Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-10-2012, 03:38 AM   #1
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Knee hurting after running.

Hi, as the title suggests my right knee has started giving me aggro after running. I've been doing interval sprints over the past couple of weeks and had to stop and start cycling. Does anyone suffer from the same thing? It's not excruciating just very very uncomfortable.
det is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2012, 03:52 AM   #2
MidnightMindz

vCash: 500
Default Re: Knee hurting after running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by det View Post
Hi, as the title suggests my right knee has started giving me aggro after running. I've been doing interval sprints over the past couple of weeks and had to stop and start cycling. Does anyone suffer from the same thing? It's not excruciating just very very uncomfortable.
I've done quite a bit of running. I'm fast but I've got big legs and I feel it in my knee joints sometimes. My advice is, if it's hurting hours after the run, you should get plenty of sleep, maybe ice it, and tone down or stop the running for a day or two. If it occurs just during runs then the best advice is stretch well and just push on through, because that will strengthen the leg and eventually the uncomfortable feeling in the knee will subside or not be nearly as big a bother.
MidnightMindz is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #3
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

tbh it hurst pretty much all the time. I play football twice a week, which probably doesn't help. Do you reckon it's worth going to a doctor? Its frustrating as its stopping me from exercising at the intensity that i'd like to!!
det is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
MidnightMindz

Quote:
tbh it hurst pretty much all the time. I play football twice a week, which probably doesn't help. Do you reckon it's worth going to a doctor? Its frustrating as its stopping me from exercising at the intensity that i'd like to!!
Did you bang it or twist it anywhere? Did it start hurting spontaneously during running or did it build gradually? How long has it been hurting for and has it got better at all, and if so at what rate?

It may even come down to too much physical activity throughout the day. Although a good athletes body can typically take quite the beating.
Although sometimes this stuff can happen regardless of who you are, and your body can give you a much better idea of what it needs than I can.

I mean if you think it's serious check with a doctor. If you don't think it's necessary then rest for a few days. If you think you can keep running without seriously or permanently injuring yourself then do that.

Just make sure you sleep enough, eat enough, and stay just as strong, if not stronger mentally as you are physically.
MidnightMindz is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #5
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

It's been like it for a while now, was running on the roads up until a few weeks ago, and switched to grass to soften the impact. Can't pin it down to a single moment i think it might be down to over exercising. Gona start cycling tomorrow, just not the same though!!!
det is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 05:14 AM   #6
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
It's been like it for a while now, was running on the roads up until a few weeks ago, and switched to grass to soften the impact. Can't pin it down to a single moment i think it might be down to over exercising. Gona start cycling tomorrow, just not the same though!!!
How old are you.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #7
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

31, only started training seriously a couple of years ago though. Before that it was just 5 a side a couple of times a week.
det is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #8
Brighton bomber
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I was plagued with a knee problem a few of years ago. Simply down to running too much and doing too much high impact training.

I have reduced the miles and now focus more on being faster at the shorter 5-10K distances instead of running half marathons.

I now always run with a knee support which seems to prevent the injury returning. But I don't put in anywhere near enough miles as I used to. Hell my long run 4 years ago was longer than my total weekly mileage now.

My advice is to get plenty of rest, even after the pain has gone give it a few weeks before running again and start of slowly and build back up to your previous mileage. Also get a knee support and wear it every time you run.
Brighton bomber is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 05:58 AM   #9
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

det is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 06:14 AM   #10
Vidic
Rest in Peace Manny
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Sort out your footwear. Improper footwear is often the cause of joint pain (knee especially)

Ensure you are running 'correctly'

Try seeing a physio, if it persists swimming is a great alternative
Vidic is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #11
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Thanks for the advice Vidic, what is meant by running correctly?
det is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #12
Vidic
Rest in Peace Manny
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

First and oremost make sure you stretch beforehand

Try to avoid running on concrete where possible, stick to grass and dirt trails. 'Crete doesn't absorb your shock, it passes it back up along your legs.

Try to run on a balanced surface also, jolts and shockes caused by uneven sufaces cause pain

Lastly try to run in straight lines where possible, sharp turns are often attributed to ankle problems
Vidic is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #13
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

det is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #14
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member