Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-03-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Jump Rope Instead of Road Work?

Every time I run lately my right knee starts hurting after about 2 miles. I've never had this problem before whenever I ran. I tried changing running shoes, working on my running form, and wearing knee braces, but nothing seems to be helping. I'm not a big fan of running anyways, so I was wondering if there are any benefits to road work that can't be achieved through increased time jumping rope. (Sorry if this has been discussed before.)
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Jump Rope Instead of Road Work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand NOOBian View Post
Every time I run lately my right knee starts hurting after about 2 miles. I've never had this problem before whenever I ran. I tried changing running shoes, working on my running form, and wearing knee braces, but nothing seems to be helping. I'm not a big fan of running anyways, so I was wondering if there are any benefits to road work that can't be achieved through increased time jumping rope. (Sorry if this has been discussed before.)
A friend I once ran with had the same problem. There's two things that can affect your knees in a big way when running. Pronation and supination, and they can be corrected to a large degree with proper support in your running shoes. He was pronating when running, meaning his heel struck the ground mostly on the outside and he came off the front nearer the big toe. So, instead of the brunt of the stress being absorbed in a linear fashion, it was running diagonal across his foot. Supination is just the opposite, but has the same effect. Either condition puts stress on the joints and contributes to shin splints, ankle and knee pain.

Take a look at the soles of your older running shoes to see how they are wearing.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

^Thanks. I googled it when it first started happening and I guess it's a pretty common problem called "runner's knee". Just looked at my old running shoes and the soles look pretty evenly worn, so I'm not sure whether pronation or supination are the causes of my knee pain lol. I've been trying to land on my mid-foot when running recently cuz I heard that helps, but it hasn't so far. I run along a stream that has two tracks. One is just concrete and flat, and the one I use is cushioned but goes downhill and uphill every 500 m or so. I did notice that the pain usually starts when I'm slowly running downhill. Next time I run I'm gonna use the flat track to see if it still hurts, but I'm still curious if I can just jump rope instead and get the same or similar benefits.
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
biglemon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1945

I get the same problem mate, right pain in the azz.
biglemon is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #5
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I've got the opposite problem,running's not bad but skipping ****s my ankles up.
Essential that you get suitable running shoes though.There are stores that take an in depth look at what you need and what you're running style is.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 08-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
I've got the opposite problem,running's not bad but skipping ****s my ankles up.
Essential that you get suitable running shoes though.There are stores that take an in depth look at what you need and what you're running style is.
Just to add to this, bring your old shoes so they can see how you are striking the ground. They may see something you are not, if they are truly a store geared to runners and problems runners face.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
democritus2k

If you're a heel striker, try looking into forefoot/midfoot striking and see it helps with your knee problems.

Although, ease into the mileage a bit. Forefoot/midfoot running will give you a new set of injuries if your body is unaccustomed to it. These guys who abruptly change their running form eventually have issues with their plantar fascia, calf muscles / achilles tendon, and metatarsals.
democritus2k is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 11:24 PM   #8
democritus2k

Oops, just saw your other post.

In addition to using jump rope as your LISS workout, you could also add double unders and hill sprints for HIIT. That should cover the aerobic to anaerobic spectrum of conditioning.
democritus2k is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing