Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 08-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #16
Will Cooling
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Heavyweights: All Time Top 10

The result wasn't overturned because the commission didn't have the power to do so then. It's purely a technicality.
Will Cooling is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #17
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Is Fedor the universal choice at #1?

Last edited by kel; 08-10-2012 at 05:33 PM.
kel is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 09:59 AM   #18
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Usually, but that is less often the rule that it once was.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #19
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekcutnevets View Post
Usually, but that is less often the rule that it once was.
In a pound for pound sense yes but at Heavyweight naw he has to be number one.

No other heavy has a case. JDS might in a few years.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I'm also starting to doubt my Werdum ranking. I'm starting to wonder if I'm factoring how good I think he has become recently as opposed to how much he has really done.

Werdum has a huge win over Fedor, but is that enough to carry him high on an all time great list?
Rek you're talking like Werdum has had one meaningful win in his career.

Here are 7:

Fedor
Aleks Emelianenko
Overeem
Bigfoot
Gonzaga(2)
Nelson

His win resume is either as good as those of Couture, Barnett and Crocop, or just behind them. You seriously think this win res is not worthy of even a top 10 place in the heavyweight division??
Kittikasem is offline  Top
Old 08-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
Rek you're talking like Werdum has had one meaningful win in his career.

Here are 7:

Fedor
Aleks Emelianenko
Overeem
Bigfoot
Gonzaga(2)
Nelson

His win resume is either as good as those of Couture, Barnett and Crocop, or just behind them. You seriously think this win res is not worthy of even a top 10 place in the heavyweight division??
Cro Cop is comfortably ahead: Herring, Vovchanchyn, Coleman, Randleman, Aleks Emelianenko, Barnett (3)

I can't comfortably put Werdum ahead of Rizzo, let alone Randy. Rizzo's wins stack up well with Werdum's. Ricco, Coleman, Barnett, Arlovski all compare well with Werdum.

Barnett is who he is closest to if you discount the Couture victory.

Werdum's record is just missing something for me. It is hard for me to pin point. I really like Werdum, but his resume just feels a fight shy of making me feel confident in ranking him very high. A win over Mir or Carwin would probably be enough for me to feel better about it. Why, I don't know. I would expect him to ko Mir early, and sub Carwin after he gasses. I guess I just need to see it before I can give him credit for being as good as think he is.

Fedor- one of the best wins ever

Aleks- good win

Overeem- good win, but Overeem loses almost every time he steps up in competition

Bigfoot- I didn't think Werdum won this fight

Gonzaga- solid wins, but not that big of a deal

Nelson- If he is anywhere near elite, this name should be in his win column. How many top fighters have lost to Nelson?
Old 08-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatmoronoCunt View Post
Lol at Cain Velasquez and JDS in the top 10.
Lol, you're not embarrassed to be you.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #23
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
How does your top 10 look like?
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 08-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #24
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
At heavyweight, yes he absolutely has to be. Two convincing wins over a prime version of the #2 heavyweight ever mean there can be no debate whatsoever on that question.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:14 AM   #25
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
Don't be silly. Cigano's hw record/resume are top 5 calibre, never mind just top 10.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #26
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Lol good enough even for your last current top 10 list though...
Quote:
Originally Posted by monarocountry View Post
1) fedor emelianenko
2) alistair overeem
3) josh barnett
4) fabricio werdum
5) antonio silva
6) junior dos santos
7) guram gugenishvili
8 ) shane del rosario
9) cain velasquez
10) daniel cormier
Lets see your ATG top 10 Morono...it will probably earn you some more free M1 tickets
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #27
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Cro Cop is comfortably ahead: Herring, Vovchanchyn, Coleman, Randleman, Aleks Emelianenko, Barnett (3)

I can't comfortably put Werdum ahead of Rizzo, let alone Randy. Rizzo's wins stack up well with Werdum's. Ricco, Coleman, Barnett, Arlovski all compare well with Werdum.

Barnett is who he is closest to if you discount the Couture victory.

Werdum's record is just missing something for me. It is hard for me to pin point. I really like Werdum, but his resume just feels a fight shy of making me feel confident in ranking him very high. A win over Mir or Carwin would probably be enough for me to feel better about it. Why, I don't know. I would expect him to ko Mir early, and sub Carwin after he gasses. I guess I just need to see it before I can give him credit for being as good as think he is.

Fedor- one of the best wins ever

Aleks- good win

Overeem- good win, but Overeem loses almost every time he steps up in competition

Bigfoot- I didn't think Werdum won this fight

Gonzaga- solid wins, but not that big of a deal

Nelson- If he is anywhere near elite, this name should be in his win column. How many top fighters have lost to Nelson?
You can go through almost anyone's record and do this sort of thing (could easily do it to Crocop's for example), but your reasoning does seem fair enough. I would also like to see Werdum defeat a top UFC guy such as Carwin, that would add something to his resume for sure.

The good thing about Werdum is, he's looking better than ever just now. Considering his size, his ground game, and his improving Muay Thai, I think he's one of the best and most dangerous fighters at heavyweight these days. If JDS beats Velasquez and Cormier beats Mir, I expect Cormier to get the next shot, so Werdum will probably be facing someone like Kongo or Struve or Browne or Hunt (seeing as Carwin is tied up with TUF), all of which I think he'd look great against. If Velasquez beats JDS, I'd expect a trilogy decider to take place, so you'd have to think Werdum would be Cormier's first fight in the UFC in the mean-time. Now that would be a seriously interesting fight. People would be quick to write Werdum off, but his kickboxing could be enough to match Cormier on the feet, and his ground game is superb. I'd love to see that, that would be where we could seriously assess how good Werdum is now.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #28
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittikasem View Post
You can go through almost anyone's record and do this sort of thing (could easily do it to Crocop's for example), but your reasoning does seem fair enough. I would also like to see Werdum defeat a top UFC guy such as Carwin, that would add something to his resume for sure.

The good thing about Werdum is, he's looking better than ever just now. Considering his size, his ground game, and his improving Muay Thai, I think he's one of the best and most dangerous fighters at heavyweight these days. If JDS beats Velasquez and Cormier beats Mir, I expect Cormier to get the next shot, so Werdum will probably be facing someone like Kongo or Struve or Browne or Hunt (seeing as Carwin is tied up with TUF), all of which I think he'd look great against. If Velasquez beats JDS, I'd expect a trilogy decider to take place, so you'd have to think Werdum would be Cormier's first fight in the UFC in the mean-time. Now that would be a seriously interesting fight. People would be quick to write Werdum off, but his kickboxing could be enough to match Cormier on the feet, and his ground game is superb. I'd love to see that, that would be where we could seriously assess how good Werdum is now.
Werdum going over to face Cormier is the fight I wanted to see. Instead we're getting Mir. It makes far less sense to me, because Mir isn't anywhere near a title shot. What's the upside if he finds a way to win? Cormier is definitely in line for a title shot, and Werdum is very near earning a shot himself. Why not let them decide who deserves it more?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #29
Kittikasem
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Werdum going over to face Cormier is the fight I wanted to see. Instead we're getting Mir. It makes far less sense to me, because Mir isn't anywhere near a title shot. What's the upside if he finds a way to win? Cormier is definitely in line for a title shot, and Werdum is very near earning a shot himself. Why not let them decide who deserves it more?
I don't understand that either. Mir has less than nothing for Cormier, boring formulaic predictable fight. The only plus point is that it saves Werdum for somewhere down the road. I really like Werdum, and if he is let loose on Struve or Kongo or Hunt or Browne, his status will only be enhanced by the time he fights one of the big three. The idiotic decision to give him Russow last time has set him back a bit I think, that was a completely pointless fight. I'd love to see Werdum dominating Hunt or Kongo so that his run and performances elevate him to legit contender status soon.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #30
Ne5ville14
Rationalist by default...
ESB Addict

I think they want Mir to retire soon !

Just joking....but yeah Werdum should be the one fighting Cormier !

Cause Nelson is no where near a title shot either !
Ne5ville14 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum