Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 07-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #16
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885
Default Re: Your sporting acheivements....

ive had one AM fight and won it. Got my face on the back page of the uni newspaper. Literally the only sporting achievement in my life. Was shit at football/cricket/rugby/darts/pool you name it I'm shit at it. Was a decent swimmer and am ok at squash but never cared enough about either to make much of a go boxing is the only thing I seem to have any natural skill with and thats just a decent chin.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #17
rhinocoote
mexican steamroller
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 940

i never got picked to compete but i won the 200 metres competing in the year above (when i was eleven)
i never got picked for the team but i scored a three pointer with my back to the hoop in my own half.
i never got picked for the footy team, but recently captained the staff team to the semi-finals of inter-county with two 4-0 wins
i am rubbish at darts but i got a 134 finish playing my mate at darts
i have dreamt about being the champion of the world everyday since i was 5 but have never had a fight.
rhinocoote is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #18
tmsbry
ESB Addict

vCash: 14400

Still Boxing now

Had 17 bouts, won 16 of em

Won the army major units twice
Won the army individual championships twice
Won the Haringey box cup twice

Going for the ABA's next year
tmsbry is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #19
Big Bang
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Been in to motorcycles since I was a wee one and not being given the chance to go racing from an early age I decided to give it a shot back in 2009 at the ripe old age of 26. Turned up late in a Mercedes Vito with an orange rookie vest and my half prepared bike and set out to qualifying against some guys who had been riding in British Supersport. Put it on the front row of the grid, won the next day and set the lap record. Ran out of money after that but the race was broadcast on sky tv and I was in the Bradford newspapers and various Motrocycle Magazines
Big Bang is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

I've fought twice in Kickboxing (yellow belt), One win and One loss. The win was on points and the loss was via robbery. Put someone down 4 times, but lost cos i didn't throw enough kicks. They didn't like that a boxer beat a kickboxer, i never liked throwing kicks bar the front kick. My dad pulled me, said it was time for me to box which was always the plan.

From a Boxing POV: Never got to have a AM fight sadly, 4 fights scheduled, 2 i showed up for and one got called off as kid from Epsom and Ewell's trainers saw me on pads and said no (he was a novice in every sense of the word, i don't blame them), and the other was in Dagenham and myself and others were told ''18 bouts, no more i want to get home tonight''. Sparred hundreds of rounds though as a youngbuck.

Sparred a former national schoolboys champion, now pro i believe. One of the Corcoran's from Stowe. He was a couple of years older, lot taller but didn't really impress me. He spent most of the time running around the massive ring, or should i say floor . Kid had a decent jab, but i backed him up and worked away to body. They had me wear shocking gloves with padding all over gaff.

I was to spar Lenny Daws, he was to move me around as a 13 year old. Sadly never happened i have no clue why looking back cos he agreed to but doesn't matter. Would of cherished that moment though, but least i can say i trained with him . At end of my time at Rosehill i'd train Monday, Wednesday and odd Sunday with seniors and Tuesday and Thursdays with Juniors. A few pro's i trained with at that time.

A few years back i went with a guy i met who was in boxing, he took me to the gym and watched me on pads with a former pro, and on the bags and said after 'turn pro, i'll manage you''. I did think about it, but when he told me cos i wouldn't sell tickets i'd be fighting away ie. a Journeyman i thought no i'm not being mugged off.

He still asks me now and then ''you can say you were a pro!''. I must admit if things don't work for me in next few years as a coach i may well go pro. I'm 23 now not 18 and i feel more mature and ready physically to fight professional. I spar my mate now and then.

Out side of boxing i coach football, i'm in process of opening my own talent academy. I hope to go on my UEFA B in next year or so and work in a academy with a full time role.

Better coach then player, i once played in a Charity game alongside Alan Pardew and came on for Rocky Marshall from Holby City .
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #21
lordgore
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1176

Done a bit of kickboxing when i was much,much younger, never competed though, was for fun.
Was an absolute menace in the egg and spoon race at primary school.
And if fishing is to be considered a sport ( I don't really see it as such, unless you're nothing but a match angler )
then yeah, I'm good. ( Good as in, I know how to tie knots, make up various rigs, know my baits etc etc)
lordgore is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #22
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1031

I once caught Michael Vaughan (former England Captain) out in a charity match, in my role as non bowling tailender.

Boxing wise, after having a couple of junior fights, I gave up when I found out your opponent is allowed to hit back, and it hurts!
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #23
LP_1985
JMM beat Pac-Man 3 Times
East Side VIP

Location: Vicente Carrillo Fuentes Organization HQ, Home of Team Mexico
vCash: 75

I've nut-megged northern Ireland international footballer Josh McQuoid in six a side

Last edited by LP_1985; 07-22-2012 at 12:01 PM.
LP_1985 is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #24
CornishWarrior
Journeyman

played football for my county at school level, i also used to be able to run before i found the pub and fags
CornishWarrior is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #25
btahthezone
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Only played football as a young buck, played for wolves youth team along with ashley hemmings and Jamie Reckord who have played for first team in recent years. I just wasnt that good of the opinion of them.

Played semi professional since 18 racking up bout 4 teams, Heath Town Rangers, Chasetown, Bilston and Cradley Town playing in the FA Cup fouth Qualifying round. Only play sunday league at moment cause lack the drive anymore even though i'm 23.

Thinking of taking up boxing just to see if i am any decent to be honest plus fitness will be good for me
btahthezone is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #26
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1323

I ran the 100m in 12 seconds dead at the age of 12. By the time I was 16 I could only do it in 14 seconds... Dunno what happened there tbh. I'm even slower now! I genuinely believe I was in my physical prime at 12 years old.
Smudger is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #27
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I got one of them "effort" medals at sports day at school.

I played a bit of rugby as a kid, and was pretty good (as good as you can be from playing it for 6 months and not knowing the rules). I was the only average sized fella who could take down the big lads.
HeavyT is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #28
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I genuinely don't think I had the potential to be a top class sportsman, but sometimes I see other people playing at a decent level and wished I'd have carried on at whatever level I could.

Too late now like, with a busted shoulder and dodgy knees.

It's weird when I watch rugby league now, I've played against at least one person in nearly all the Super League teams, and played with Lee Smith, Scott Murrell and Carl Ablett for Leeds schools.

Ablett I never rated, played against him at 14 and dominated him, then we played alonside each other once for the schools. I did OK ish, he had a shocker and I never saw him for four years.

Went to Leeds vs whoever at Headingley and the youth team was playing in the pre-match build up, as they did every week. Guess who was playing?

Carl ****ing Ablett

He's gone far beyond the level that I reckoned he was capable of, fair play to him I guess.

Another lad called Luke Milner was the best player I played against. Shame he cracked bones in his neck, could have been anything.

I played the best game of my life against him and was destroyed.... Marquez vs Katsidis esque
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #29
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1449

Won the egg and spoon race back in P4.
Manning is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #30
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

45 odd amateur fights , lost about 12 ....
20 pro fights, lost 7
Fought for three titles, and in prizefighter ...

Shared the ring with about 20 fighters to hold British, comm, euro or world titles.

Came back after a 5 year break with mixed success...

Currently training in submission grappling (prob best way to describe it) with a view to fighting in MMA in the coming 12 months.

Shit at football, shit at cricket, shit at tennis, shit at golf... Just reasonably good at punching people.
brown bomber is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum