Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #1
dudester33

vCash: 1000
Default level Of Fitness Before Joining A Gym?

Hi Guys/gals,

I have let myself get totally out of shape for the good past few years, had quite a few traumatic things happen, ended up drinking and smoking and really just a path of self destruction to drown it all into oblivion.

Obviously this couldn't continue as I'm getting older in life and have managed to get off this train to nowhere. I've always been interested in boxing, mainly watching and some stuff my father put me through when I was kid. So I've decide why not let one of my passions also be my motivator.

I've given up smoking and drinking, but am still extremely out of shape. I'm currently running every second day, couple of minutes then rest and continue this for half an hour now. I also started some shadow boxing and skipping, this was going well till I started to strain and bruise something in my right elbow. I believe this is down to poor form and throwing to hard whilst hitting thin air?

I realise without proper tuition I'll probably end doing my self more harm than good, this is where joining a gym and proper training will serve me well I imagine. I however don't want to go to a gym and waste a coaches time due to my fitness, his time would be far more valuable spent with youngsters and on other potential.

I imagine there are others who where once in my shoes, possibly not my age and level of fitness of course, but would appreciate any input as to what level my fitness should be close too, before wasting others time.

I should mention I haven't always been out of shape, in my teens and early twenties I was quite fit, I'm not sure how this would translate though many years later. Just now it appears irrelevant as I'm struggling to run past half a mile without almost collapsing.

If anyone has a couple of spare minutes with nothing on and could give a reply, much appreciated.
dudester33 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Jappa
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: level Of Fitness Before Joining A Gym?

Start slowly and I think you're being a bit paranoid about coaches wasting time. That's there job... to get people in shape.
Jappa is online now  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Hammer Muldoon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Honestly mate, don't get fit to go to the gym, get fit by going to the gym. I went to my local amateur gym for the first time just a few weeks ago and i wish i'd gone sooner. Don't worry about your lack of fitness and experience, everyone has to start somewhere.
Hammer Muldoon is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #4
MidnightMindz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Muldoon View Post
Honestly mate, don't get fit to go to the gym, get fit by going to the gym. I went to my local amateur gym for the first time just a few weeks ago and i wish i'd gone sooner. Don't worry about your lack of fitness and experience, everyone has to start somewhere.
Exactly what this guy said.

To the starter of this thread, I really commend your desire to get in shape on your own first, that takes guts, but find a gym as soon as possible. There's no other motivation like a trainer yelling at you for 3 hours, and if you can't keep up, most will understand, as long as you're trying your hardest. You'll be sore the next day, but stay persistent and your hard work will bear fruit with the improvement you'll see on a weekly basis.

This is my greatest advice to always get you to the gym.

If you feel like boxing. Box. If you feel like doing other things in your life. Too bad, GO BOX. And especially when you don't want to box, your 1# one choice as mandated by me is to BOX! I don't care if you never have an amateur fight in your life, punch that 300lb heavy bag like you're going to tear it in two every single time! When you're doing roadwork and you're exhausted, no matter how slow you have to go. never stop jogging until you've reached the destination. Eat and sleep like a bear. Keep this up for a year, and you will be a new man.
MidnightMindz is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
dudester33

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. Some real inspirational comments.

I've got an appointment at a regular fitness & weights gym shortly, it's one of them package deals where they first assess you. This was given as an early present by a close family member to keep me motivated.

I would rather have had a membership to a local boxing club, but have kept this to myself just now, as I was badly hurt last year, this took nearly half a year to recover from, and I know my immediate family would be worried I could end up with similar injuries.

The thing they don't understand is what happened crushed my everyday confidence, and whilst I would be taken some sort of punishment eventually at the boxing. I can only see this training helping me restore some confidence and getting me back to a decent level of health & fitness again.

Thanks again for the comments, I'm going to start scoping out local boxing gyms in my area and sign up.
dudester33 is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I was in the mindset of trying to get fit before joining a boxing gym too. So I ended up going to a reg gym, then quitting, and then never going to a boxing gym. This happened several times throughout the course of a few years. Then I moved to an area that has a boxing gym within a 5 min walk. I was really intimidated when I first walked in and felt stupid the 1st month of training, but I think getting myself to just suck it up and join a boxing gym has been one of the best decisions I've made in my life for my overall health/confidence. Good luck to you.
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I was already in decent shape (looks wise). Hit the weights, did some basic cardio.
Jumped in the ring, and realized I was nowhere near the level of conditioning and cardio needed to train. But I didn't give up, I just kept on training.
Don't worry, everyone starts off slow. I'm not gonna lie though. You gotta have above average cardio to even train for boxing. However, fitness clubs are a good place to start. Heck, even many hardcore boxing gyms still have cardio classes for ordinary regular people who just want to get in shape and have no desire to compete. How do you think they pay the bills?
So, my point is - I can respect the idea of getting in decent shape first, before any serious training. But many boxing gyms can help you get on board on both levels. Good luck, and keep positive. Attitude is everything in this sport.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
bck620
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

And don't worry about the coaches and the more experienced guys. If you have a good attitude, do your best, try to learn and work hard, everyone will appreciate and respect you regardless of your fitness level.

It's not where you start, it's where you finish.
bck620 is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 05:51 AM   #9
det
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I was in pretty much the same boat, and i can honestly say joining a boxing a couple of months ago is the best thing ive done in a long time. Injured at the moment, and i'm missing it like mad!!
det is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

What everyone here is saying. Saying I'm going to get fit first is just an excuse putting it off. Just jump in you'll get fit and don't worry about wasting anyones time you're paying for a service. As long as you don't ***** out and push yourself no one is going to think less of you.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 11-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
Jboogaloo

Dudester,

Not sure if you've jumped in to the boxing gym or not (I'm sure many here hope so). I wanted to just bump this in hopes you'll see it and give us an update (it's always great seeing someone progress). Anyhow, best of luck to ya on your path to getting in shape!
Jboogaloo is offline  Top
Old 12-01-2012, 09:58 AM   #12
vichrz
Journeyman

Same here, joined a few months ago, and the had coach often gives me shit for starting so late (I'm 17), but I understand how you can miss it. Training sort of becomes addicting, and wakes you up all of the sudden yeah? maybe that's just me.

diggin' the Forest avatar by the way. Go Reds lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by det View Post
I was in pretty much the same boat, and i can honestly say joining a boxing a couple of months ago is the best thing ive done in a long time. Injured at the moment, and i'm missing it like mad!!
vichrz is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #13
Antonio245

Genuinely partner, don't get fit to go to the gym, get fit by going to the gym or hire a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]. I went to my regional beginner gym for the first time just a couple of several weeks ago and i wish i'd gone earlier. Don't fear about your deficiency of health and fitness and encounter, everyone has to start somewhere.

Last edited by Antonio245; 02-15-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Antonio245 is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
ant-man
ant
ESB Addict

Another one bites the dust...

ant-man is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #15
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Damn you n00b thread-bumpers!!!!
KillSomething is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing