Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Was Ali-Foreman Fixed?
Yes 10 8.33%
No 91 75.83%
Probably 7 5.83%
Probably Not 12 10.00%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 09:24 AM   #121
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,499
vCash: 4120
Default Re: The Fix In The Jungle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend X View Post
Does anyone know anything much about Dick Saddler and if he was known to be crooked ?

He seems to be an interesting character and pivotal in this story of Foreman being doped.
He's only know as 1 of d dirtiest fighters of all times . Nothing crooked at all about him . Well , that and doping Foreman in Zaire , and telling him 2 dehydrate pre fight , and telling him 2 stay down . And a few more things , probably , but y do u care about it ?


anyway , cheating in fight is cheating in life , and any1 who hires a cheater deserves what Foreman got . Hiring that cheater cost Foreman lots of money , respect and depression . I wonder if he knew what a cheater Saddler was as a fighter .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2012, 09:31 AM   #122
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,499
vCash: 4120
Default Re: The Fix In The Jungle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
Here are some audio clips of Foreman talking about Saddler and Zaire.

1. He talks about a post-fight phone conversation he had with Ali about a rematch. He says Ali insisted he use Saddler or no fight.

2. He talks about the water.

3. He says that when Ali knocked him down he started to get up. Saddler yelled "Wait, wait. You're always supposed to look to your corner".

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


very good job
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #123
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Posts: 2,378
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Fix In The Jungle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
He's only know as 1 of d dirtiest fighters of all times . Nothing crooked at all about him . Well , that and doping Foreman in Zaire , and telling him 2 dehydrate pre fight , and telling him 2 stay down . And a few more things , probably , but y do u care about it ?


anyway , cheating in fight is cheating in life , and any1 who hires a cheater deserves what Foreman got . Hiring that cheater cost Foreman lots of money , respect and depression . I wonder if he knew what a cheater Saddler was as a fighter .
Surely that was a different Saddler.
Legend X is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #124
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,499
vCash: 4120
Default Re: The Fix In The Jungle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend X View Post
Surely that was a different Saddler.
i really wondered how sandy = dick . not d same 1 really .

quote from boxrec : [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Quote:

In an early 1980s column by The Los Angeles Times sports columnist Jim Murray, which was syndicated throughout the United States, Sadler claimed to have rode the rails out to the West Coast during the mid-1930s. While there his train stopped in Spokane, and he first started working with fighters. Sadler would tell Murray that the first fighter he worked with was Tiger Jack Fox.
It should be noted that research of the Spokane newspaper, the Spokesman-Review, has not uncovered any mention of Sadler working with Fox in Spokane. Fox's trainer during the 1930s was Billy Nelson.
So did Saddler have connections 2d maffia as well ?
after all he "helped" 2 "train" Liston , Ali & Wright as well .
don't know a thing about Charlie Shipes and never read a thing about him but does that also reflect on Freddie Little on which i only know he was a 154 lber ?
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #125
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Posts: 2,378
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Fix In The Jungle?

He was described as Liston's manager in the late 1960s.
Legend X is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #126
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 798
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Fix In The Jungle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
i really wondered how sandy = dick . not d same 1 really .

quote from boxrec : [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

So did Saddler have connections 2d maffia as well ?
after all he "helped" 2 "train" Liston , Ali & Wright as well .
don't know a thing about Charlie Shipes and never read a thing about him but does that also reflect on Freddie Little on which i only know he was a 154 lber ?
Saddler managed Liston the last few years of Liston's life. I'm sure there was no Mafia involvement
BillB is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #127
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,704
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Fix In The Jungle?

Sonny was 'disconnected' from the 'main hoodlum scene' after 1965.

He was part of the Las Vegas 'inside crew' from 1966 and on.

Davey Pearl was also Sonny's 'manager of record' in 1969 and 1970.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #128
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,275
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Fix In The Jungle?

Dick Sadler was also a pianist of no mean skill. Okay,it's not really relevant,but just as meaningful as some of the bollocks that's coming out on this thread
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:40 AM   #129
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,704
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Fix In The Jungle?

Didn't Muhammad Ali hire a 'witch doctor woman' in Zaire, to sap the stength of George Foreman.

I think she was related to 'Stepin Fetchit'

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #130
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,275
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Fix In The Jungle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Pepe' View Post
Didn't Muhammad Ali hire a 'witch doctor woman' in Zaire, to sap the stength of George Foreman.

I think she was related to 'Stepin Fetchit'

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I've heard nothing of that,Pepe. What I do remember reading was that Jean-Pierre Coopman was approached by a Puerto Rican witch who told him that she could summon up the ghosts of her country's legendary generals and they'd fight Muhammad Ali alongside him. Coopman refused the offer. No doubt he felt that the champagne he was necking during the inter round breaks would be more of a constructive help. At least he got beaten up with a smile on his face.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 11:55 AM   #131
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 798
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Fix In The Jungle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Pepe' View Post
Sonny was 'disconnected' from the 'main hoodlum scene' after 1965.

He was part of the Las Vegas 'inside crew' from 1966 and on.

Davey Pearl was also Sonny's 'manager of record' in 1969 and 1970.
Liston was very close friends with Ashe Resnick during his Las Vegas years.
Resnick owned the Thunderbird and was a part of the New York Mob.

Actually, his relationship with Resnick dated back farther than that. Resnick may have been involved in the Clay fixes.
BillB is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #132
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,704
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Fix In The Jungle?

Sonny Liston and Ashe Resnick 'partnered up' in 1963.

It was during the Floyd Patterson II fight, as Sonny used the Thunderbird Hotel
as a 'secondary training camp' and 'hoodlum meeting area'.

Some say, Ashe was 'brought in' took take control of Sonny, who was behaving very badly in 1963 and early-1964.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #133
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 798
vCash: 500
Default Re: The Fix In The Jungle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Pepe' View Post
Sonny Liston and Ashe Resnick 'partnered up' in 1963.

It was during the Floyd Patterson II fight, as Sonny used the Thunderbird Hotel
as a 'secondary training camp' and 'hoodlum meeting area'.

Some say, Ashe was 'brought in' took take control of Sonny, who was behaving very badly in 1963 and early-1964.

We may have a solid link from the Clay fixes all the way to Zaire.

Liston- Resnick- Saddler. If such a link existed, Ali was the perpetual beneficiary of it.

Was Elijah Muhammad or Farrakhan connected to the mob?

Last edited by BillB; 07-24-2012 at 01:05 PM.
BillB is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #134
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: All up in Djibouti
Posts: 11,180
vCash: 79
Default Re: The Fix In The Jungle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlered View Post
sadly, stranger things have actually happened in boxing.
+1
Rock0052 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:40 PM   #135
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London,England
Posts: 9,275
vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Fix In The Jungle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
We may have a solid link from the Clay fixes all the way to Zaire.

Liston- Resnick- Saddler. If such a link existed, Ali was the perpetual beneficiary of it.

Was Elijah Muhammad or Farakkhan connected to the mob?

Only The NOI.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013