Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 08-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
bazza12
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 556
Default Couple of Questions

I've been wanting to go back to a boxing gym to lose some weight and get back some fitness. From 16 up until about 19 I trained and sparred at a decent gym. I got into it and was close to going amateur though with University upcoming I panicked and decided not to continue my training.

I'm now 21, with a better handle on things, though through socializing, working 9 to 5 last year and what have you, I have put on weight, so today I went to a local "cross-combat gym". It does boxing as well as wrestling and other things, so thought I'd give it a try.

It ended up being a mat, barefoot, no padwork or bagwork. We warmed up and then we were paired up for light sparring, working certain combinations before turning the heat up towards the end. Some people did not wear headgear, gumshields, hand-wraps and the glove quality was dire. Basically an hour of sparring one to one.

I have always been able to take a punch, but going up against several beginners one after the other, in what was pretty much an open space, I feel like I didn't do myself justice. I was happy to take a few early on (stupid I know), simply because I knew the guys I was up against were newbies, but then two of them in particular just started to take a few liberties.

I don't know if it was the crap organization (I felt like this barely qualified for a boxing gym), the lack of a genuine ring and adequate safety (headgear, gumshields etc) or just the fact I'm slightly older and never really had much head movement anyway, but basically, do you guys have any opinions on my shoddy performance from the above?

Should I go to another gym? Give up the ghost altogether? I love the sport but felt a bit let down by my experience at this gym today. Any questions or opinions are welcome.

Apologies for the essay, cheers.
bazza12 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
SugarRayRobin
Journeyman

vCash: 1055
Default Re: Couple of Questions

Find a proper boxing gym, not a 'cross-combat gym'.
SugarRayRobin is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
Kenwinn BC

vCash: 500

This sounds like a wanna-be MMA gym. I wouldn't stay but that's up to you.
Kenwinn BC is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
bazza12
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 556

Yep cheers SRR, Kenwinn.

They are my honest thoughts too. It's the only truly local gym to me, others I could get are a good while away, but I'd rather not go if I'm not going to do any fitness work or get any real critique on my technique.
bazza12 is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #5
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Sounds like a gym run by clowns. I might give it one more day to get a better impression. If someone knowledgeable and responsible doesn't show up, then the place is destined to have nothing but clowns running it, and training there.
Speechless is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing