Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-12-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
Meazy-E
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Diet

Alright, I'm a big guy, used to play football and wrestle, was in decent shape as far as my conditioning. After I stopped I got fat again. I'm trying to get into boxing, but I need to cut a lot of weight. I never was a big dieter, I was a heavyweight so cutting weight wasn't really needed, but I have cut out soda etc, and I'm doing some cardio to get back my stamina. What kind of stuff is good to cut out of my diet and what stuff should I eat to keep energy up.
Meazy-E is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2012, 01:48 AM   #2
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947
Default Re: Diet

Determining macronutrient targets relative to your goals and comprising your intake of sources that fit those said targets, whilst getting sufficient micronutrients is the basis of any 'good' diet. Don't get caught up in terms such as "clean" and "dirty foods and include foods of personal preference that relate to the first sentance. If you're training a lot, I'd advise more carbs.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Sam Sexton

vCash: 500

The only problem with playing about with macro and micro nutrients JDSM is that if you haven't already got a pretty good knowledge on nutrition then it's going to be hard to work out. For weight loss I would just stick to a few basic rules:

1. Make sure you get a source of protein with each meal.
2. Try and get at kleast 2 servings of fruit of veg with each meal.
3. Keep the bulk of your carbs post workout only.
4. Get a source of fats with all other meals.
5. Only eat 'natural' food (if it doesn't run, swim or grow try and avoid it.)

If you stick to these rules you can eat as much as you like (as long as you're not shoving food down your face once full) and you should see some good results.

Hope this helps Meazy-E!
Sam Sexton is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam ***ton View Post
The only problem with playing about with macro and micro nutrients JDSM is that if you haven't already got a pretty good knowledge on nutrition then it's going to be hard to work out. For weight loss I would just stick to a few basic rules:

1. Make sure you get a source of protein with each meal.
2. Try and get at kleast 2 servings of fruit of veg with each meal.
3. Keep the bulk of your carbs post workout only.
4. Get a source of fats with all other meals.
5. Only eat 'natural' food (if it doesn't run, swim or grow try and avoid it.)

If you stick to these rules you can eat as much as you like (as long as you're not shoving food down your face once full) and you should see some good results.

Hope this helps Meazy-E!
I agree with most of what you said, but the bold is plain wrong. You're saying I can consume 10,000 calories a day and I won't become obese just because I'm eating healthy foods. Doesn't work that way.

Also, your body becomes accustomed to consuming larger and larger amounts of food as the days go by. So the "don't eat once full" thing doesn't work.

It's worth putting in the work working out the calories you should be consuming. It really isn't that difficult if you actually want to do it.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #5
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
I agree with most of what you said, but the bold is plain wrong. You're saying I can consume 10,000 calories a day and I won't become obese just because I'm eating healthy foods. Doesn't work that way.

Also, your body becomes accustomed to consuming larger and larger amounts of food as the days go by. So the "don't eat once full" thing doesn't work.

It's worth putting in the work working out the calories you should be consuming. It really isn't that difficult if you actually want to do it.
This, 'calorie cutting for dummies' tactics can be a decent short term fix, but it's not that hard to calculate what you need and track it.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Sam Sexton

Quote:

You do realise how hard it would be to consume 10,000 calories following them rules don't you? Even if you were trying pretty damn hard you'd still only hit around 3000.

I'm not saying it's hard to work out the amount of calories you need to be eating I just can't see the point unless you're either a high level athlete or you're stalling on your current plan. If you want to gain weight and you're not putting the pounds on, eat more. If you want to lose weight but your body weight isn't shifting, eat less. It's as simple as you make it.

Plus the fact that although calories can give you a rough, they're pretty much bullshit. The way the figure out how many calories are in food is close to retarded.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #7
biglemon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1945

Quote:
You do realise how hard it would be to consume 10,000 calories following them rules don't you? Even if you were trying pretty damn hard you'd still only hit around 3000.

I'm not saying it's hard to work out the amount of calories you need to be eating I just can't see the point unless you're either a high level athlete or you're stalling on your current plan. If you want to gain weight and you're not putting the pounds on, eat more. If you want to lose weight but your body weight isn't shifting, eat less. It's as simple as you make it.

Plus the fact that although calories can give you a rough, they're pretty much bullshit. The way the figure out how many calories are in food is close to retarded.
I tend to agree with this, although I know what virus says is right also..
biglemon is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #8
Sam Sexton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
This, 'calorie cutting for dummies' tactics can be a decent short term fix, but it's not that hard to calculate what you need and track it.
Like I said in my above post I agree it's not difficult to figure out how many calories you need, I just don't really agree with the concept of them. Our bodies crave nutrients, not calories.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
You can't be serious. You honestly believe that eating healthy you'd find it difficult to consume more than 3000 calories?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
Sam Sexton

Quote:
You can't be serious. You honestly believe that eating healthy you'd find it difficult to consume more than 3000 calories?
Unless you tried to on purpose i.e if you were trying to gain weight, yes.

If you just look at a really rough example of a meal here for a 70kg fighter.

200g of chicken breast = 300cals, 50g of mixed nuts = 350cals 100g of veg = 100cals. Meal total around 750cals

Like I said rough figures but you could be getting in 4 decent size meals a day, and that's if you're upping your fat intake which most people don't do enough.

I see the point you're trying to make here, I just think people make it way harder on themselves then they need to.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:21 AM   #11
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Like I said in my above post I agree it's not difficult to figure out how many calories you need, I just don't really agree with the concept of them. Our bodies crave nutrients, not calories.
Which is why I said determine macronutrient numbers, which calories can be extrapolated from. Energy balance dictates weight, so whether you agree with them or not is quite irrelevant.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #12
DrBanzai
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Putting a great diet together is very easy, sticking to it is very, very hard.

Good luck.
DrBanzai is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 02:49 AM   #13
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBanzai View Post
Putting a great diet together is very easy, sticking to it is very, very hard.

Good luck.
It can be very easy if you impliment the concept of moderation. The most effective way of doing so is quantifying intake imo.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 04:51 AM   #14
Sam Sexton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
Which is why I said determine macronutrient numbers, which calories can be extrapolated from. Energy balance dictates weight, so whether you agree with them or not is quite irrelevant.
When I said I don't agree with them I was talking more about the way they're viewed. They're becoming kind of like slimfast points, "Eat X amount and you can lose weight" etc. as if eating 3 big macs a day would be better for fat loss than a healthy dieting containing 500 more calories.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #15
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
When I said I don't agree with them I was talking more about the way they're viewed. They're becoming kind of like slimfast points, "Eat X amount and you can lose weight" etc. as if eating 3 big macs a day would be better for fat loss than a healthy dieting containing 500 more calories.
Well it wouldn't be advisable or optimal, but it would lead to quicker weight loss.
Jdsm is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing