Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-10-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Cycling instead of running.

Hi, i mentioned in another thread i've had to stop running because i'm suffering with my right knee. I was doing sprints using the lines on a football pitch. Does anyone know of any cycling exercixes/drills over longer distances that I could use?

Thanks.
det is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 700
Default Re: Cycling instead of running.

Do the exact thing you do for running. A medium pace for 1 km, sprint for 500 m. Repeat till you get about 4-5 sprints in. Less stress on your joints in cycling. I'd also suggest swimming.
OZ Puncher is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 05:27 AM   #3
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Thanks Oz puncher, you don't happen to know if you benefit from it as much as you do with sprinting do you?
det is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by det View Post
Thanks Oz puncher, you don't happen to know if you benefit from it as much as you do with sprinting do you?
Not quite as much as you aren't having to support and propel your bodyweight, but cycling is still great exercise.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #5
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Nice1, probably give shadow boxing a try too. Been boxing for a couple of months now and my trainer says its one of the best workouts for technique, got some hand weights to make it a bit harder too. Do 3x 3 minute rounds, something like that?
det is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
Vidic
Rest in Peace Manny
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Hey buddy. I commute to work, and I'm gonna be honest cycling can effect your knee's too, though it is obviously infinitely less stressful than running.
Vidic is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
Vidic
Rest in Peace Manny
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Nice1, probably give shadow boxing a try too. Been boxing for a couple of months now and my trainer says its one of the best workouts for technique, got some hand weights to make it a bit harder too. Do 3x 3 minute rounds, something like that?
Yes, maybe leave the handweights until you have mastered your technique and balanance

Also skip for 3 minute rounds
Vidic is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #8
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Nice1, appreciate the advice.
det is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #9
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Puncher View Post
Do the exact thing you do for running. A medium pace for 1 km, sprint for 500 m. Repeat till you get about 4-5 sprints in. Less stress on your joints in cycling. I'd also suggest swimming.

Do you have designated bike paths in your area? If so, I'd suggest using them to get a consistent workout as opposed to riding on city streets and all the traffic. Where I live, I'm fortunate that our city is becoming more "bike friendly" and many bike paths are being constructed.

There is one on top of the levee of the Mississippi River that runs just under 24 miles of 10' wide blacktop. When I hit it, I try to keep my time just under 3 hours for an out and back ride of about 48 miles. That averages out to about 16 mph which isn't too bad considering I'm pushing 60, ride solo and have nobody to draft off of.

This type riding won't benefit you as much as sprint work to get your heart rate kicking in high gear, but it works for me and my bad knees and no desire to box at my age.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

We've got a watersports centre not far from where i live, with a 2.8km lake. Was thinking of cycling round that, do 500m sprint, 300 slow pace. etc.
det is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #11
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 700

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo2176 View Post
Do you have designated bike paths in your area? If so, I'd suggest using them to get a consistent workout as opposed to riding on city streets and all the traffic. Where I live, I'm fortunate that our city is becoming more "bike friendly" and many bike paths are being constructed.

There is one on top of the levee of the Mississippi River that runs just under 24 miles of 10' wide blacktop. When I hit it, I try to keep my time just under 3 hours for an out and back ride of about 48 miles. That averages out to about 16 mph which isn't too bad considering I'm pushing 60, ride solo and have nobody to draft off of.

This type riding won't benefit you as much as sprint work to get your heart rate kicking in high gear, but it works for me and my bad knees and no desire to box at my age.
I live in a town of 25000 people. So we don't have bike pathways.

I actually am a big advocate for swimming as well.
OZ Puncher is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I like swimming and always feel like ive done a really good workout. Only problem is my local baths is always overcrowded. Find myself weaving in and out of people all the time!!
det is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #13
elcasoshaun
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

After many years of distance running I've got ****ed-up achilles tendons so have had to transfer to mountain biking recently. I'm lucky that I live at the foot of a mountain range and can get out into the wilderness in 5 minutes. I feel that bike intervals/sprints/fartlek are actually superior to their running counterparts in terms of recovery etc (I did some brutal 500 metre uphill sprints a few hours ago and could do 'em again now, whereas the equivalent intensity running on the track and I couldn't dream of it) and I find it much easier to maintain/improve strength and mass with the cycling rather than the running.
elcasoshaun is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #14
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

It's pretty flat where i'm from unfortunalty, definetly gona give it a go tonight though Should be able to get a good workout round that lake.
det is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #15
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
It's pretty flat where i'm from unfortunalty, definetly gona give it a go tonight though Should be able to get a good workout round that lake.

Flat here in SE Louisiana too. I've heard friends say the lands so flat you can watch your dog run away for 2 days.

When I cycle, the only elevation workout I get is going up bridges over the many waterways our city has. The levee I ride the bike path on is flat but you are almost always guaranteed a headwind either going out or heading back in. Needless to say, I prefer it coming back as opposed to heading out.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing