Old 07-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #16
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Trinidad vs. Norris at JMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBumboclart View Post
Sure he had some fundamentals but his only game-plan was to set up the left hook, and he had the stamina and size to do it. However like I said - as soon as someone took his power and left away from him (Jones, De La Hoya, Hopkins) he lacked seriously.

So being a bit one-dimensional (your assertion) makes you a street fighter?

Setting yourself up to land your best shots: Isn't this the plan of every fighter?

Just because you get nullified by guys who did the same thing to just about everyone else they fought doesn't make you a glorified street fighter; it just puts you below that fighter in terms of stylistic matchups.
DaveK is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #17
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post

Setting yourself up to land your best shots: Isn't this the plan of every fighter?

Just because you get nullified by guys who did the same thing to just about everyone else they fought doesn't make you a glorified street fighter; it just puts you below that fighter in terms of stylistic matchups.
Only retards base opinions of great fighters ob fundementals...Tito was the total package and Norris wouldnt have made it outa the 3rd round
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #18
Goyourownway
Insanity enthusiast
ESB Senior Member

Location: Challenging you and pushing your body to it's full limit

When was Trinidad ever a one handed puncher? The man threw a beautiful right cross.Equally dangerous in both hands.

Norris has the capability of soundly outboxing him,but whether he's durable and disciplined enough is another story.
Goyourownway is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #19
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

Tito's right hand was a beautiful punch.He threw it better than he did his left imo...generally less telegraphed.
lora is offline  Top
Old 07-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #20
FlyingFrenchman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Both had good power, Norris was well conditioned but Trinidad was a little better conditioned IMO, neither had granite chins, Norris was faster and more elusive.

Norris was 47-6 (31) overall and 19-4 (14) in World Title Fights when he defended his JMW World title vs. Keith Mullings. Norris had been stopped twice... once by Julian Jackson LKOby2 and once by Simon Brown, LKOby4. Julian Jackson could knock any dick in the dirt with one punch, Norris got better after this fight, no doubt. Brown landed a perfectly placed shot on Norris and got a big win, Norris won a clear decision over Brown in their rematch.

Three of the losses were by DQ... LDQ1 Joe Walker and two DQs to Luis Santana who did an acting job on the level of Gregory Peck both times, LDQ5 and LDQ3. He stopped Santana in 2 rounds in their 3rd fight. His first loss was a close decision to Derrick Kelly in his 13th fight.

Norris lost to Jackson in July of 1989. He had already beat Quincy Taylor W10, Gilbert Baptiste W10, Seve Little KO6, and Buster Drayton W12 but had yet to peak IMO. After Jackson he won 15 in a row (10 by KO) including wins over Jorge Vaca W10, John Mugabi KO1, Ray Leonard W12, Donald Curry KO8, Jorge Castro W12, Carl Daniels KO9, Meldrick Taylor KO4, and Maurice Blocker KO2 (Trinidad did the same to Blocker 4 months later) among others. Norris also beat Paul Vaden W12 and Vincent Pettway KO8.

At almost 5'10" Norris was just a little shorter than Trinidad with a slightly shorter reach. They were both strong at JMW.

Trinidad was a WW World Champ before winning a World Title at JMW. He beat the likes of Blocker, Anthony Stephens KO10, Camacho W12, Campas KO4, Carr KO8, and Sweet Pea W12. He was clearly outboxed by DeLaHoya but got the win anyway.

At JMW he beat David Reid W12 and Fernando Vargas KO12 before moving up to MW. At this point Trinidad had been down 6 or 7 times but was still undefeated (despite the DeLaHoya fight).

Trinidad 2000 vs. Norris 1991-92? I'll take Norris by late round KO but it's a great fight prior to the stoppage.
FlyingFrenchman is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 12:50 AM   #21
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goyourownway View Post
When was Trinidad ever a one handed puncher?

Never.

Felix Trinidad was always a two handed threat. He even had an underated jab. If a guy came at him he was able to use that jab to set up either hand. His punching technique was nice.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #22
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Terry has a good chance of taking a points win with his quickness and skill, but he would have to be careful.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 06:42 AM   #23
MrBumboclart
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:

He was a one dimensional puncher. Now while that may work against an old Pernell Whitaker or overrated William Joppy...or Vargas. It didn't work against skilled pros who know how to take away your strengths like them I've already mentioned. I'm not putting Norris in the same catagory of those who beat Felix but he sure as hell would give him trouble because of his speed, angles, movement and strength e.c.t.
MrBumboclart is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #24
Bonecrusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrenchman View Post
Brown landed a perfectly placed shot on Norris and got a big win.
Brown destroyed Norris in the first fight, the first knock down in round 1 was from a jab if memory serves, I'd have to pull out the old VHS tape to confirm but I'm about 98% sure... It was not just one perfect punch, Brown absolutely trashed Norris that night, it wasn't close..

However Terry did box circles around him in the rematch..

Julian Jackson on the other hand ended Norris's night with one punch after Norris was having his way with him in round one..

Last edited by Bonecrusher; 07-26-2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: typo
Bonecrusher is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #25
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

It was a jab indeed. Just watched that fight the other night. Brown whipped that ass and hurt him continuously until the KO...
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 07-26-2012, 10:28 PM   #26
Bonecrusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 136

Quote:
It was a jab indeed. Just watched that fight the other night. Brown whipped that ass and hurt him continuously until the KO...
Yeah that's what I remember as well..

I just don't think Terry has the beard to stay with TITO..

Terry liked to mix it up a little to much, that would be his demise vs Tito..

Trinidad is a heavier puncher then Brown, not to mention much more active..

Like I said earlier Norris would have to box a masterpiece..

I don't see it happening...
Bonecrusher is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #27
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You can box and move against Trinidad. That is the best way to fight him. You gotta have speed and movement. Norris has both.

You also have to have a good chin because Trinidad is still gonna hit you. He hit Hopkins and he hit DelaHoya. Both of those guys took a good shot. Norris didnt.

Thats probably gonna be his downfall over the distance.

I wouldnt say he couldnt win if he fought the perfect fight but the most likley scenario is that Tito catches him.

Last edited by ETM; 07-28-2012 at 12:27 AM.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2012, 02:04 AM   #28
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Prime v Prime it's a very good fight but maybe Tito due to a better chin.

I'd be rooting for Terry tho
kel is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2012, 02:55 AM   #29
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Tito KO.

Also, Winky would rank above Norris and Jackson at 154 for me. Arguably Benvenuti too. And both would beat the Norris and Jackson IMO.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2012, 03:15 AM   #30
Xplosive
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Tito KO.

Also, Winky would rank above Norris and Jackson at 154 for me. Arguably Benvenuti too. And both would beat the Norris and Jackson IMO.
Norris would have beaten the crap outta Wright.
Xplosive is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum