boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #31
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 906
vCash: 675
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by withoutwire View Post
Have you tried weight training? Eg squats, deadlifts and bench press
I'm not sold on the bench presses, but the others are a must.
How much and how many would you focus on with bench press?

Also, what plyo drills would you guys recommend?
JDK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #32
donizhere
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,009
vCash: 75
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

Bench press is good for pushing your opponents off you and man handling them.
donizhere is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #33
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Charlie Zelenoffs Xmas card list
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 700
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

If you are an amateur boxer there is almost 95% chance you will never literally KO someone. You may cause a stoppage but that is it, work much more on your technique and keep on top of your fitness and speed. That will win fights alot more than punching power.
OZ Puncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #34
El Puma
between rage and serenity
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Between the Alpha and the Omega
Posts: 2,154
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

For ****s sake at some of these responses....


Plyo pushups. Explosive jumping body weight squats. Clean and jerks. That's it.

***** to balance on... lol Really?
El Puma is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:07 AM   #35
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Charlie Zelenoffs Xmas card list
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 700
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Puma View Post
For ****s sake at some of these responses....


Plyo pushups. Explosive jumping body weight squats. Clean and jerks. That's it.

***** to balance on... lol Really?
I know Puma this **** is rediculous.

"Oh you want to be a better boxer? Weights training man... Lots of it."

OZ Puncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #36
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 906
vCash: 675
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

Fair enough. I've never been a fan of weights at all. I'm trying to expand a little and understand where others are coming from.
JDK is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:41 AM   #37
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Charlie Zelenoffs Xmas card list
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 700
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK View Post
Fair enough. I've never been a fan of weights at all. I'm trying to expand a little and understand where others are coming from.
They usually just see professional boxers do it and think they must do it.

Under normal circumstances an Amateur boxer should never need to use weights.
OZ Puncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #38
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,694
vCash: 75
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

For a lighter amateur I suggest Sprints - 20, 50 , 100. Various medicine ball throws and slams. Squat jumps. Plyo pushups (watch the wrists).

Though explosive power i hear comes from stability, then strength then power. So don't try take shortcuts to power
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:38 AM   #39
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,757
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURDR View Post
Different people will tell you different things. I like doing them all heavy with chains.
Why Chains. .
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:41 AM   #40
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,757
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Puma View Post
For ****s sake at some of these responses....


Plyo pushups. Explosive jumping body weight squats. Clean and jerks. That's it.

***** to balance on... lol Really?
Teaches control of the Oral Cavity
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 06:44 AM   #41
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,757
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donizhere View Post
Bench press is good for pushing your opponents off you and man handling them.
You dont Push them, you turn them
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #42
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,272
vCash: 500
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Puncher View Post
If you are an amateur boxer there is almost 95% chance you will never literally KO someone. You may cause a stoppage but that is it, work much more on your technique and keep on top of your fitness and speed. That will win fights alot more than punching power.
You don't think strength training is a part of fitness? Enjoy being mediocre. Punching power makes a big difference these days and it will be more important when the headgear comes off and the new scoring is introduced. Nobody is going to suggest to lift weights instead of improving boxing skills, you should do both. Get your head out of the sand.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #43
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Charlie Zelenoffs Xmas card list
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 700
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
You don't think strength training is a part of fitness? Enjoy being mediocre. Punching power makes a big difference these days and it will be more important when the headgear comes off and the new scoring is introduced. Nobody is going to suggest to lift weights instead of improving boxing skills, you should do both. Get your head out of the sand.
Sorry mate but I don't subscribe to the theory that you need to do weights to become an absolute powerhouse in Amateurs. No champion in the Ams has ever been the most powerful puncher. Especially not in the divisions below Super Middle. You are a muppet if you believe the Amateurs is anything but technical skill. As an example in the 2012 Australian Boxing Nationals, only 6-7 bouts were won on Stoppage.

But please for the record are you a State of National Champion? What weight division and what is your record?
OZ Puncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #44
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,272
vCash: 500
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Puncher View Post
Sorry mate but I don't subscribe to the theory that you need to do weights to become an absolute powerhouse in Amateurs. No champion in the Ams has ever been the most powerful puncher. Especially not in the divisions below Super Middle. You are a muppet if you believe the Amateurs is anything but technical skill. As an example in the 2012 Australian Boxing Nationals, only 6-7 bouts were won on Stoppage.

But please for the record are you a State of National Champion? What weight division and what is your record?
Australian boxing, that explains your point of view. Go watch the Ukrainian fighters and get back to me.
Also there is no super middle division in amateur boxing, quit talking out of your ass.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #45
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Charlie Zelenoffs Xmas card list
Posts: 1,104
vCash: 700
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Australian boxing, that explains your point of view. Go watch the Ukrainian fighters and get back to me.
Also there is no super middle division in amateur boxing, quit talking out of your ass.
So I'll take it you aren't a National Champ then?

My mistake Light Heavy. I'm not talking about Ukrainian fighters. This may be a shock, but unless you are a national champion, you aren't going to fight other fighters from outside your own country. So once again, have you got your own experience to add to this or only what you have seen?
OZ Puncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015