Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #16
Sam Sexton

vCash: 500
Default Re: Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
Well it wouldn't be advisable or optimal, but it would lead to quicker weight loss.
Short term weight loss maybe, long term fat loss though? Not many people are looking to lose muscle.
Sam Sexton is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #17
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam ***ton View Post
3. Keep the bulk of your carbs post workout only.
Curious why you recommend this. Is this strictly for a fat loss diet or a boxer's diet in general?
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #18
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Quote:
Short term weight loss maybe, long term fat loss though? Not many people are looking to lose muscle.
Which is firstly, why I put 'weight loss' as opposed to fat loss when I responded to that post

Secondly, it's also why I recommended that the OP determines macronutrients relative to his goals and tracks them.

Weight changes are dictated by energy balance. Body composition is dictated by macronutrient intake.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #19
Sam Sexton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand NOOBian View Post
Curious why you recommend this. Is this strictly for a fat loss diet or a boxer's diet in general?
It depends on a whole range of things but I would recommend this for most people mate. Too many people have carb heavy diets and don't include enough healthy fats.

One of the main reasons for me is that carbs spike your insulin, which unless you've just done a workout, is something you want to try and avoid. Give it a try for a few weeks and see how you feel.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #20
Sam Sexton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
Which is firstly, why I put 'weight loss' as opposed to fat loss when I responded to that post

Secondly, it's also why I recommended that the OP determines macronutrients relative to his goals and tracks them.

Weight changes are dictated by energy balance. Body composition is dictated by macronutrient intake.
It seems like we're arguing over something we both agree with haha! Woops.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #21
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
It depends on a whole range of things but I would recommend this for most people mate. Too many people have carb heavy diets and don't include enough healthy fats.

One of the main reasons for me is that carbs spike your insulin, which unless you've just done a workout, is something you want to try and avoid. Give it a try for a few weeks and see how you feel.
Combine carbs with other food that contains protein, fat and fibre then. Problem solved.
Also you could lose weight and be in great shape living off 3 big macs a day if your calorie count is below maintenance levels.
There's no such thing as good and bad foods. If you're getting nutrients it doesn't matter.
Quantity makes you put on weight not quality, all calories are equal.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #22
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:

Interesting. I read somewhere that carbs pre-workout is good for energy, so I've been trying to eat a bowl of oatmeal or a turkey sandwich on wheat 1.5-2 hrs before working out. My breakfasts/lunches usually contain more carbs than fat/protein too. I'll try limting my carb intake to post-workout and see how it goes. Doesn't the insulin spike depend on the type of carbs too though?

And there was that one college professor who lost like 30 pounds eating mostly twinkies and other dessert foods to prove that calories in vs. calories out is all that matters for weight loss. Read about some lady who also lost like 30 pounds eating nothing but McDonald's but staying within a restricted calorie range. Still, I don't think I'd ever want to try anything like that.

Last edited by Brand NOOBian; 08-14-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #23
death
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1687

Quote:
You do realise how hard it would be to consume 10,000 calories following them rules don't you? Even if you were trying pretty damn hard you'd still only hit around 3000.

I'm not saying it's hard to work out the amount of calories you need to be eating I just can't see the point unless you're either a high level athlete or you're stalling on your current plan. If you want to gain weight and you're not putting the pounds on, eat more. If you want to lose weight but your body weight isn't shifting, eat less. It's as simple as you make it.

Plus the fact that although calories can give you a rough, they're pretty much bullshit. The way the figure out how many calories are in food is close to retarded.
uh, consuming 3000 calories of good whole food is NOT hard. not in the least bit.
death is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #24
death
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1687

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Combine carbs with other food that contains protein, fat and fibre then. Problem solved.
Also you could lose weight and be in great shape living off 3 big macs a day if your calorie count is below maintenance levels.
There's no such thing as good and bad foods. If you're getting nutrients it doesn't matter.
Quantity makes you put on weight not quality, all calories are equal.
that is the definition of a good food, nutrient rich. if you eat 5000 cals of sugar vs 5000 cals of protein, carbs, and fat, sure there the same cals but how long do you think your going to live off a pure sugar diet?
death is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #25
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Count the calories and train hard.

Will power.
ant-man is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #26
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by death View Post
that is the definition of a good food, nutrient rich. if you eat 5000 cals of sugar vs 5000 cals of protein, carbs, and fat, sure there the same cals but how long do you think your going to live off a pure sugar diet?
That's not what he's saying, I don't think. If I've interpreted his post correctly, he is saying that it requires context. You can consume a diet of only "good" foods by your definition of nutrient rich and still have a shit diet relative to your goals.

I think the latter part of his post needs clarification though, not all calories are equal. From a pure energy standpoint, they are, as it's just a unit of energy - however 800kcal from protein isn't going to play the same role in the body as 900kcal of fat, again though - I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that is what he meant.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 05:15 PM   #27
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Also, in regards to consuming a bulk of your carbs post-workout, this is likely going to be detrimental to a lot of athletes, it's certainly the case for me. If it's due to that fact that you don't respond well to having a high carbohydrate meal prior to a workout, then that's fine. However, to do so because you're trying to manipulate endogenous hormone secretion is a pointless effort.

Insulin has developed into some feared hormone recently and is one of the reasons that people shit themselves over carbohydrate intake (another is the belief that de-novo lipogenesis is actually common in humans). Insulin isn't something to worry about (if you're a healthy individual, with a healthy insulin response). The reason people worry so much about insulin is based on the logic of:

High carb intake = Increased insulin secretion = Increased lipogenesis = Increased body fat storage

May seem logical, however; lipogenesis is only going to exceed lipolysis when you're in a post-prandial state. During extended periods of not eating, lipolysis is going to exceed lipogenesis. So, just like most things relating to diet, it's over-thought and often leads to a lot of unnecessary mental masterbation over the minutiae, as this is just another case of needing to look at the bigger picture. Over a 24 hour period, insulin levels are going to balance out and providing you are in a caloric defecit, lipolysis is going to exceed lipogenesis.

Cliffs:

Don't worry about insulin if you're healthy
Eat a caloric defecit if you want to lose weight
Jdsm is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing