Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-07-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253
Default Lacking Imagination on my Offence

advice please, my coach has been trying to get me to work my offence and fighting forward and it's really odd to me. I always seem fine with fighting off my back foot countering of my oponents mistakes. Now that's what i do all the time, i lack a good offence to be the who presses the action.

its more like all i do is, jab, jab, jab, throw a combo but all i'm getting is air because my sparring partners always take steps back, circles well and counter back with a combo while the drill is not to counter but for me to keep going forward with punches to increase my volume of punches.
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202
Default Re: Lacking Imagination on my Offence

Cut off the ring while pawing with your jab and feinting. When they engage you just let your hands go and then do it again when they try to disengage. When you get them near the ropes PUMMEL THEM.

Use your pressure to create openings, then exploit them. Anticipate counters and counter them. That's what that pawing jab will do--draw right hands for you to counter.

And you can fight off the back foot moving forward.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #3
biglemon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1945

I was the same way my first couple times, I used to get battered with counter shots all the time lol, seriously shadowboxing is underated practice throwing different shots and combos and try to apply what you can in sparring.
biglemon is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
Big N Bad
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1p00pk View Post
advice please, my coach has been trying to get me to work my offence and fighting forward and it's really odd to me. I always seem fine with fighting off my back foot countering of my oponents mistakes. Now that's what i do all the time, i lack a good offence to be the who presses the action.

its more like all i do is, jab, jab, jab, throw a combo but all i'm getting is air because my sparring partners always take steps back, circles well and counter back with a combo while the drill is not to counter but for me to keep going forward with punches to increase my volume of punches.
advice. ur coach prob wants you to take more control of the fight, thats why i think he wants you to press the action a bit more rather than getting bullied around the ring.

watch aggressive fighters, look at the combos they throw. they normally come of the jab.
also to fight going forward takes skill, improve your defense. anticipate how, lets use tyson as an example- counters the jab, the right hand etc.

alot of guys who like to stalk their opponent are aggressive counter punchers who attack of their opponents punches.
Big N Bad is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

It is really just a matter of controlling distance. Sam Langford, I believe, said something to the effect that he came close, feinted, to make the other guy lead, then countered. If he wouldn't lead, he'd run him out of the ring. What ever you do, it would be unwise to ignore or neglect the ability or the frame of mind that makes you able to be successful counterpunching. Because that is the basis of the whole sport; every good fighter is a good counter-puncher.
But that doesn't mean that you need to throw punches, just to be throwing, just to be "in control." That gives the opponent chances to counter you. You can press the fight with your feet, by pressing, or changing angles, to draw punches, or by feinting. And you can feint with your feet, knees, head, shoulders, hands, etc...
Buddy McGirt, before his shoulder imploded, could be very effective at pushing a fight while not risking much. Olivares, despite his rep as an awesome puncher was very clever in the ring. Alberto Davila was good at being cautious while pushing forward.
Just for the sake of information, and (probably) my poor memory, how tall are you, and are you a southpaw?
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 08-09-2012, 03:47 AM   #6
Vidic
Rest in Peace Manny
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Try to apply intelligent pressure.

Come forward and busy your opponent with your jab, a rage-finder is ok but make sure you don't get countered over it, feint with it, feint a few different punches to get him on the backfoot

Keep his mind occupied, if he is constantly thinking about your jab he may not be fully concentrating on his footwork

make him think he has openings to throw with you coming forward, and when he tries, punish him. LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of head movement is ESSENTIAL when coming foward.

There are 3 places your head can be while jabbing while coming forward

Left - Centre - Right

You then have low left, high left etc

Slip left and throw your jab, slip to the centre and throw it, slip right but DON'T throw it, and so on and so forth, never leave your head in the same place when coming in and throwing (or coming in at all, but it's rarely advisable to come in without jabbing or feinting, it's a good way to get hit)

This should keep you from being hit and help you dictate what is happening, you can still counter-punch him coming forward, pressure him into throwing first, then counter

When you work him into a corner you can flurry if you choose but this isn't always necessary, you can pick your shots if you prefer and feel that gives you more control, just be sure to capitalise on this moments
Vidic is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
r1p00pk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
It is really just a matter of controlling distance. Sam Langford, I believe, said something to the effect that he came close, feinted, to make the other guy lead, then countered. If he wouldn't lead, he'd run him out of the ring. What ever you do, it would be unwise to ignore or neglect the ability or the frame of mind that makes you able to be successful counterpunching. Because that is the basis of the whole sport; every good fighter is a good counter-puncher.
But that doesn't mean that you need to throw punches, just to be throwing, just to be "in control." That gives the opponent chances to counter you. You can press the fight with your feet, by pressing, or changing angles, to draw punches, or by feinting. And you can feint with your feet, knees, head, shoulders, hands, etc...
Buddy McGirt, before his shoulder imploded, could be very effective at pushing a fight while not risking much. Olivares, despite his rep as an awesome puncher was very clever in the ring. Alberto Davila was good at being cautious while pushing forward.
Just for the sake of information, and (probably) my poor memory, how tall are you, and are you a southpaw?
I'm 5 6 and a half to 5 7' orthodox. I appreciate the replies guys working on it! Keep them comming. I'll be trying to put in intelligent pressure by using my jab.
r1p00pk is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #8
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
Great Post Greys
scrap is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing