boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #16
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DwlsCgTevc[/ame]
scrap is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #17
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByMsebyE8_0[/ame]
scrap is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 AM   #18
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If you notice, the ***** are not fully filled. That is important, it adds to the instability of the movement, great for the Corr, and Shoulders.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 01:14 PM   #19
MURDR
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam-bam View Post
How would you suggest doing these? Heavy deads, heavy squats and lighter bench press? Or light for all of them and lots of reps? 80% or my 1RM. Just curious as I will throw it in a circuit with some body weight stuff too when I'm doing my conditioning.
Different people will tell you different things. I like doing them all heavy with chains.
MURDR is offline  Top
Old 07-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #20
bam-bam
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by withoutwire View Post
Warm up first then 3 sets of 5 with as much weight as you can on each. If you do more reps than 5 you're emphasizing size, not strength, obviously not ideal for boxing.
Cheers mate spot on. I'm looking twice a week at adding some weights to get my strength up. Cardio is coming along really well, and I've neglected strength.

Thanks again.
bam-bam is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #21
Jakemilo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Add some power cleans too we start with these after warm do 5 reps then long jumps 3 sets then bench press and bent over rows again max 5 reps and 3 sets
Jakemilo is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #22
kasabian19
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Olympic lifts.

Make sure to lift explosively if you decide to lift weights.
kasabian19 is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 02:12 AM   #23
rodney
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi_90 View Post
What kind of exercises can I do to increase my power some more? I have decent power as it is, but I want to increase my power even more if possible.
Punching power is not about exercises.
Its about good coaching.
Practice and technique.
rodney is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #24
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodney View Post
Punching power is not about exercises.
Its about good coaching.
Practice and technique.
At a glance you are right, on a second glance you are not.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #25
TVLPC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s**** View Post
At a glance you are right, on a second glance you are not.
Elaborate s****. By the way, love what you are giving us!
TVLPC is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #26
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVLPC View Post
Elaborate s****. By the way, love what you are giving us!
Its about Training the Bodys CNS to adapt and perform movement in Balance, which Takes the performing of Exercise. Yes, Coaching, Practice and Technique is important. But you can achieve the Skills, by things that you would not associate, with Boxing as such. Multi joint Exercises, Proprioceptive routines. Power and Skills come from correct Posture, Balance. Heres something with the proper ideas, and a lot of Stretching, makes the Body work as it should. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tzr_2xUEZ0&feature=g-user-u[/ame]
scrap is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #27
Scorpion
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Its about Training the Bodys CNS to adapt and perform movement in Balance, which Takes the performing of Exercise. Yes, Coaching, Practice and Technique is important. But you can achieve the Skills, by things that you would not associate, with Boxing as such. Multi joint Exercises, Proprioceptive routines. Power and Skills come from correct Posture, Balance. Heres something with the proper ideas, and a lot of Stretching, makes the Body work as it should. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
...So what kind of training do you recommend for increasing explosive powerÉ
Scorpion is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #28
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Its about Training the Bodys CNS to adapt and perform movement in Balance, which Takes the performing of Exercise. Yes, Coaching, Practice and Technique is important. But you can achieve the Skills, by things that you would not associate, with Boxing as such. Multi joint Exercises, Proprioceptive routines. Power and Skills come from correct Posture, Balance. Heres something with the proper ideas, and a lot of Stretching, makes the Body work as it should. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
That's true that the body needs to balanced and working correctly biomechanically but then you also need to increase the stiffness and strength of the muscle-tendon units to improve power. Stretching makes you weaker, your tendons are like a rubber band and stretching just produces more slack resulting in less power when they snap back. You need to stretch sometimes obviously, but no more than you do strengthening exercises. Active range of motion is different than passive range of motion (which is what you're typically doing when you stretch, not helpful for performance) and most muscle tears occur at only 20% greater than resting muscle length.
The best exercise for power is undoubtedly one of the many plyometric exercises you can do, plyometrics increase your rate of force production which is what you want as a boxer more so than max strength. Plyometrics are explosive and you can mimic a punch in boxing using plyometric exercises.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2012, 05:42 AM   #29
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Dealt With, I have found over the years Dynamic Stretching is the way to go. Okay I wont put them up on here, believe me I have had some very good Teachers, and hopefully they have evolved my thinking. Stretching is important to repair the damage the Eyes do. Without it Balance is lost, injuries occur it Happens. I work with lots of influential people in Sports Science, I have to admit 15 years ago they were scratching there Heads. Now they are taking it on Board, thats why 2 major Sports university's are doing major studies at the moment. Touch wood never had a failure yet. Tendons got some lovely stuff thats been developed at this time.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #30
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 700

Just keep it simple mate. Just do plyometric exercises. He's an Amateur is he not?
OZ Puncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing