Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #46
withoutwire
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 568
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Puncher View Post
If you are an amateur boxer there is almost 95% chance you will never literally KO someone. You may cause a stoppage but that is it, work much more on your technique and keep on top of your fitness and speed. That will win fights alot more than punching power.
Lol.

Punching power isn't all about KO'ing people. If you have more power you can keep your opponent scared and on the back foot. This opens up more opportunities and your feints work lot better. If your punching power isn't respected your opponent will simply walk through you.

You think technique is more important? I agree, and that's great. But hey, listen to this mindblowing information: you can train both technique and strength. Amazing, isn't it?
withoutwire is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #47
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Exercises to increase explosive power for punching in boxing? Any examples?

Quote:
Sorry mate but I don't subscribe to the theory that you need to do weights to become an absolute powerhouse in Amateurs. No champion in the Ams has ever been the most powerful puncher. Especially not in the divisions below Super Middle. You are a muppet if you believe the Amateurs is anything but technical skill. As an example in the 2012 Australian Boxing Nationals, only 6-7 bouts were won on Stoppage.

But please for the record are you a State of National Champion? What weight division and what is your record?
Here is the Ukrainian middleweight who is also the world champ:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACTjyyc_0O0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACTjyyc_0O0[/ame]

Have a look at the final in Beijing at the 57kg division, Ukrainian amateur and p4p best Vasyl Lomachenko.

These guys lift weights. The Russian team lifts weights, the Great Britain team lifts weights. Even your Australian team lifts weights.

You're an idiot, as I tried to explain before you don't do one or the other. Boxing skills and experience count for everything, to say that weights are a waste of time shows that you are clueless. Top amateurs train more than most pros do, you need to stfu and learn
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #48
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
So I'll take it you aren't a National Champ then?

My mistake Light Heavy. I'm not talking about Ukrainian fighters. This may be a shock, but unless you are a national champion, you aren't going to fight other fighters from outside your own country. So once again, have you got your own experience to add to this or only what you have seen?
Please explain to me what relevance my experience has to the FACT that top amateurs in every country lift weights?
What's your experience, beating your dick off in a pub while watching Danny Green? What colour is your wife's panties?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2012, 06:58 AM   #49
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Have a look at the final in Beijing at the 57kg division, Ukrainian amateur and p4p best Vasyl Lomachenko.

These guys lift weights. The Russian team lifts weights, the Great Britain team lifts weights. Even your Australian team lifts weights.

You're an idiot, as I tried to explain before you don't do one or the other. Boxing skills and experience count for everything, to say that weights are a waste of time shows that you are clueless. Top amateurs train more than most pros do, you need to stfu and learn
Don't believe I ever said that weights are a waste of time. All I said was that in the Ams, technique is more important than trying to improve you power. If you are the point in your Am career where you can do little to no more with technique than by all means go for gold. But as I have mentioned often, you don't NEED weights to increase your power. You can increase your power with Plyometric exercises.

You mean the "Amateur" boxers who have scholarships and sponsorships and are enrolled in the best boxing programs, lift weights with tremendous results? Yes of course they do. Top Amateurs train as much as pros and if not more? Yes of course they do, they fight more often and at a much higher pace.

Maybe you should read my posts you muppet...
OZ Puncher is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 07:02 AM   #50
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Please explain to me what relevance my experience has to the FACT that top amateurs in every country lift weights?
What's your experience, beating your dick off in a pub while watching Danny Green? What colour is your wife's panties?

Righto mate. Danny Green is a ****ing wanker who is overrated by complete morons who have never boxed or watched boxing for enjoyment instead of watching whatever of their Countrymen is fighting retards.

My point was, that **** all will make it to the top tier of Amateur Boxing. Those who do, are picked up and enrolled in Programs to make them better etc.

I literally wasn't having a go at you I'm not a National or State Champion. I was just curious if you were or what your boxing record was.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:07 AM   #51
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Don't believe I ever said that weights are a waste of time. All I said was that in the Ams, technique is more important than trying to improve you power. If you are the point in your Am career where you can do little to no more with technique than by all means go for gold. But as I have mentioned often, you don't NEED weights to increase your power. You can increase your power with Plyometric exercises.

You mean the "Amateur" boxers who have scholarships and sponsorships and are enrolled in the best boxing programs, lift weights with tremendous results? Yes of course they do. Top Amateurs train as much as pros and if not more? Yes of course they do, they fight more often and at a much higher pace.

Maybe you should read my posts you muppet...
So your rationale is that only the best boxers should worry about improving their fitness? Okay then..........
To get the most from plyometric exercises you need to improve your strength, that's a fact. I'm sorry that you're allergic to weights but don't ruin it for others
I've said all along that technique is the most important thing and that it's not one or the other. Are you alright in the head mate?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #52
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Righto mate. Danny Green is a ****ing wanker who is overrated by complete morons who have never boxed or watched boxing for enjoyment instead of watching whatever of their Countrymen is fighting retards.

My point was, that **** all will make it to the top tier of Amateur Boxing. Those who do, are picked up and enrolled in Programs to make them better etc.

I literally wasn't having a go at you I'm not a National or State Champion. I was just curious if you were or what your boxing record was.
Again I don't understand what point you're trying to make. Are you actually saying that you shouldn't worry about improving your fitness UNTIL you get picked up by a talent program?
Why not use some of the training methods in those elite programs to help out boxers who aren't at the elite level?
I really don't understand your logic.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #53
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
So your rationale is that only the best boxers should worry about improving their fitness? Okay then..........
To get the most from plyometric exercises you need to improve your strength, that's a fact. I'm sorry that you're allergic to weights but don't ruin it for others
I've said all along that technique is the most important thing and that it's not one or the other. Are you alright in the head mate?
What the **** are you reading? None of my posts have said only the top boxers should improve their fitness...

All I said was that Plyometrics are just as good for increasing power.

Allergic to weights? After I quit boxing I was playing Rugby League so did alot of weights training for strength. I am a massive advocate for Powerlifting and the Olympic Lifts. I just don't understand why everyone wants to have massive power but neglect some crucial aspects like technique and agility.

Of course you can do them alongside each other, when did I say you can't?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #54
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
What the **** are you reading? None of my posts have said only the top boxers should improve their fitness...

Allergic to weights? After I quit boxing I was playing Rugby League so did alot of weights training for strength. I am a massive advocate for Powerlifting and the Olympic Lifts. I just don't understand why everyone wants to have massive power but neglect some crucial aspects like technique and agility.

Go back and read your posts, you were telling people not to worry about lifting weights. Getting stronger is a part of improving fitness. And again when has anyone ever said to neglect technique and agility? YOU were the only one implying one or the other. Back in your box.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:25 AM   #55
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:

Thats a great fight. Cardio Conditioning of these amateurs are unreal.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #56
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Go back and read your posts, you were telling people not to worry about lifting weights. Getting stronger is a part of improving fitness. And again when has anyone ever said to neglect technique and agility? YOU were the only one implying one or the other. Back in your box.
I said Plyometric exercises. And that most people shouldn't need to lift weights. Didn't tell anyone not to.

I just believe Technique should take preference over trying to get stronger. IMO Technique, Fitness and Speed/Agility should be emphasized. And if you want to incorporate weights training into your regular fitness routine, go ahead. It's a ****ing internet forum where opinions vary. My opinion varied from yours, and you have since gone out of your way to whinge about it, going off on your own tangent to make out I said that noone should exercise....
Old 07-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #57
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
Thats a great fight. Cardio Conditioning of these amateurs are unreal.
Yes it was an absolute *******. In the opening round the fighter in Blue seemed to have much crisper shots landing, and looked to me to be in charge of the fight. Round 2 the Red fighter got alot more of the combos and shots, and that left hook that ended it was ****ing ace.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #58
El Puma
between rage and serenity
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
I know Puma this shit is rediculous.

"Oh you want to be a better boxer? Weights training man... Lots of it."

"..with chains"
El Puma is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #59
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:

I agree with this. Anyone who walks in first day throwing around dead lifts and doing clean and jerks are into the wrong sport. Coaches won't like it. Strength training is usually taken on down the road when some experience is gained, technique, cardio and weight classes have been sorted out. you hardly see a novice amateur worrying with weights. why? because there much more important things he should be working on
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #60
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:

Oral stability won the Day
scrap is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing