Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #1
SugarRayRobin
Journeyman

vCash: 1055
Default Not using hand wraps

How much damage can you do, if any, if you don't wrap your hands before training with the heavy bag? Thanks
SugarRayRobin is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
FloydPatterson
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 976
Default Re: Not using hand wraps

Go spend the money on wraps, you will most likely break, or do some serious damage to your hands the first time you hit the bag.
FloydPatterson is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
SugarRayRobin
Journeyman

vCash: 1055

Thanks for the advice! Good idea I think though, a while ago I went on the bag for the first time in ages and did something to my hand, lasted about a week but seems to have healed up now. Wonder if hand wraps would have prevented it, although it was a poor punch to be fair.
SugarRayRobin is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Without wraps, it's a lot easier to turn your wrist if you hit the bag wrong, especially left hooks if right handed. That injury will keep you off the bag a week or more depending on how severe you twist it.

It's just not worth the risk for what little money and time you have invested in wrapping your hands every time you work out on the bags.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

This will happen:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
democritus2k

Wrist sprains and hand fractures? Although, I've come across some old mofos who hit the heavybag with no wraps and no gloves, and they seemed fine.

I actually tried it once on a canvas heavybag, my hand got cut and developed a really nasty bacterial infection that lasted a month. That's some retarded shit.
democritus2k is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
markiepoop
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 650

I would advise you to put hand wraps on as a MUST...

In my case, i have brittle hands so if i punch the heavybag without handwraps my wrists would be all sore the next 2 weeks or so...
markiepoop is offline  Top
Old 08-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
Super_Fly_Sam
Aus Boxer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya View Post
This will happen:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
did that to the 5th metacarple on my left hand from a left hook to a bloody hard heavy bag we had.

big mistake!

the surgery, 4 weeks with wires in my hand, further 2 weeks of physio and the 2 months of not being able to use my hand were definately not worth it!!

make sure u wrap those hands!!!
Super_Fly_Sam is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

At one point in time, I would wrap my hands, put sponges under the wraps (on my right hand) and it would still swell up. The problems with my left hand never got to that point. Those problems occurred because i was not landing my punches properly, for a number of reasons. Once I corrected those issues, my hand problems went away.
I am not advocating not wrapping your hands or avoiding any other type of hand/wrist protection. What I am saying is this...You can wrap the hell out of your and wrists but you need to be able to close your fist tightly, and keep your wrist straight. Wrapping your hands incorrectly will prevent the former, trusting in your wraps to do the latter will hurt you.
Do exercises to strengthen your hands and wrists and forearms. Wrap your hands so that you can close a fist. Modern gloves suck, but that is what there is to work with.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 08-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #10
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
At one point in time, I would wrap my hands, put sponges under the wraps (on my right hand) and it would still swell up. The problems with my left hand never got to that point. Those problems occurred because i was not landing my punches properly, for a number of reasons. Once I corrected those issues, my hand problems went away.
I am not advocating not wrapping your hands or avoiding any other type of hand/wrist protection. What I am saying is this...You can wrap the hell out of your and wrists but you need to be able to close your fist tightly, and keep your wrist straight. Wrapping your hands incorrectly will prevent the former, trusting in your wraps to do the latter will hurt you.
Do exercises to strengthen your hands and wrists and forearms. Wrap your hands so that you can close a fist. Modern gloves suck, but that is what there is to work with.
What Greys says
scrap is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing