Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 07-28-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885
Default Silva vs Maia

Just rewatched the fight today and was curious if Anderson Silva ever fully explained why he fought the way he did. I got the impression he was just treating Maia with total disdain but originally put it down to not wanting to beat up a countryman but Vic said he actually hated Maia. but why didn't he beat him up much worse if that was the case even if he didn't want to knock him out quickly.

IF someone can explain why it'd be appreciated

also is that documentary about him any good?
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #2
WATERBOY
I Worship Steven Tucker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Silva vs Maia

Just a bad performance imo
WATERBOY is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

He doesn't like to fight agaisnt Brazilians and thinks it's disrectfull for a Brazilian to want to fight him. He put on the same show against Leites which is too bad considering he easily could have finished every opponent he's had in the UFC.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #4
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATERBOY View Post
Just a bad performance imo

For the first two rounds, Silva was absolutely brilliant.

Some of the way through the third, he just suddenly stopped trying and started clowning.

I'd also really like to know why AS did this. It wasn't a poor performance by ANY stretch of the imagination up til that point. Bizarre.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post

For the first two rounds, Silva was absolutely brilliant.

Some of the way through the third, he just suddenly stopped trying and started clowning.

I'd also really like to know why AS did this. It wasn't a poor performance by ANY stretch of the imagination up til that point. Bizarre.
This is what I mean for the first two rounds he's clowning but beating maia up. Breaking his nose hurting him several times. Then halfway through the third he just stops engaging starts running and just being bizarre. He actually clowns more at the beginning when he's landing.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
afterglow
Contender
ESB Senior Member

A year or two before the fight, Maia was asked about fighting Anderson, and he said something like this....

"They call him Spider. And a spider has eight legs. And I would like to take one of them home with me."

That is sorta what he said, if I remember correctly.
afterglow is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

We probably need Vic to weigh in on this.

I don't know if I've been told correctly, but someone told me that bjj used to be taught only to upper class people, because they were the only people that could afford the lessons.

I've heard that a lot of the animosity Silva had towards Maia has to do with Maia growing up sort of a rich kid, and Silva growing up poor. Someone told me that is what was behind the insult Silva repeatedly yelled at Maia during the fight. Something along the lines of "pretty boy" or "play boy" or whatever it was.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Cheers rek that's really interesting. Yeah I was hopinh vic would get involved but didn't know if there was some well know explanation for andersons behaviour. I remember watching it being absolutely baffled
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #9
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
Cheers rek that's really interesting. Yeah I was hopinh vic would get involved but didn't know if there was some well know explanation for andersons behaviour. I remember watching it being absolutely baffled
Thanks, but all of that information was through a friend that was through a friend...
All of this may, or may not, be so. I don't want to come across as someone that is in the know.

Once Vic gets wind of this thread we could learn more.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 07-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

It's funny how much Anderson hated Maia, considering Maia is easily one of the nicest and most respectful guys in the sport.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #11
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

The sense of patriotism of brazilians makes trash talk before the fight between two brazilians a bit different than the normal......generally becomes a greater rivalry.
Is like "wow, you´re brazilian too, we are supposed to be allies" you know....looks a bit silly perhaps, but it is like that...
Is more understandable when a non-brazilian fighter acts with trash talk against a brazilian.....

Maia said some light trash before the fight, something like "Yeah, a spider has 8 legs I´ll just pull out them".....
AS thought things like this were a bit disrespectful especially because he trained with Demian before and everything... he expected a more respectful conduct by Maia .....

After the fight Silva said that he tried to frustrate Demian´s game with those provocations but he also said that if Demian said he would submit him he deserved it, he was a bit mad at the time too then....

And this sense of patriotism by the brazilians also made AS hated after this, because people wondered "Why he did that to a good kid like Damian and not with Sonnen (first fight) who acted much more disrespectfully ?"

But he never gave a detailed explanation about the thing, simply said he was mad with Maia and also tried to frustrate him....Wouldn´t surprise me if they had some kind of beef we don´t know.....since AS devide opinions between his former training mates...especially now, like Pelé showed in that thread I posted here before...

Last edited by Vic-JofreBRASIL; 07-29-2012 at 12:27 AM.
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #12
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
We probably need Vic to weigh in on this.

I don't know if I've been told correctly, but someone told me that bjj used to be taught only to upper class people, because they were the only people that could afford the lessons.

I've heard that a lot of the animosity Silva had towards Maia has to do with Maia growing up sort of a rich kid, and Silva growing up poor. Someone told me that is what was behind the insult Silva repeatedly yelled at Maia during the fight. Something along the lines of "pretty boy" or "play boy" or whatever it was.
Yeah, Playboy is the rich kid....BJJ was a thing for the more wealthy people before.....and even today some people think about jiu-jitsu fighters as playboys in Brazil.....
Old 07-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #13
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
It's funny how much Anderson hated Maia, considering Maia is easily one of the nicest and most respectful guys in the sport.
One man's nice and respectful guy can easily be another's smug, self-serving *******. It's all relative and subjective.

Many people think Jon Jones is an arrogant *****. I disagree.

Many people think Rashad Evans is a warm, great character. I disagree.

There are no universally nice, respectful guys. If Maia did say that thing about pulling the spider's legs out, then he isn't whiter than white, and could easily be perceived as disrespectful by some.
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 07-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #14
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
One man's nice and respectful guy can easily be another's smug, self-serving *******. It's all relative and subjective.

Many people think Jon Jones is an arrogant *****. I disagree.

Many people think Rashad Evans is a warm, great character. I disagree.

There are no universally nice, respectful guys. If Maia did say that thing about pulling the spider's legs out, then he isn't whiter than white, and could easily be perceived as disrespectful by some.
Yeah, and Demian definitely said this about the "spider´s legs" before the fight....I remember perfectly about this...
Old 07-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #15
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

That is such minor trash talk.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum