Boxing News 24 Forum
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #16
babaluma
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Who currently should be higher on Atg List?Wilfred Benitez or Floyd Mayweather?

I think Benitez gets under rated due to his sudden dip in form following his lose to Hearns. If he had retired after that lose his stock would be much higher. The fact he beat Duran, Antonio Cervantes and Carlos Palomino speaks for itself. His loses to Hearns and Leonard I would actually rank higher than many of Mayweather's wins. The way he toyed with Maurice Hope to me shows the difference between a very good and a great fighter.

It is important to take into account Benitez's lack of conditioning and discipline, there are some horror stories in the excellent box The Black Lights about his famous lack of training and relentless partying. These traits certainly held him back when facing such well prepared athletes as SSL. Who knows how good he woudl have been with a bit more focus?

If we are comparing on pure skills and courage then Benitez wins a UD over 15 round and a SD over 12 rounds.
babaluma is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #17
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who currently should be higher on Atg List?Wilfred Benitez or Floyd Mayweather?

In terms of resume of wins you're comparing what

Mayweather: DLH, Castillo, Corrales, Cotto, Mosley, Judah, Marquez, G Hernandez, Hatton
Benitez: Duran, Palomino, Cervantes, Curry...then who? Weston?

Resume it's clearly Mayweather

If we're talking top end ability it's closer and in some ways similar. Although I'd say Mayweather is quicker with a better overall game and probably better conditioned
PowerPuncher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum