Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #31
DJB1
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Re: Australian boxing how hard would it be to get a fighter thats just average to 10

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
DJB1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2012, 07:45 AM   #32
StiffJab
Butcher Berridge
ESB Addict

vCash: 2746
Default Re: Australian boxing how hard would it be to get a fighter thats just average to 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Puncher View Post
Yeah mate, have a look at the top fighters from the Commonwealth Games from Australia. 95% of them lost their first few fights. Alot started as Cadets too.
I lost my first 3

Made me train harder and it taught me a lot in life also made the wins that much better and enjoyable
StiffJab is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #33
Above Deck
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB1 View Post

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Judging off Paddy Murphys box rec record, Id be inclined to say that
it wouldn't be terribly hard at all to get a boxer to 10-0.

Murphys only fought 1 guy in 6 that actually had a win in their past
5 fights! Sad thing is, there is probably worse padded records than Murphys
out there.
Above Deck is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #34
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Sometimes you have to look a little deeper than what's just on a record. Fighting a 45 fight veteran in your second fight is impressive, no matter what. Kurt Finlayson is a world Muay Thai champion apparently, with 92 fights under his belt. His last opponent was a late replacement that was a Middleweight. There's more to going through a record than red and green squares.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 08-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #35
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express View Post
Sometimes you have to look a little deeper than what's just on a record. Fighting a 45 fight veteran in your second fight is impressive, no matter what. Kurt Finlayson is a world Muay Thai champion apparently, with 92 fights under his belt. His last opponent was a late replacement that was a Middleweight. There's more to going through a record than red and green squares.
true
Crusher is online now  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #36
christopher23

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiffJab View Post
The truth

Party Barnes Irelands Olympic bronze medalist lost his first 15 fights. He loved training that much he never gave up and won the European and commonwealth gold.
thats unbelievable,Party Barnes you never gave up,will power my man,you got yr just deserts & rightly so....
christopher23 is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #37
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
There is more to going through a record than just red and green squares.

Watching YouTube videos of a boxer's recent performances is a good first hand method of assessing where they are at. Certainly more reliable than just asking someone else's opinion
Old 08-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #38
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

Not really. Fights at a weight limit on short notice, resulting in a boxer boiling down aren't a great guide either.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #39
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Not really. Fights at a weight limit on short notice, resulting in a boxer boiling down aren't a great guide either.
Watching footage of a fighter is always useful in making an assessment of them, and naturally if there are extenuating circumstances they need to be factored in. Seeing things for yourself is far more reliable than relying on other people's opinions. Particularly in a sport like this.

Fights where a fighter is continually knocked down should be of particular interest for a number of reasons, and regardless of the circumstances
Old 08-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #40
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

I'd take an opinion of a well respected official who was ringside of a guy competing at his most natural weight against a quality opponent, than older footage. Having since getting a hold of the fight in question, his opinion was accurate, as always.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #41
TCboxa
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 346

Not always the case Spider, look at Tarvers last fight b4 he fought Danny, because Dannys people did the same thing your talking about and paid the price, dont always judge a book by its cover, yes its a good guide line , had me thinking Tarver was washed up also but there is alot more to it than that as Tarver has proven by pumping Danny Green after a horrible fight at HW.
TCboxa is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #42
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCboxa View Post
Not always the case Spider, look at Tarvers last fight b4 he fought Danny, because Dannys people did the same thing your talking about and paid the price, dont always judge a book by its cover, yes its a good guide line , had me thinking Tarver was washed up also but there is alot more to it than that as Tarver has proven by pumping Danny Green after a horrible fight at HW.
It is a good guide line as you said, and one that when available, should be used. Crazy not to.

But as I said in my earlier post, if there are extenuating circumstances they need to be factored in as well.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:17 AM   #43
Phill-Mitchell
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Really easy from what I've seen, same as the uk.

We import fat Latvian plumbers, you import fat Thai kickboxing sparring partners!
Phill-Mitchell is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #44
DJB1
Journeyman

Yes thats all true, but when a go is 5-0 fighting a guy who is 1-6
DJB1 is offline  Top
Old 08-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #45
TCboxa
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB1 View Post
Yes thats all true, but when a go is 5-0 fighting a guy who is 1-6
even worse when its for a so called proffesional state title. i cant fathom how the authorities back this and allow it.
TCboxa is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum