Boxing News 24 Forum
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 09:27 PM   #1
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
Posts: 14,262
vCash: 1000
Default Rewatched Duran v Buchanan last night...

The picture in my avater gave me the idea actually, I have owned the fight on video for years & have seen it numerous times... but last night was the first in about 2+ years I`ve sat & watched it from first to last bell.

I used to think that Duran was extremely ragged in this fight & lacked technique... but after having seen more of Ken (as well as more of Duran) & just in general watched & learned more about boxing, I have to say that this was a terrific performance from a 20/21 year old kid vs (I hope I`m not getting carried away here but) a brilliant boxer in Ken Buchanan.

Buchanan had his moments but the sheer relentlessness, determination & stamina of Duran had Ken beat by about the 11th round (on my card).... this fight is a prime example of a young hungry kid that made his mind up before he was in that ring that nothing or no-one was going to stop him from achieving his dream.

This was the start of the legend that would become Roberto Duran......


[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 7,550
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rewatched Duran v Buchanan last night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
The picture in my avater gave me the idea actually, I have owned the fight on video for years & have seen it numerous times... but last night was the first in about 2+ years I`ve sat & watched it from first to last bell.

I used to think that Duran was extremely ragged in this fight & lacked technique... but after having seen more of Ken (as well as more of Duran) & just in general watched & learned more about boxing, I have to say that this was a terrific performance from a 20/21 year old kid vs (I hope I`m not getting carried away here but) a brilliant boxer in Ken Buchanan.

Buchanan had his moments but the sheer relentlessness, determination & stamina of Duran had Ken beat by about the 11th round (on my card).... this fight is a prime example of a young hungry kid that made his mind up before he was in that ring that nothing or no-one was going to stop him from achieving his dream.

This was the start of the legend that would become Roberto Duran......


[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I feel Buchanan won about 3 or 4 rounds. You?
Robbi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #3
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,585
vCash: 500
Default Re: Rewatched Duran v Buchanan last night...

Duran's footspeed in this was ridiculous.Buchanan himself having some of the quickest feet and best perimeter movement of any lightweight, but despite that and his educated straight punching he couldn't control the distance.

Duran never fought with this consistent pace and intensity again though.You would need a good punch and a helluva workrate to keep this version from storming in and making it an ugly fight.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
Posts: 14,262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rewatched Duran v Buchanan last night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
I feel Buchanan won about 3 or 4 rounds. You?
Anywhere from 2-4 is fair I would say
.... he was one tough bastard Buchanan, he wasn`t allowed to show how good a boxer he truly was in this fight due to Duran`s relentlessness but he showed just how well he could take a punch & his champions heart.

Ken definitely deserved a rematch, its a shame it never happened... I believe Duran even said years later that Buchanan was his toughest fight... not sure if he meant most difficult or toughest as in could take his best shots, probably the latter I would guess.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
Posts: 14,262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rewatched Duran v Buchanan last night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Duran's footspeed in this was ridiculous.Buchanan himself having some of the quickest feet and best perimeter movement of any lightweight, but despite that and his educated straight punching he couldn't control the distance.

Duran never fought with this consistent pace and intensity again though.You would need a good punch and a helluva workrate to keep this version from storming in and making it an ugly fight.
He showed shades of this relentlessness in the Dejesus 2 fight but not from beginning to end, he at least tried to box from range at times vs Dejesus... vs Ken he just made it a war of attrition from the get-go.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yoknapatawpha
Posts: 3,356
vCash: 475
Default Re: Rewatched Duran v Buchanan last night...

A great coming out party for a great fighter. If there had been p4p ratings back then Buchanan probably would have been top 10.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,213
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rewatched Duran v Buchanan last night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Duran never fought with this consistent pace and intensity again though.
Personally Buchanan fight impressed me a lot more than the somewhat methodical beatings of Dejesus or lethargic Viruet fights.

Similar to Azumah Nelson situation - he certainly improved after Sanchez fight but probably never fought with the same intensity again.
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,704
vCash: 500
Default Re: Rewatched Duran v Buchanan last night...

The New York Press had Roberto Duran as a 2-1 Underdog.

'New York Daily News'

'This now spoiled Panamanian is all brawn, and no style. The well-schooled Scot
will box from a distance, and keep this wild-child away from him for several rounds.
But by Round 6, Ken Buchanan will show this rough mauling street fighter from
El Chorillo, Panama what technical boxing is all about.


'The WBA Lightweight Champion will jab with his pin-point left hand, which will
set-up his piston-like right hand. This combination will be landed at ease over the
second-half of the bout, and should direct Ken Buchanan to a stoppage victory
by a TKO in 12.'

Last edited by Senor Pepe'; 08-13-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,585
vCash: 500
Default Re: Rewatched Duran v Buchanan last night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester1583 View Post
Personally Buchanan fight impressed me a lot more than the somewhat methodical beatings of Dejesus or lethargic Viruet fights.

Similar to Azumah Nelson situation - he certainly improved after Sanchez fight but probably never fought with the same intensity again.
True, Nelson was a maniac that night.The problem for him fighting like that though, was he lacked the defensive awareness Duran had naturally when fighting with that pace and aggression...not that Duran's defensive skills didn't improve technically from circa the BUchanan fight, but he always had that great spacial awareness.Nelson on the other hand was nearly as open as Morales in that fight.

Still probably could have had a really good career had he stayed as a high-tempo aggressor.It might not have worked as well against someone like Villasana as his eventual style did though.

Duran would have been as much of a beast as he ever was at lightweight, had he kept that approach going.Probably annihilates the likes of Viruet, Fernandez etc without the boring rounds of coasting and measuring.He wouldn't have been as successful above 135 though, especially into the 80s.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #10
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,585
vCash: 500
Default Re: Rewatched Duran v Buchanan last night...

All that being said

Buchanan KO6 had he been able to wield the check hook
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #11
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
Posts: 14,262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rewatched Duran v Buchanan last night...

I think Buchanan might have did better vs the more controlled versions of Duran, it would have given him a chance to use his boxing skills more... I`d obviously still fancy Duran to win but it would have likely been a closer fight.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #12
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 37,765
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rewatched Duran v Buchanan last night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
.You would need a good punch and a helluva workrate to keep this version from storming in and making it an ugly fight.
Who are you thinking?
McGrain is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:37 AM   #13
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,342
vCash: 816
Default Re: Rewatched Duran v Buchanan last night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Who are you thinking?
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHoTb_oXgvE[/ame]
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #14
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
Posts: 14,262
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rewatched Duran v Buchanan last night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Mosely wouldn`t beat Duran.

This version of Duran would outwork him & the more mature version would outbox him, he`s too good overall for Mosely who while a great fighter himself is a level below Duran.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,342
vCash: 816
Default Re: Rewatched Duran v Buchanan last night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
Mosely wouldn`t beat Duran.

This version of Duran would outwork him & the more mature version would outbox him, he`s too good overall for Mosely who while a great fighter himself is a level below Duran.
Not at Lightweight he wasn't "a level below" at all. Shane was Faster, more powerful IMO.

Duran had better fundamentals if we're nitpicking but Duran would make it a fire fight and that would play right into Shane's hands.
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015