Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #16
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121
Default Re: Difference between an infighter, swarmer, and pressure fighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
JT was a rare hybrid, N. Brilliant counter puncher/infighter
Yup, one of the few excellent defensive infighters.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #17
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend X View Post
Pressure fighter and swarmer might be the same thing. I don't really like the term "swarmer". Sounds like bees to me.

Infighting is fighting at close quarters, close enough that they are touching one another.
dempsey and tyson = swarmer

marciano and fraizer = pressure

swarmers start off very very fast and end slow, pressure fighters more often than not start slow and finish very strong.
luke is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #18
luke
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

in fighter is mccallum
luke is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I've always categorised Tyson as a refined slugger. Explosive, fast starter, all about looking for the knockout and whacking with full force from the first bell.

By my own definition, which is highly subjective, a slugger is generally without:

- Steady pressure
- A retreating game
- Inside ability
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #20
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manassa View Post
I've always categorised Tyson as a refined slugger. Explosive, fast starter, all about looking for the knockout and whacking with full force from the first bell.

By my own definition, which is highly subjective, a slugger is generally without:

- Steady pressure
- A retreating game
- Inside ability
How are you, champion?

Manassa. Do me a favor mate. Go onto my Holmes-Spinks thread. Both fights are there in full, each in one segment. I'd like you to watch and score them, when you have time. Cheers.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #21
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
How are you, champion?

Manassa. Do me a favor mate. Go onto my Holmes-Spinks thread. Both fights are there in full, each in one segment. I'd like you to watch and score them, when you have time. Cheers.
Not bad, yourself? We haven't conversed much lately.

And I will do, although I was just logging off, so remind me in a day if I haven't posted already.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #22
VG_Addict
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1607

So, are you guys saying Tyson was one-dimensional?
VG_Addict is online now  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 09:03 PM   #23
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke View Post
dempsey and tyson = swarmer

marciano and fraizer = pressure

swarmers start off very very fast and end slow, pressure fighters more often than not start slow and finish very strong.
Isn't Marciano always on his max?
His workout was amazing.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 08-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #24
Lartize
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2468

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
My personal definitions:

Infighter: Some that is always trying to take the fight to the inside, then stay there and go to war. They may have good power or none, they may throw 20 punches a round or 60, the point is that they always want to fight it out up close and in the trenches and specialize in close range combat. Many also specialize in fighting rough and dirty, like a head that is constantly in the other guy's face, holding and hitting, etc.

For a recent example, see Wolak from the first Rodriguez-Wolak fight:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Swarmer: Someone who tries to overwhelm with activity. These are the guys that come at you throwing 100 punches a round with little to no let up. They have endless stamina, and with the exception of some of the best ones, many have no defense except the fact that their opponent is too busy and overwhelmed to respond effectively. Examples I tend to think of fitting into this category: Paul Williams, Antonio Margarito, the young Manny Pacquiao, etc.

Pressure: Pressure fighters break their opponent by hunting them down and forcing them on defense constantly. Pressure fighters stay close (although not always chest to chest) and keep the tempo going higher than the other guy can sustain it. If, for example, they're fighting an outfighter/boxer, a pressure fighter keeps cutting off the ring, so the outboxer can't get away just by moving and has to constantly throw and engage in order to keep from getting pounded on. Both doing that and being the mover burns up stamina and, when a fight isn't going the boxer's way, takes a mental toll as well.

(There used to be a short youtube clip that beautifully demonstrated my definition of a pressure fighter. It was taken from an overhead camera in Ali-Frazier I, and in it Ali tried to move away from Frazier by circling, but no matter which way Ali moved or how he tried to switch directions, Frazier was never more than a foot away from him, so Ali had to constantly be defending himself and watching for the attack from Frazier.)

Now 2 things should be obvious, first that these are just my personal opinions and definitions, and second, that there's a lot of room for overlap. For example, a swarmer is applying their own kind of pressure with their constant activity and aggressiveness, but not every pressure fighter is a swarmer. Chavez Sr. relies on pressuring his opponents, but he never came forward recklessly, and always picked his punches carefully and economically unless he had the other guy hurt and in trouble.

It's also true that some fighters will switch between different approaches as the situation calls for. To use the example of Chavez Sr again, when fighting an outboxer he would take a pressure approach. When fighting someone who wanted to fight him up close, then he would use the infighter approach, and there were few better at it in the history of the sport.

Thank you for typing this up, so I didn't have to. 100 points worth of Win for you.
Lartize is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum