Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 07-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Bazzo

vCash: 500
Default 3ft bag in garden

Trying to get into training. Not competitively more for fun, fitness, self defence etc

Rather than just focus on cardio like I was doing thinking I would get my stamina up first I dug my old bag out. 3ft I think maybe 4ft quite sturdy been practising drills/form

In my garden I have a little room to manoeuvre so I don't focus on power so much as form. I can see my reflection in window just in line of vision so I kind of look through the bag. Where it isn't too long it swings around so I use that swinging to practice positions, hooks or just jabs to stop it

Question is againinmucg much? Does this small cheap bag in my garden still bring decent benefits? Am I gonna see muscle toning relevant for punching etc?

Thoughts or recommendations appreciated

Cheers
Bazzo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
Bazzo

Default Re: 3ft bag in garden

* am I gaining much, I meant
Bazzo is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Bazzo

* bump *

What went wrong with this thread? So many views so few (none) replies
Bazzo is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
CHAL_DIESEL
GOAT
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

What is the weight of the bag. To be honest any type of physical activity should yield some type of results. The thing is you don't want punching that bag to be your only physical activity.
CHAL_DIESEL is offline  Top
Old 07-24-2012, 02:46 PM   #5
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

A little more information about you would likely help a lot in giving any real advice.

Are you 5'10" 135 lbs. or are you 5'1" and 200 lbs.?

Are you looking for advice about bulking up or losing weight to be in better shape? Or are you just a normal guy looking to add some definition and muscle endurance?

Like CD mentioned, to get in any kind of shape, it will take more than just slapping a bag around in your garden. Skipping rope, jogging, body weight exercises, maybe a little strength training with weights along with your punching bag will get you there faster.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #6
Bazzo

About 5'11 and 162 pounds. Go to gym fairly regualrly but not much cardio. Been trying to get into a gym but wassitating thinking I need to up my cardio big time. But then I thought a few sessions on the bag a week will help while I get into cardio

I guess I'm wondering is the bag doing anything? Do I really need an expensive full length bag and all the bells and whisltes or is this lil bag doing something for now, me on my own in the garden you know? Feel a bit stupid out there on muuuah own neighbours looking out windows at the noise

Not sure how much it weights it's pretty heavy actually, its a struggle to hang it up any... tough lil bag
Bazzo is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I find heavy bag workouts are awesome for cardio. Great for aerobic and anaerobic exercise, strength and weight loss.
You'll definitely be sweating, out of breath and sore after even 15 minutes.
You should get an interval timer - or you can download a free app for phone or laptop so you can time your intervals with audible beeps. Going at a hard pace for 3 minutes at a time is definitely better than at a softer pace for 10 minutes.
I'm no expert, but it probably won't increase muscle size/tone by any noticeable degree.
Punching involves the coordination of your entire body. Therefore, any gains in muscular growth is spread out over a large group of muscles. You will be stronger than someone who works those same muscles in isolation, but they will probably look better at the beach.
So again, heavy bag workouts are one of the best things you can do for fitness & weight loss. You'll definitely look leaner & better proportioned.
But if you are looking to bulk up or improve muscle tone - then you should incorporate weights.

BTW - when you're new at this, the bag will swing a lot.
Try to work on speed. When you learn to punch faster (thru time), your punches will sound more like a "smack" than a "thud" and the bag should not be swinging wildly. Try to catch it on the back swing too i.e. punch against the swing.
Try to practice good form, keep your hands up and close to your chin. Don't punch with both arms at your waist. These bad habits are really hard to break once you start doing them.

Have fun!
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Bazzo

That's awesome thanks defo the kinda insight I was hoping for

Does swing alot and thud vs slap makes sense.... didn't know whether to try to stop the backswing either, whether to focus on power. Was thinking that the more swing the better I'm doing
Bazzo is offline  Top
Old 07-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzo View Post
That's awesome thanks defo the kinda insight I was hoping for

Does swing alot and thud vs slap makes sense.... didn't know whether to try to stop the backswing either, whether to focus on power. Was thinking that the more swing the better I'm doing

A good bit of the swing kind of depends on the weight of the bag you are hitting. Naturally, if it weighs 50 lbs., it will swing more than a 100 lb. bag. And like Speechless said, a lot of swing can be taken out with proper form.

If you find the bag is swinging too much, see if you can turn it into a double end bag where it is secured to the ground in some fashion. If it is light, that will help limit the swing.

Google Manny Pacquaio heavy bag workout and see how it is done. The bag does swing away from him mostly when he is hitting very hard and following it as it rises. Most times it just jolts with not much swing.

The video I pulled up showed a 90-100 lb. bag with a ring on the bottom that can be used to anchor it to the floor to limit the swing if so desired.

Last edited by gumbo2176; 07-31-2012 at 06:39 PM.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing