PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default James toney: The best I've faced

by James Toney
Sep 9th, 2009
Share this story

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ][Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]In a new RingTV.com feature, James Toney reveals the best he faced in 10 categories during his long career.
James Toney enters his 20th year in professional boxing with Saturdayís non-televised bout against Matthew Greer on the undercard of Showtimeís Andre Ward-Shelby Pudwill offering. Who knows how far Toney will get in what has to be the last hurrah of his hall-of-fame career but he certainly has a lot to look back on, which the former three-division titleholder did recently with RingTV.com. In what will become a regular blog item featuring the most accomplished fighterís of our generation, Toney lists the best he faced in 10 important categories.

Best fighter: Mike McCallum -- Thatís an easy choice, right off the top of my head itís the Body Snatcher. He was the best fighter I fought at middleweight, super middleweight and cruiserweight. Out of all the fighters I fought, I respect him the most because he made me think about everything I tried to do. Before McCallum I was just runniní in on everyone, but he made me slow down and think for the first time.

Best Boxer: McCallum -- Yup, itís him again. Itís between McCallum and Michael Nunn, but I gotta go with McCallum because he was a master boxer who wasnít afraid to stand his ground. Nunn was mostly fast. I admit that he outboxed me for about nine rounds, but my body shots slowed him down. I told him during the fight ĎIím gonna catch you!í And I did.

Best puncher: Merqui Sosa -- Sam Peter is the hardest puncher Iíve fought, but pound-for-pound itís Sosa because he hurt me the most. Iíll never forget that fight, we fought on an ESPN show in Atlantic City on a Sunday. I went at him like I did everyone back then and that mother f_____ hit me so hard in the third round I was seeing triple for the next three rounds. He knew how to hit and he was so awkward that I couldnít time him and he caught me high on the head.

Quickest hands: Roy Jones -- He was fast. Iíll give him that, but thatís all Iíll give him. I would have knocked him out if I wasnít drained from losing 44 pounds in six weeks. I went in (that fight) like a fool and wasnít properly prepared.

Quickest feet: Nunn -- He had some fast-ass feet (laughing), didnít he? He was an escape artist for nine or 10 rounds, Ďtil I caught up to him.

Best defense: McCallum: He was right there in front of me, but I had a hard time hitting him with clean punches. I basically came into my own by fighting him. I learned how to be elusive without running around the ring by fighting Mike McCallum three times.

Best chin: Tony Thornton: The punching postman from Philly! (laughs) I thought I was gonna knock him out easy. He was squared up with his chin right there for me to hit but I hit him with every punch I had and he wouldnít budge. I hit him with my best left hook and he didnít blink.

Best jab: McCallum: Mikeís jab was like a piston. There were other guys I fought who had good jabs, like Nunn and Jones, but they just had speed and they just flicked it. Mike popped that jab with authority. He was an old-school fighter.

Strongest: Samuel Peter: He was just a big-ass African with brute African strength.

Smartest: McCallum: Come on, who do you think it is? Whoís the one fighter I truly respect? You got it, the Body Snatcher, Mike McCallum. I fought my share of boxers who thought they were clever like Roy Jones, Michael Nunn, Montell Griffin, and Reggie Johnson, but they were all scared to really fight. McCallum boxed, he fought, he defended, and he didnít run all over the ring. He could do all that because he was smart.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
sas6789
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: James toney: The best I've faced

Very complimentary about McCallum
sas6789 is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas6789 View Post
Very complimentary about McCallum
Seems to be mutual.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Love seeing Mike get props like that. Jones is obviously the best he faced, though, although Mike was much more skilled.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

[quote=Bokaj;13589270]Love seeing Mike get props like that. Jones is obviously the best he faced, though, although Mike was much more skilled.[/QUOTE]

turbotime is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Seems to be mutual.
Yeah. What surprised me was that Mike said that Toney had improved a lot by the rubber fight. That was probably very true, but seeing how that fight was the only one Toney clearly won I was a bit surprised that Mike was so honest about it. The usual take from fighters is that the opponent was at his best when he got clearly beat, not the other way around.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=turbotime;13589285]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Love seeing Mike get props like that. Jones is obviously the best he faced, though, although Mike was much more skilled.[/QUOTE]

I've often defended Jones against those who try to make him out to be a Hamed kind of fighter, but no way no how was he even close to being close to being as skilled as Mike. Give Jones the same level of physical abilities as McCallum had and he won't be much above journeyman status. Reverse their respective speed, reflexes and power when they actually met and Jones doesn't make it out of the first minute of the first round. Not the first 30 seconds.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
p.falk
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Toney never gave Jirov much credit did he?
p.falk is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 04:07 PM   #9
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post

I've often defended Jones against those who try to make him out to be a Hamed kind of fighter, but no way no how was he even close to being close to being as skilled as Mike. Give Jones the same level of physical abilities as McCallum had and he won't be much above journeyman status. Reverse their respective speed, reflexes and power when they actually met and Jones doesn't make it out of the first minute of the first round. Not the first 30 seconds.
Being the most skilled usually is the one who makes whatever they can work for them to their advantage.

Sure, McCallum had the classic boxer style but that doesn't mean his skills were better. Maybe his jab but everything else Roy has an edge in. Lead shots, foot work, combination punching, evasiveness, etc.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #10
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I guess he dosen't hold Dave Tiberi in high esteem.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Being the most skilled usually is the one who makes whatever they can work for them to their advantage.

Sure, McCallum had the classic boxer style but that doesn't mean his skills were better. Maybe his jab but everything else Roy has an edge in. Lead shots, foot work, combination punching, evasiveness, etc.
No. Won't spend time educating you on boxing, but the simple fact is that McCallum was a top level fighter even without a semblance of speed and power. Slow Jones down to McCallum's level and he's nothing. Give Mike Jones' speed, reflexes and power and he's absolutely untouchable. No need to make it more complicated than that.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
Garrus
Big Boss 1935-2014
ESB Addict

Location: A Hero Forever Loyal To The Flames Of War, Rests in Outer Heaven
vCash: 157

Bokaj schooling fools.

Toney's alot more honest than I thought he'd be.
Garrus is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #13
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

Jones is far more skilled than McCallum. His ring IQ is criminally underrated.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 04:27 PM   #14
brnxhands
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

Doesnt sound like James from the way its written.
brnxhands is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
Jones is far more skilled than McCallum. His ring IQ is criminally underrated.
When you make it look as easy as he did, apparently it makes you one-dimensional Jones could K you TFO or win every round of the fight.

Crazy how underrated his skills are by the casual fans.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum