Old 08-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Ricky Hatton: The best I've faced

by Michael Rosenthal
Mar 2nd, 2011

Ricky Hatton seems to be remembered best for the thunderous punch from Manny Pacquiao that ended his career in 2009. The two-division titleholder was much more than that, though.Hatton had a dominating run through the junior welterweight division in the first half of the last decade, dispatching a number of quality 140 pounders before his defining 11th-round knockout of now-Hall of Famer Kostya Tszyu in 2005. And the pride of Manchester, England, made fans worldwide with his fast-paced, aggressive attack that ended most of his fights short of the distance.
Hatton would run his record to a remarkable 43-0 (31 knockouts) before finally meeting his match in 2007 against Floyd Mayweather Jr. at 147 pounds.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]The fearless Briton gave a spirited performance, as usual, but ultimately fell victim to the Americanís sublime skills and otherworldly speed, the final result being a 10th-round knockout.
Hatton wasnít finished, though. He outpointed Juan Lazcano and then stopped Paulie Malignaggi in 11 rounds to set up a huge fight with an emerging superstar, Pacquiao, in May 2009.
Alas, Pacquiao, too fast and too good for his overmatched foe, dominated from the opening bell. Hatton went down twice in the first round and then was put to sleep with a left hand that rocked the boxing world and ended Hattonís career.
Hatton, who walked out of the ring in disgust that night, certainly didnít leave the sport on his terms. However, when we reflect on his career, weíll remember his greatest moments along with the worst.
Here are the best fighters Hatton has faced:
Best overall: I would say Manny Pacquiao. Just his speed. Southpaw. Obviously he hits very hard. Floyd Mayweather also was very good but the more and more I see Manny Pacquiao, maybe Iím shifting to him. And Kostya Tszyu, he was a deadly, deadly puncher.
Best boxer: Oh, Floyd Mayweather. Technically, he was very, very good. Defense. Boxing. Choosing his moments to step on the gas. Defenseively, he is a genius, really.
Best puncher: Quite obviously I would have to say Manny Pacquiao. He just seems to be getting stronger as he moves up in weight.
Best defense: Floyd Mayweather.
Fastest hands: I thought Floyd was very, very quick. Pacquiao was very, very quick too but the fight was over before I could really know. I would say Floyd.
Fastest feet: Floyd was fast on his feet. But he planted his feet; thatís his natural defensive stance. Probably Pacquiao had the fastest feet.
Best chin: Tszyu. I would say probably Tszyu. I hit him with some good shots and he stayed in there. In the end, I had to put out quite an effort to take him down.
Strongest: Kostya Tszyu. Juan Urango was physically very strong but he didnít have the speed, really. He was just strong.
Smartest: Floyd Mayweather. No doubt.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Default Re: Ricky Hatton: The best I've faced

I think thisis a thoroughly honest analysis on Hattons part, not in any way self serving.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
TartanSoldier
Barnburner.
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Enjoying these threads! Thanks.
TartanSoldier is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #4
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 79

Really enjoying these, thanks. I loved Toney's responses in his, as well.
Rock0052 is online now  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 06:50 PM   #5
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Refreshingly honest. Pacquiao, Mayweather and Tszyu were truly the three most outstanding opponents that he faced, and seeing anybody's name in there other than theirs would have been odd, aside from the Urango mention for strength (he was obviously a massive 140 lber).
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Brownies
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Yup, probably the most honest or predictable we've seen so far... It makes you wonder if the other ones were not simply trying to tell a better story by inserting some different names here and there.
Brownies is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
BENNY BLANCO
R.I.P. Brooklyn1550
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Yeah this one seemed more honest than most "The Best I've Faced" questionnaires......Most boxers seem to give more or only credit to fighters whom they beat rather to the ones who beat them.
BENNY BLANCO is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
punchy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Actually shows Hatton is a pretty clear headed and honest bloke
punchy is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

The Urango call isn't surprising at all. He was certainly not an elite fighter but he was a damn tank.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 12:24 AM   #10
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Great answers, it all seems to ring true.
Bogotazo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum