mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jack Dempsey versus Jerry Quarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Shoogar View Post
Who takes this and how?
This would be are run of the 1st Quarry Frazier fight , but would not last as long ,Jack was more explosive than Frazier. A fans ,fistic , fist fest,ferocious,and frilling.
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #17
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
This is actually a good fight and noway 1 that Dempsey dominates, Dempsey probably has never beat an opponent as good as Jerry Quarry

Quarry is better technically than Dempsey and makes less mistakes, his punches aren't as telegraphed as Dempsey's can be and he has a jab. Dempsey is the better puncher overall though and maybe has the better stamina. Quarry is bigger with an iron chin

Dempsey has the better stamina here though, so for that reason he has the edge as the fight progresses

Cut it anyway you want but Quarry probably beat better fighters than Dempsey and Dempsey also got dominated against his best opponent. He also drew against Miske, lost to Meehan and got KO'd by Fireman Flyn and resorted to cheating to beat Sharkey

Also Quarry looked shit against Frazier? I take you haven't seen that fight, the bigger Frazier had to walk through fire to get the win

If Quarry didn't have to fight black fighters to become champion and keep the championship how long would he have been champ for?
As usual Quarry gets overrated. I've seen all of the Quarry massacres. He was aggressive vs. Frazier in 1969 fight but he never hurt Frazier or had control of the fight. Whatever he gave Frazier... I certainly wouldn't call it hell. Anyway, he didn't make it past round 7. It was an entertaining scrap but Quarry never had a chance in this fight.

Quarry really didnt get a chance to do much vs.

Ali LKOby3 in 1970

Ali LKOby7 in 1972

Frazier LKOby5 in 1974

Norton LKOby5 in 1975... I'll admit that this wasn't the best version of Quarry that I've ever seen but Norton was on this night. I'm not sure he could have ever done much better.

Some of you act like Quarry was robbed in these fights or something. He never even made it to round 8 vs. any fighter who was ever a World Champ and he was never ahead in these fights. Oba Carr did better vs. DeLaHoya, Trinidad, and Quartey. He also beat Derrell Coley, Frankie Randall, and Campas, and drew with Anthony Jones. Carr did more than hold his own in the losses I mentioned. He dropped Trinidad and fought very well before being stopped in round 8. Lost a close decision to Quartey. Gave DeLaHoya much trouble before being stopped in round 11.

As time goes by Quarry keeps getting better and better. Now he has a good jab and was a great counterpuncher? Yeah, I'll admit he was a tough guy but he down a good bit and not just by top fighters. He was also stopped 6 times. His overall durability was not on the level with guys like Ward or even Gatti.
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #18
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookie View Post
As usual Quarry gets overrated. I've seen all of the Quarry massacres. He was aggressive vs. Frazier in 1969 fight but he never hurt Frazier or had control of the fight. Whatever he gave Frazier... I certainly wouldn't call it hell. Anyway, he didn't make it past round 7. It was an entertaining scrap but Quarry never had a chance in this fight.

Quarry really didnt get a chance to do much vs.

Ali LKOby3 in 1970

Ali LKOby7 in 1972

Frazier LKOby5 in 1974

Norton LKOby5 in 1975... I'll admit that this wasn't the best version of Quarry that I've ever seen but Norton was on this night. I'm not sure he could have ever done much better.

Some of you act like Quarry was robbed in these fights or something. He never even made it to round 8 vs. any fighter who was ever a World Champ and he was never ahead in these fights. Oba Carr did better vs. DeLaHoya, Trinidad, and Quartey. He also beat Derrell Coley, Frankie Randall, and Campas, and drew with Anthony Jones. Carr did more than hold his own in the losses I mentioned. He dropped Trinidad and fought very well before being stopped in round 8. Lost a close decision to Quartey. Gave DeLaHoya much trouble before being stopped in round 11.

As time goes by Quarry keeps getting better and better. Now he has a good jab and was a great counterpuncher? Yeah, I'll admit he was a tough guy but he down a good bit and not just by top fighters. He was also stopped 6 times. His overall durability was not on the level with guys like Ward or even Gatti.
You're making the mistake of using records instead of studying the film. And in what way have I overrated Quarry, I don't consider him great just a very good contender and better than anyone Dempsey beat.

And Quarry wasn't as durrable as Ward or Gatti now His stoppages against Frazier/Ali in the first fights were cuts stoppages, his rematch with Ali was waved off when he wanted to continue, the Frazier rematch past his best the ref stopped it same with Norton. His chin was rock solid, especially in his prime

Quarry was giving Frazier a pasting early on, rewatch the fight

Quarry fought everyone in the best HW era, Dempsey avoided the best in a poor era. Quarry probably beats everyone than Dempsey beat, there's not too much shame in losing to ATGs
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #19
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
a straight forward, predictable brawler against a sharp shooting, master counter puncher and it's a recipe for success
I rate Chandler slightly higher than most at #9 BW all time, most have him just outside of the top 10. I also rate him even higher H2H...But inspite of the fact that our TS is an arrogant, argumentative, condescending, moronic troll....Fenech would be an absolute nightmare for Chandler and can't think of a worse style for him to go against.

I would still cheer for Chandler and likely even pick him if this could actually happen. I have an easier time picking Chandler against Pintor (and YES, even Olivares...blasphame). I believe Jeff would win the early rounds against Pintor as the range and timing gets established and control the long range fighting...I likewise believe he would control the mid range fighting...If Pinto has an edge against Chandler it would be in the infighting...And since Chandler was a pretty good infighter himself, Pintor's edge would be slight if it actually exists at all.

fenech on the other hand is going to bring intense pressure right out of the gate, and leave Chandler no comfort spots during the fight requiring him to fight a full 3 minutes with fenech totooed to his chest all night. Fenech could also wear him down with tie ups and grappling during those long periods Chandler would spend with the ropes pressing against his back. Perhaps the best argument for Chandler is that Fenech may have still been a little green to deal with Chandler at his stage....If there is a stoppage, it would be Fenech stopping Chandler. I just remember how Gabby Canizales worked Jeff all night long, and think if that frustrated him imagine what Fenech would do.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 12:20 PM   #20
Hammer

I don't see Quarry pulling this off. What are his advantages again? Didn't Dempsey also have heart, chin, durability (damn sure didn't cut as easily), was well conditioned, had more power, and more speed? Or am I thinking about a different Dempsey?

Last edited by Hammer; 07-22-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Hammer is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
You're making the mistake of using records instead of studying the film. And in what way have I overrated Quarry, I don't consider him great just a very good contender and better than anyone Dempsey beat.

And Quarry wasn't as durrable as Ward or Gatti now His stoppages against Frazier/Ali in the first fights were cuts stoppages, his rematch with Ali was waved off when he wanted to continue, the Frazier rematch past his best the ref stopped it same with Norton. His chin was rock solid, especially in his prime

Quarry was giving Frazier a pasting early on, rewatch the fight

Quarry fought everyone in the best HW era, Dempsey avoided the best in a poor era. Quarry probably beats everyone than Dempsey beat, there's not too much shame in losing to ATGs
You act like he was bleeding before theses fights started.

I for one think Quarry's skin is what gets underrated lol Quarry could take a lot of punishment before his skin opened up!

He got stopped on cuts because he got hit a lot... that's gonna make you not so durable IMO. If a fighter gets cut a lot and stopped on cuts... Henry Cooper, Jerry Quarry, etc... then I will view them as not so durable. It has nothing to do with heart or chin. Quarry did have heart and he did have a decent chin... but he could be dropped and he was dropped (7 times I think) and not always by big punchers.

How many times did you ever see Ward go down? Two quick knockdowns I believe. He was stopped on cuts once and that was BS.

I'm not one who overrates Dempsey BTW. I think he gets overrated a lot... but not as much as Quarry does.
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #22
Curtis Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quarry is maybe my favorite fighter, but he was incredibly inconsistent. You never knew which Quarry was going to show up.

Got to go with Dempsey in great brawl.
Curtis Lowe is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 12:06 AM   #23
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

See Frazier-Quarry and this one would be similar
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #24
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
This would be are run of the 1st Quarry Frazier fight , but would not last as long ,Jack was more explosive than Frazier. A fans ,fistic , fist fest,ferocious,and frilling.
you would have saved me typing the same thing if I had read this post...this is how I see it.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum