Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #92
Saintpat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Leonard humiliating Duran in round 7 of their second fight

Leonard, in his book, credits brother Roger for coming up with the idea to taunt and showboat -- saying it would strip Duran's machismo and he wouldn't know how to deal with it.

I say it's more simple than that -- check out Duran with 9 seconds to go in the 15th round of their first fight. He sticks out his chin, taps on it and then shoots a jab. Then he hops around to run out the clock with his thumbs stuck in his waistband.

Just basic payback.

If Leonard didn't like it in the first fight, he should have done something about it. If Duran didn't like it in the second fight, he should have done something about it.
Saintpat is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #93
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

'Chicken a la Leonard'

The punches I hit Roberto Duran with, couldn't break an egg.

I'm not a puncher, I'm a pecker.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by Senor Pepe'; 07-23-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:49 PM   #94
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintpat View Post
Leonard, in his book, credits brother Roger for coming up with the idea to taunt and showboat -- saying it would strip Duran's machismo and he wouldn't know how to deal with it.

I say it's more simple than that -- check out Duran with 9 seconds to go in the 15th round of their first fight. He sticks out his chin, taps on it and then shoots a jab. Then he hops around to run out the clock with his thumbs stuck in his waistband.

Just basic payback.

If Leonard didn't like it in the first fight, he should have done something about it. If Duran didn't like it in the second fight, he should have done something about it.
This. I'm kinda shocked no one remembers Duran tanking round 15 showboating. It wasn't some psychological ploy by Leonard. It was revenge.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #95
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by suriamarsuli View Post
I'm just asserting that Duran's size disadvantage was blown out of proportions most of the time.It must be weird that this "former lightweight" quote was used when Duran was fighting Hagler and Leonard,but no one bothered to mentioned that Leonard was a "former welterweight" fighting Marvin Hagler.
Leonard deserves credit for that. So Does Duran. Hagler didnt dominate either guy.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #96
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post

Let's recap. Duran had excuses for Leonard II and Hearns(somewhat). Were there any excuses for Kirkland Laing, Benitez, or Hagler?
Benitez was a great fighter and he just outboxed Duran. As far as the Hagler fight I think Duran gets respect for fighting him that tough and close. Hearns is always gonna beat Duran at 154lbs.

Kirkland Laing? I think it was pretty obvious that Duran wasnt in shape or focused that night. He beat better fighters before and after that.

Alot of fighters or fans come up with excuses after a big loss. Leonard and his fans will tell you that he only lost to Duran because he had the wrong strategy.

Thats just the nature of boxing.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #97
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
For once, I disagree with you, Senor Pepe'.

Duran had done numerous low-rent things toward Leonard (& Ray's wife), FIRST, so Ray was merely paying him back-- in the language Duran best understood. Leonard DID want to humiliate the guy. It also worked strategically, as it was the obvious reason that Duran quit. Forget about the alleged cramps and the other excuses, Ray Arcel already corrected that on the ABC broadcast of the fight, saying Duran had not complained of cramps at all during the fight. He was being humiliated and wasn't able to do anything about it, as Leonard was having an easy night every round.

I'd admit Duran was not as sharp or as conditioned as for the first fight, but he has only himself to blame. Meantime, Leonard became a 10% better fighter, at least, than he was in Montreal.

I thus disagree also with an earlier post by someone else who said that no one thought anything of Leonard's 7th-round antics. It was a big deal to the audience in the Superdome (just listen to the crowd reaction), and to many of us watching at home, and it was written about everywhere the next day.

In fact, I don't recall anyone criticizing Leonard for doing it, although Cosell said on the air, as did Larry Holmes on the CC call, that Leonard better not continue to do that, for his own safety.
Why does everyone act like SRL was dominating this fight? He was up by 2 & 1 on the cards, I had him up a point....This gets way over blown like Duran had not landed...It was a competitive fight...Why Duran quit???? I will leave that to everyone else to figure out, as I have not been convinced by any of the theories.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #98
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Roberto Duran had his money, so what happened in the ring was 'secondary'.

The fight was close, but Ray Leonard was ahead.

I'd say, that Roberto Duran knew that he really hadn't trained that hard for this bout,
and didn't want to fight in the 'cat-and-mouse' style that Ray Leonard was dictating.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #99
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
Why does everyone act like SRL was dominating this fight? He was up by 2 & 1 on the cards, I had him up a point....This gets way over blown like Duran had not landed...It was a competitive fight...Why Duran quit???? I will leave that to everyone else to figure out, as I have not been convinced by any of the theories.
Good points.

If Duran was actually being being up or dominated it would make more sense as to why he would quit. Leonard never hurt him or put any significant damage on him in either fight.

If Duran was just a bully why did he come out for the second round against Tommy Hearns? He knew he what was coming. Duran was a warrior.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2012, 09:25 PM   #100
Ali_
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post

Because he absolutely was.

Duran has close to zero highlights in that entire fight, whereas Sugar has several every round.

Duran lands almost NOTHING flush the entire fight. Where as Sugar was stinging him noticeably once or twice every single round and clearly pulled away after the 3rd round.

Because Duran was tough, he didn't seem to be wearing the whelps, but he was absolutely getting his ass handed to him.

Which should be completely evident and clue you in......because.

after.. all.......

Duran.. DID QUIT.

If you have to wonder why, you should find another sport to talk about, or just admit you are a Duran fanboy and call it a day.
Ali_ is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 AM   #101
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If Leonard was dominating Duran that much it wouldn't have been so bad.

This 'fight' gets talked about way too much.
It was a joke.
Duran was a disgrace, and he pocketed millions of dollars ( was it $8 million ? A record purse at the time) ....

.... Leonard, it wasn't his fault. But let's not pretend it was a glorious victory or the greatest performance. Perhaps Leonard was robbed of the chance to show what he could do.

It's really a terrible fight and a low point in boxing history, it's not far behind Mike Tyson's "Holyfield bite fight" on the list of most shameful boxing events put on the paying public.
Legend X is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #102
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend X View Post

.... Leonard, it wasn't his fault. But let's not pretend it was a glorious victory or the greatest performance. Perhaps Leonard was robbed of the chance to show what he could do.
Good point. Leonard got the win but was also robbed in a way as much as the fans were.
ETM is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum