Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #1
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166
Default Sammy Mandell - an ATG ??

Well, he was the best LW of the world for a while, most of the people would say no, he isnīt an ATG.
But I wouldnīt have a problem with anyone calling him one.
Solid resume, good consistency.....tell me your opinion about Samuel Mandella.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

He is not too mentioned around here....letīs discuss his place on the boxing history.
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Sammy Mandell - an ATG ??

I rate him pretty highly. top 10 LW, great resume in the division: Kansas, McLarnin, Canzoneri, Petrolle, Terris, J Dundee, Bernstein (x2), McGraw, Seeman (x2), H Brown (x2) - Terris (D), Bernstein (D) - Goodrich (L), Singer (L). Spent 4 years as the best LW in the world.

Plus he beat Jackie Fields up at WW.

So yeah, definitely an ATG.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Wasn't he a Blackburn fighter?
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
WhyYouLittle
Stand Still
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
Wasn't he a Blackburn fighter?
Yes, I think so.

He sure was tricky. Had some big heads on the wall too Canzoneri, Mclarnin, Petrolle... He was kind of unlucky to peak between Benny Leonard's generation and Tony Canzoneri's (his style wasn't very appealing either. Not explosive like Mclarnin or poetic like Canzoneri. Not even textbook perfect like Ross's, which itself was kinda underappreciated for a good time). Other fighters from his generation, like Sid Terris and Jackie Fields, are highly praised by the ones who witnessed them and he was very dominant until Mclarnin showed up and spoiled the whole thing. As for the thread's question... I think he is an ATG. I have him somewher between 11-15. Not firmly though. We are talking about the LW division after all.
WhyYouLittle is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

I actually rank him above Tony who suffered quite a lot of defeats in the division as a prime fighter.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #6
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

I'll tell you something for nothing, you want an underrated Lightweight, you better check out Welsey Ramey.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
WhyYouLittle
Stand Still
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
I'll tell you something for nothing, you want an underrated Lightweight, you better check out Welsey Ramey.
Possibly the worst case of bad timing in the division. I don't know how the hell the guy managed to NOT hold a title. Maybe it was the funny name.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #8
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyYouLittle View Post
Possibly the worst case of bad timing in the division. I don't know how the hell the guy managed to NOT hold a title. Maybe it was the funny name.
He seemed to beat everyone around. Awesome win list.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
WhyYouLittle
Stand Still
ESB Full Member

Yeah. I don't know how the hell this guy slips under radar. He beaten two of the most famous fighters of his generation, both ATG, and I don't even know how many champions, sometimes repeatedly. Get some good points for longevity too. Had an extremely clean record until the very end of his career.

EDIT: Messed that up. I was sure he had beaten Mclarnin too. But it was 'just' Tony Canzoneri. So that's 1 of the most famous fighters of his gen which was an ATG.

Last edited by WhyYouLittle; 08-14-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #10
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Sammy Mandell is definitely one of the most underrated greats, which is weird because some of his best performances are on film for all to see (McLarnin, Canzoneri).

He did fade pretty bad towards the end of his career I suppose, which could account for becoming somewhat overlooked...
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #11
Boxed Ears
Mirage Athleticism
East Side VIP

vCash: 129

It's funny how I see people saying things like "Calzaghe is an ATG but has a pretty weak resume for an ATG." but then you look at Mandell's resume and people are so confused about why he's rarely mentioned they have to ask if he even is an ATG or not. I blame Howie Mandel for this.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 02:35 AM   #12
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

If only his peak coincided with Barney Ross', we could have possibly had the greatest boxing chess match on film in the first half of the 20th Century.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
WhyYouLittle
Stand Still
ESB Full Member

[quote=sweet_scientist;13585823]Sammy Mandell is definitely one of the most underrated greats, which is weird because some of his best performances are on film for all to see (McLarnin, Canzoneri).

In fact that might have kinda hurt him. As I mentioned, he wasn't all that flashy. If Barney Ross with that beautiful textbook form of his was underapreciated for his lack of 'pop', imagine Mandell. As baffling as his style was, the best a casual fan can tell about Mandell is that he was fast.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #14
burt bienstock
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=WhyYouLittle;13588661]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Sammy Mandell is definitely one of the most underrated greats, which is weird because some of his best performances are on film for all to see (McLarnin, Canzoneri).

In fact that might have kinda hurt him. As I mentioned, he wasn't all that flashy. If Barney Ross with that beautiful textbook form of his was underapreciated for his lack of 'pop', imagine Mandell. As baffling as his style was, the best a casual fan can tell about Mandell is that he was fast.
WYL, Sammy Mandell was a helluva boxer, much in the style of a later day Ken Buchanan...But he was not to be compared to Barney Ross as an alltime great LW...Barney Ross aside from his text book boxing had the ability to trade with much harder punchers than he, and most likely was NEVER FLOORED ONCE...Ross had an iron chin much like the later WW Kid Gavilan.and was NEVER kod in 82 bouts against the best punchers of his era, McLarnin, Canzoneri, Billy Petrolle, Henry Armstrong, and the great punching MW Ceferino Garcia,whom the smaller Ross beat twice, once when Barney Ross had a broken hand...NO WW has it easy against a prime Barney Ross...
burt bienstock is online now  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 05:33 PM   #15
Legend X
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yes, he is an ATG.
Legend X is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum