boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
SugarShane_24
ESB good-looking member
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Doug Fisher's insight on Donaire and Rigondauex.

Taken from his latest mailbag, this is just a portion of the fan mail and Doug's reply.

(the fan...)
Finally, when are the writers going to start mentioning that Nonito Donaire is obviously ducking Guillermo Rigondeaux? I could go through shooting down all of Donaire’s (and some boxing writers) excuses, but this cat does a great job of that in this video and the ensuing commentary, which I agree with (with the exception of his assessment of Rico Ramos):

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

The fight with Jorge Arce is a money move, because it’s not at all competitive. Arce’s style is ready made for Donaire to look good against. Bottom line, you can’t fight unknown cats (i.e., Mathebula), fight cats basically coming off of KO loses (Vazquez Jr.), and then go the distance in your last 3 fights – and then claim that Rigondeaux does not have a name, has not fought anyone to deserve a shot, and is a boring fighter when he’s won his last 3 fights by KO.

Peace. – Steve

So what if Rigondeaux has won his last three bouts by KO? Who the hell is he knocking out? Am I supposed to kiss Rigondeaux’s ass because he blasted some popular Irish prospect? He knocked out Willie Casey, not a prime Wayne McCullough! And don’t get me started on Rico Ramos. That kid was just a prospect with a belt. I like Rico but he won that WBA strap with a lucky punch and you know it. Before he landed that Hail Mary hook he was getting schooled by a Japanese fighter nobody thought anything of. And Teon Kennedy is at best a fringe contender.
Now the Cuban southpaw is fighting ANOTHER prospect in Roberto Marroquin. Sorry Steve, I’m not going wet my pants with excitement if Rigondeaux blasts the limited Texan. Let me give you a little perspective here:
Your favorite fighter Allan Green looked like a cross between Thomas Hearns and Roy Jones Jr. when he fought prospects (see blowouts of Jaidon Codrington and Carlos De Leon Jr.). However, when the Okla-homie stepped up to world-class opposition… um, not so much.
Right now, Rigondeaux’s best pro victory is a split decision over Ricardo Cordoba.
Please pull back on the “ducking” accusations directed at Donaire. How can the “Filipino Flash” be avoiding Rigondeaux when he just stepped up to the 122-pound division in February? Prior to that fight (vs. Vazquez Jr.), Donaire weighed 116½ pounds for his bantamweight title defense against Omar Narvaez last October.
Rigondeaux turned pro at junior featherweight in May of 2009. Donaire was the reigning IBF flyweight titleholder at the time.
Steve, both of these guys are promoted by Top Rank. You know as well as I do that they will fight each other when Bob Arum is good and ready to make that fight. Don’t ask boxing writers to put pressure on Donaire. Ask your fellow fans to put pressure on Mr. Arum. (And I think you know what the old man will say to that: “Go f__k yourselves!”)
I agree that Arce is being “fed” to Donaire in hopes of boosting the Flash’s fan base but I also think the popular Mexican veteran is a lot better than most of the fighters Rigondeaux has faced. (And I should note that our good buddy Steve Kim over at MaxBoxing.com reports that Donaire-Arce is not a done deal for Oct. 20 and that TFF might wind up facing Toshiaki Nishioka. If he does fight the respected Japanese southpaw even you have to admit that Donaire’s level of comp at 122 pounds has been FAR superior to Ringondeaux’s.)
If Rigondeaux’s people want to get him bigger fights they are going to have to roll the dice and make some risky moves. If they want to make a case for a Donaire showdown they should try to shame the Filipino by fighting the last two guys who took him the distance (Mathebula and Vazquez) and knock those dudes the f__k out.
If they want “Rigo” to gain some measure of pound-for-pound recognition I think they should step him up to 126 pounds and challenge your dog Salido. I doubt that Mexican hardass will turn down a fight with the Cuban.

Interesting, and valid if you ask me.
SugarShane_24 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
DrMo
Team GB
East Side VIP

vCash: 122
Default Re: Doug Fisher's insight on Donaire and Rigondauex.

I read the top part, which seemed ok.

I ignored the bolded section after the 1st sentence & didnt read. Its clearly butt-hurt, tear-filled rambling nonsense written by an insecure moron.
DrMo is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
bronx
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1124

Doug Fisher "Ball Squisher"
bronx is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
ajackman1
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Doug Fischer an idiot. First off he saying Riogondeaux needs to improve his competition, didnt his dumb brain realize that why Rigondeaux is chasing Donaire. If Donaire can fight Mathebula there is no reason why he can't fight Rigondeaux.
ajackman1 is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
Slicknick56
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

agreed. people need to stop riding rido **** so much, thats a huge issue with boxing. Dont be surprised if that maroquin kid gives him a serious run for his money
Slicknick56 is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
pound
Coqui Radar
ESB Addict

Doug Fischer is a ****ing moron

The guy never seizes to amaze me with his stupidity

The guy just put a 2 time Olympic gold medalist and possibly the greatest amateur of all time, with supernatural boxing skills that NO ONE can deny, with ALLEN GREEN!!!

hahahahahahHAHAHAHA
pound is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
gyll
Undetectable
ESB Addict

This is about what the fans want. Majority of real boxing fans want Donaire vs. Rigo. That's all there is to it. It overrides any x's and o's and every other technical **** used by Donaire's fans to justify extending our wait. Rigo and Donaire are not getting younger. Both guys are around the age of 30. Stop talking about jumping out of weight class. Both are at 122 and are two of the most talented fighters there. After defeating Arce if ND continues to cherry-pick he is without a doubt avoiding tough competition which includes Rigo.
gyll is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
vCash: 827

I think Fisher makes good points, but I do think Rico Ramos is better than he's often given crdit for.
As it stands I'd pick Donaire over Rigondauex if the fight was made today.
ripcity is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #9
The Akbar One
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It's not Rigondeaux's fault Arum won't match him with better opposition. Maybe Arum is doing what Arum does, when one of his up and coming guys gets a scare, a la Rigondeaux getting knocked off balance by a jab against Cordoba. That being said Fisher conveniently leaves out that Cordoba was better than Vasquez Jr., Mathebula and the rest of Donaire's recent opposition.

Yeah Donaire is ducking Rigondeaux, but Arum has a little to do with that as well. Donaire acts like he himself has been fighting world beaters, which just isn't the case.
The Akbar One is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
Stevenson#1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2415

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post

I ignored the bolded section after the 1st sentence & didnt read. Its clearly butt-hurt, tear-filled rambling nonsense written by an insecure moron.
^ This
Stevenson#1 is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2012, 07:55 PM   #11
Eastcoast
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Rigondeaux vs Salido would be a great fight. I don't know who's picking his opponents right now, whether Arum or his management, but he does need some bigger names. Kenneday and Marroquin don't belong.
Eastcoast is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2012, 08:06 PM   #12
purephase
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Utter *******s as usual from Fischer. I particularly love his shock and outrage at being asked to say something critical about a promoter. Who would ever expect such a thing from a journalist?

Who are these big names and big risks that Rigondeaux is supposed to be chasing instead of Donaire? The only names he mentions are Vazquez, who has far better options at the moment, Mathebula, who constitutes neither a big name nor a big risk, and Salido, who has just as little reason to fight a lighter Rigondeaux than anyone at super bantam does. Furthermore the idea of Arum simply and easily making that fight when "he's good and ready" is bull**** since as everyone has seen before he'll in all likelihood never reach that state; he sure as hell didn't for Gamboa-Lopez.

Finally, gotta love the typical maxboxing circlejerk with hot info from Steve Kim that shockingly makes Top Rank look good. The Nishioka fight has been dangled in front of fans for over a year now as Top Rank has justified the undesirable mismatches they've been making for Donaire. I look forward to hearing how Nishioka's people are just so darn hard to work with, but don't worry fans, we'll be treated to an action fight from the warrior Arce instead
purephase is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #13
Kid Cubano
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMo View Post

this
Kid Cubano is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
Kid Cubano
Champion
East Side Guru

Talking like if Rigo is the one picking his opponents, the guy is screaming for a big name,anybody.And he gets Marroquin instead.
Rigo's natural wieght is 118, he step at 122 after bigger names.He's only 5.4.But he can easily beat anybody up to 126.
The problem is to find anybody with enough ***** to fight him.
Kid Cubano is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

Yes I agree somewhat. As hardcore boxing fans we often nominate the king of the who needs them club as the guy who should be net in line. We also generally overate untested fighters if we feel they are being ducked. So rigondauex is a prime candidate to be turned into a boxing massia by the hardcore. It think he's good but like Doug points out he could use some better comp. That being said Doug is a smart guy and this answer is well below his intelligence level. If you're Donaire and you basically say in an interview that you plan on having one or two fights before moving up (and there by basically by-passing most of the elite in the division, including rigo0) then you have to know you'll get **** on by the fans that care. Also Doug mentions that Rigo's comp is less then spectacular but fails to mention that as Rigo's promoter if Arum was in any way interested in making a match-up between these two he could easily match him against bigger nameed guys. Its not unheard of for a promoter to sign a guy only to put on him on the shelf in order to keep him away from a marketable star that promoter has in his stable.
o_money is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum