gavin rees.

lets use joe calzaghe as a example. he is/was a consummate pro. extremly versatile, he could adapt to any style of fight.

techincally he does it all. offensively he's a machine but can switch to defense at any time even half way through a combo once has commited unlike khan!

he mixes up his defense unlike khan or pacman, he blocks, parries, uses his feet, traps punches, bobbing and weaving. plenty of foot, shoulder and hand feints...even using bobbing and weaving as a feint to keep the opponent thinking.
on the inside calzaghe is awesome, uses a winky wright type of defense (remember versatile) great head movement and stays calm like a pro! also he has an awesome jab. calzaghe plays around with tempo, confusing his opponent not letting them get into a rythem. he plays with the speed and power too for the above reason. khan cant do this. he only fights at 100% speed and power thats what got him knocked out.

khan cant do half of this stuff, he is a professional amateur.

nathan clev and rees are similar but not on the level of calzaghe. this cant have happened by an accident. credit must be given to enzo calzaghe.

also the calzaghes are old school. non of this strength and conditioner stuff and they still have the best fitness in boxing! thats amazing! i reckon khan and enzo could be a great marriage stylistically.
Big N Bad is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #26
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Bad idea. Enzos style is good conditioning and fast combos. Khan doesn't need that. He needs ALOT of work technically. His balance and footwork, despite his speed, is REALLY poor.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 07-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #27
HOF
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big N Bad View Post
nathan clev and rees are similar but not on the level of calzaghe. this cant have happened by an accident. credit must be given to enzo calzaghe.
Enzo was good for Joe but Joe's natural ability was what made his career. Yes Enzo was a good motivator and made sure he got his roadwork and stuff done so fitness was drilled into Joe from an early age. But when it came to what was required tactically it was Joe's natural instinct that saw him through when things needed changing. If Khan was having trouble letting his punches go then maybe you might read something into Enzo being of some use, but Khan's problem is his defence and in particualr getting hit on the way out after throwing his own. This was one of the problems with camp Calzaghe.

Joe got away with it because he could take a hell of a punch and had a great instinct in terms of gauging distance and changing his approach of his own accord. Enzo Mac, however, didn't have the same chin or natural boxing brain - exactly the deficiencies Khan has. Khan would be better off studying some Mayweather and Whitaker tapes on avoiding and rolling with punches instead of getting caught flush down the pipe. If he had Joe's chin it might not be such an issue, but he hasn't.
HOF is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 07:05 AM   #28
porkypara
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big N Bad View Post
imho, enzo calzaghe has produced some great technical fighters like joe calzaghe, nathan cleverly and gavin rees.

lets use joe calzaghe as a example. he is/was a consummate pro. extremly versatile, he could adapt to any style of fight.

techincally he does it all. offensively he's a machine but can switch to defense at any time even half way through a combo once has commited unlike khan!

he mixes up his defense unlike khan or pacman, he blocks, parries, uses his feet, traps punches, bobbing and weaving. plenty of foot, shoulder and hand feints...even using bobbing and weaving as a feint to keep the opponent thinking.
on the inside calzaghe is awesome, uses a winky wright type of defense (remember versatile) great head movement and stays calm like a pro! also he has an awesome jab. calzaghe plays around with tempo, confusing his opponent not letting them get into a rythem. he plays with the speed and power too for the above reason. khan cant do this. he only fights at 100% speed and power thats what got him knocked out.

khan cant do half of this stuff, he is a professional amateur.

also the calzaghes are old school. non of this strength and conditioner stuff and they still have the best fitness in boxing! thats amazing! i reckon khan and enzo could be a great marriage stylistically.
Gary Loceket deserves the credit for gAVIN Rees.

When he was with Enzo he was not even boxing in his correct weight division.
porkypara is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #29
White Tiger
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

A superstar like Khan down at the infamous "Camp Calzaghe" - I have my doubts about the success they would have - now that Camp Cazlaghe has come under a dark cloud - what with Joe's retirement and Enzo Macc - convicted of drug violations - and Clev jumped the sinking Camp Calzaghe ship a few years back now and Bradely Price to busy on his X Box to be bothered to train anymore - who has Enzo Calzaghe got left ? pure entertainment that would be watching Khan go from the glamorous surroundings of California gyms and beach body perfect blonde ladies working out on the cross trainer across the room - to a sweaty Newbridge Shack with a few bags hanging up on the ceiling and a old ring - but the main purpose of the building is just a place to keep Enzo Calzaghes recording studio in the back room to make his hit tunes like the one about son Joe - 46- 0.
White Tiger is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum