Old 08-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816
Default Re: Oscar De La Hoya "The best I fought"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
Gatti hit De La Hoya with an absolute haymaker.

Way, way more solid than anything Trinidad caught him with. It was the only punch Arturo hit Oscar with that meant anything, but I have no trouble believing that Oscar still remembers that particular shot.
Yup, huge winging hook in the very first round It was a huge ****ing shot to be honest.
turbotime is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Yeah Tito didn't land many meaningful shots on Oscar.

I was fully expecting Quartey as hardest puncher. I'll never forget the post fight interview when he was asked about a rematch, etc. and Oscar immediately and indirectly declined. He started joking and making light of it by saying basically he had bigger fish to fry...

His eyes got so big when he said "Quartey is a hard puncher"... You could tell Oscar had been blasted and he didn't like it. It left a big impression.

Quartey bucked him. I do believe Gatti hit plenty hard too. That says alot that he said Gatti and not Quartey.
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #18
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
The Gatti one is the one I struggled with personally. I am also not sure whether it was a mere token comment to a fallen warrior...I was excpecting Tito, who Oscar does not seem to refrence at all....not sure if he has little respect for tito, bitterness over the loss or if he just does not think as highly of him as the others he listed???
Trinidad didn't hurt him... neither did Gatti though. Mosley should have got a mention. Good list overall
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #19
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
Yeah Tito didn't land many meaningful shots on Oscar.

I was fully expecting Quartey as hardest puncher. I'll never forget the post fight interview when he was asked about a rematch, etc. and Oscar immediately and indirectly declined. He started joking and making light of it by saying basically he had bigger fish to fry...

His eyes got so big when he said "Quartey is a hard puncher"... You could tell Oscar had been blasted and he didn't like it. It left a big impression.

Quartey bucked him. I do believe Gatti hit plenty hard too. That says alot that he said Gatti and not Quartey.
Just because your knees give a bit when hit doesn't mean the shot was necessarily a damaging one in terms of pain. I've been buckled by guys, and thhit in the face by others and the hits in the face hurt more than the shot that buckled me.

Every shot has different effects pain-wise.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #20
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

I didn't mention his reaction in the ring, which speaks for itself. To interpret it any other way than DelaHoya being hit alarmingly hard is a biased stretch.

I was referring to his post fight interview and his admission that Quartey bucked him and his immediate dismissal of any possibility of a rematch, and it's pretty obvious why. I believe that was the hardest Oscar had ever been hit until that point in his career.

I'm aware every shot has different effects. I've been blasted myself.
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #21
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
I didn't mention his reaction in the ring, which speaks for itself. To interpret it any other way than DelaHoya being hit alarmingly hard is a biased stretch.

I was referring to his post fight interview and his admission that Quartey bucked him and his immediate dismissal of any possibility of a rematch, and it's pretty obvious why. I believe that was the hardest Oscar had ever been hit until that point in his career.

I'm aware every shot has different effects. I've been blasted myself.
Yeah, and to be fair he hadn't fought Gatti yet. Who knows though. Kinda hard to tell Oscar who hit him the hardest when he was the one in there taking the shots.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:23 PM   #22
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

I just said what I expected him to say. Gatti was a puncher, no doubt. I just think it was clear from his body language and his choice of words in that interview that he hadn't been hit like that before then.
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #23
kwilson71
#MAYDAY
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

this was great
kwilson71 is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #24
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

No suprise there that Chavez & Whitaker were the best he`d ever fought, I could have told him that shit.

Oscar should just thank his lucky stars that he never encountered either of these legends in their prime
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #25
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I believe Trinidad was the best he ever faced..However if you watch that fight for 10 rounds Oscar is giving Tito a boxing lesson...And we all know what happened next..
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2012, 02:28 AM   #26
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
I believe Trinidad was the best he ever faced..However if you watch that fight for 10 rounds Oscar is giving Tito a boxing lesson...And we all know what happened next..
I really think people overstate this! I did have DLH winning by 1, but 1) this was no robbery 2) he was not giving him a boxing lesson 3) he gave the fight away and has no one to blame but himself.

I am also not convinced that Tito was hands down the best that Oscar fought. Oscar fought some very good quality guys and Tito is certainly in the equasion for the best Oscar fought.
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum