Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #91
jdempsey85
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1032
Default Re: best boxing books and why

I Fought Them All: The Life and Ring Battles of Prize-fighting Legend Tom Sharkey

Anybody read this??
jdempsey85 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #92
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

just got 'Babyface goes to Hollywood'. read the first few chapters, looks promising. Anyone else read this?
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #93
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I've read Pollack's In the Ring with Jeffries and Fitzsimmons. Got the John L book arriving tomorrow. I imagine I will get around to Hart and Burns, but maybe after the Jack Johnson book, which is hopefully released soon...

Oh, and they ****ing fantastic. I think people tend to think of them as dispassionate or not developing the personality of the pugilists. I would contend quite the opposite. Those contemporary reports reveal so much more than a decades later regurgitation of 10th hand stories and apocryphal threads...
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #94
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
I've read Pollack's In the Ring with Jeffries and Fitzsimmons. Got the John L book arriving tomorrow. I imagine I will get around to Hart and Burns, but maybe after the Jack Johnson book, which is hopefully released soon...

Oh, and they ****ing fantastic. I think people tend to think of them as dispassionate or not developing the personality of the pugilists. I would contend quite the opposite. Those contemporary reports reveal so much more than a decades later regurgitation of 10th hand stories and apocryphal threads...
Im only quoting you as your the only 1 here online. Have you read the 'babyface' book?

Its just that the author kinda threw me when he heavily hints that Greb, Tiger Flowers and (****,ive forgot the other name) were 'seen to' cos they wouldnt play ball with the Mob
Old 08-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #95
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdempsey85 View Post
I Fought Them All: The Life and Ring Battles of Prize-fighting Legend Tom Sharkey

Anybody read this??
Is it any good? Sharkey was a tough cunt. Theres a bar in Dundalk that has all Sharkey memorabellia on the wall
Old 08-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #96
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post

he grant is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #97
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmaff36 View Post
Im only quoting you as your the only 1 here online. Have you read the 'babyface' book?

Its just that the author kinda threw me when he heavily hints that Greb, Tiger Flowers and (****,ive forgot the other name) were 'seen to' cos they wouldnt play ball with the Mob
Never read it. Any good?
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #98
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
just got 'Babyface goes to Hollywood'. read the first few chapters, looks promising. Anyone else read this?
The title is misleading but the book takes you fight by fight, and avoids any major pitfalls. I really enjoyed it and learned a lot. Pretty dammed good.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 04:39 AM   #99
jdempsey85
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Is it any good? Sharkey was a tough cunt. Theres a bar in Dundalk that has all Sharkey memorabellia on the wall

No asking price 25.

Wanted to know if anybody has read it
Old 08-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #100
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdempsey85 View Post
No asking price 25.

Wanted to know if anybody has read it
I did. It's good. Smooth reading and lots of info. I'd already done a lot of research on him and that era, so in all honesty it didn't have too much for me as far as new info is concerned. But for those with only a perfunctory knowledge on Sharkey's career(the Boxrec rangers) it's definitely worthwhile.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #101
jdempsey85
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
I did. It's good. Smooth reading and lots of info. I'd already done a lot of research on him and that era, so in all honesty it didn't have too much for me as far as new info is concerned. But for those with only a perfunctory knowledge on Sharkey's career(the Boxrec rangers) it's definitely worthwhile.
Thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 02:17 AM   #102
BillyBomber
Journeyman

Hey guys anyone read Meldrick Taylor's autobio 2 Seconds From Glory? Is it any good, also any idea where I could buy a copy online?
BillyBomber is offline  Top
Old 08-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #103
Jon Saxon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I have read virtually every book in this thread and none of them (well besides maybe Dark Trade) even come close to this
[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Years-Locust-Murder-Mayhem-Boxing/dp/0224080261/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344242032&sr=1-1[/ame]

Look guys I know none of you know me on here and im just some random poster but trust me when I say I say you will NOT be able to put this book down.
It is the best boxing book bar none.

What a trully dark & seedy (but also amazing) story it is.
Jon Saxon is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 11:10 AM   #104
greglewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post

Hi
Thanks for that.
The Sharkey book has sold out in hardback but is now on Kindle if anyone is interested. (It's the same apart from the reference notes.)

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Fought-Them-All-Prizefighting-ebook/dp/B0098P9RZ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1353254935&sr=8-3&keywords=i+fought+them+all[/ame]
greglewis is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #105
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Saxon View Post
I have read virtually every book in this thread and none of them (well besides maybe Dark Trade) even come close to this
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Look guys I know none of you know me on here and im just some random poster but trust me when I say I say you will NOT be able to put this book down.
It is the best boxing book bar none.

What a trully dark & seedy (but also amazing) story it is.
That's quite an endorsement. I'll put it on my list.

I do remember when all that stuff went down, really weird. Seems like it would be good material for a book.
Seamus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum