Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-21-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
RNS
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: British boxer jailed for 7 years for manslaughter

it's just tragic.

but i have little sympathy for Mitchell, he is/was a professional boxer, he should have had shown some sort of control.

I bet there have been times when many of us on here have been at work or on a night out and have wanted to roll somebody out but have controlled ourselves for various reasons.
RNS is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #17
Llanlad
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Not knowing what happened at all or what the individuals involved where like .. its still very difficult to defend the boxer in this situation.
Llanlad is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #18
Joe.Boxer
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

vCash: 240

No one here knows the details as usual.

"So just stfu."
Joe.Boxer is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #19
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxalot View Post

It's just a punch-up on a night out gone wrong. I bet 90% of ESB have had a drunken scrap on a night out and if one of you hit someone who then whacked their head on the curb and died, would you deserve 7 years in prison? Not imo, no. You'd certainly feel like you've been harshly treated, that's for sure. Conversely, a young man has died and his family would probably want the person they believe responsible for their loss to pay for his actions. It's a tough one.

But not everyone involved in a punch up is a trained boxer. There is a responsibility on the boxers behalf to recognize that, and thus in this situation it had to be taken into account by the judge, in sentencing.

I am sure most of us have worked knowing something is unsafe. If this unsafe act led to a death, there would be a manslaughter charge open to the authorities.
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #20
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughD View Post
very harsh
7 years for punching someone? that happens multiple times on a night out up town

no its 7 years for killing someone
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #21
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

Difficult to know without the full story....

But as a boxer and actually a humans in general you need to exercise self control.

If you react to every situation by belting someone you will eventually land in trouble.

As someone I know just found out with a 6 year all expenses holiday top the Isle of Wight.
Will is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #22
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxalot View Post
Cases like this are tough to analyse correctly.

Scraps happen on nights out when the beer has been flowing, that's just a fact. If he really meant to cause this lad a great deal of physical harm then he would have carried on beating him up after he'd floored him the first time. If the 'victim' appraoched him a second time knowing exactly what would happen, then more fool him. He'd already been punched and floored once, he must have known what would happen. Did he deserve what happened? Absolutely not, no, but i highly, highly doubt that Tye meant to kill or even seriously harm the man in question.

It's just a punch-up on a night out gone wrong. I bet 90% of ESB have had a drunken scrap on a night out and if one of you hit someone who then whacked their head on the curb and died, would you deserve 7 years in prison? Not imo, no. You'd certainly feel like you've been harshly treated, that's for sure. Conversely, a young man has died and his family would probably want the person they believe responsible for their loss to pay for his actions. It's a tough one.

how often have we heard about folks dying/becoming permanently disabled after their head hits the pavement? It happens way too often for people to not be aware of the risks. If people can't control themselves, it's on them. Alcohol is no excuse.

Most folks have probably been in a scrap at some point on a night out, but most are very lucky. There's always a small chance that something like this can happen though. I bet the boxer did not mean to kill the lad, but he still chose to take the risk. Like drink driving. People don't mean to kill, but they are aware of what can happen. On another day the victim may have landed a knockout blow that caused someone elses head to hit the pavement. On another day he may have fell in a way that lessened the impact and he would have been okay.

People need to leave their egos at home on nights out. The way I see it is this. If I end up killing someone or if I end up dead or with a serious, life changing injury, I want it to be for a better reason than a guy calling me a **** or staring at me, or spilling my drink. Imagine being in a prison cell and thinking "why didn't I just let it go".
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
avo
I Got Milk Baby!!!
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
dont believe that one bit, if that was the case then he would of got off for self defence
not if the other guy didnt punch him might have squared up to him and acted threatingly
avo is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #24
ero-sennin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avo View Post
not if the other guy didnt punch him might have squared up to him and acted threatingly
Still would have got off for self defence as the law in this country allows you to make a pre-emptive strike if you feel there is an immediate threat to you.
ero-sennin is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #25
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I've only ever had a couple of rumbles on a night out.... and I've been in Leeds city centre on average probably twice/three times a month for the past ten years.

There's a few golden rules - always apologise if you bump into someone. If someone bumps into you on purpose just walk away. If someone starts on you try and reason with them.

The weekend after I had my eyes done I was stood in front of a table in Yates, turned round to pick up my drink and accidentally knocked another lad's drink (which was nearly empty) over. Started carrying on so I pulled a fiver out of my pocket and told him to get himself another, and headed for a piss.

Came back and the lad had bought himself one but still wanted a row. Given that I was in no fit state to fight anyone (or wanted to) I tried to explain that I'd recently had an op, the next thing I knew I'd nearly been blown over by the wind created by a HUGE right hook that missed by about ten feet.

Bouncers came over, and it was

Other times there's been arguments in takeaways and shit, which can usually be resolved by a bit of banter, or ''we've all had a good night, let's not spoil it by getting nicked''. Usually people will agree, other times it's ''**** off you flash cunt, who the **** do you think you are''.... even though I'm not at all flash, just prefer to go home in peace
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #26
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ero-sennin View Post
how often have we heard about folks dying/becoming permanently disabled after their head hits the pavement? It happens way too often for people to not be aware of the risks. If people can't control themselves, it's on them. Alcohol is no excuse.

Most folks have probably been in a scrap at some point on a night out, but most are very lucky. There's always a small chance that something like this can happen though. I bet the boxer did not mean to kill the lad, but he still chose to take the risk. Like drink driving. People don't mean to kill, but they are aware of what can happen. On another day the victim may have landed a knockout blow that caused someone elses head to hit the pavement. On another day he may have fell in a way that lessened the impact and he would have been okay.

People need to leave their egos at home on nights out. The way I see it is this. If I end up killing someone or if I end up dead or with a serious, life changing injury, I want it to be for a better reason than a guy calling me a **** or staring at me, or spilling my drink. Imagine being in a prison cell and thinking "why didn't I just let it go".

exactly but there is always a time to defend you and yours on a night out if means be, im not saying this guy did sounds like he didnt but in general and if something bad happens to the other person its tough luck and should be waved off in court
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #27
Anaboilc lion
Belt holder
ESB Addict

This was not the 1st time this guy has done this , he has previous convictions for similar stuff - so I think sentence is right

If he was a first time offender with a clean record then it would have been harsh
Anaboilc lion is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #28
hughesa
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

At the end of the day, if you hit someone and is not in self defence (i.e. a you or them situation) and the die then somebody has got to pay. There needs to be a deterrent. And also punishment. The family need to feel like someone is paying for taking their son away. Too many boxers/mma fighters out there wanting to test their skills out on the streets. They have to realise that they can do a lot more damage to people than the average man. Even if they do not kill them, they can give them life changing injuries.
hughesa is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #29
boxingcrazy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
dont believe that one bit, if that was the case then he would of got off for self defence
You can only use self defence if you have no way of escaping ie If you are locked in a room with no way to escape.

Even if you are attacked by a couple of people in the street and you hit them to escape it is not self defence because you can run away from the incident.

It's shit but that the way it is.
boxingcrazy is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #30
madg321
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 642

Quote:
Originally Posted by avo View Post
yeah i'm not saying he should be set free and don't really know the situation and it was the guy hitting his head on the concrete that caused the trauma but it's not like he was being ****y or anything showing off it's just a tragedy for both familys and these things happen.
Either way how ever this kid iis a trained fighter..... he should be banned for life he should serve a extended sentance....
madg321 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum